NASA Clipper Depth Sounder not working.Also Log.

Binman

Visit site
On the display unit I can see small red lights behind every button but screen remains blank? On the Clipper log I can get previous mileage but no speed was showing on my first trip for a year. Never gave it a thought until boat launched, will check the wiring on both units but what other checks can I carry out? Small red lights also showing behind buttons as depth sounder.

adamlang

Visit site
Can't help too much with the depth sounder, might be worth checking whether the button lights and its main power run off separate wires so the lights can be switched on and off independently - sounds like the lights are powered on but no main power.

On the log, I have a similar problem with my Raymarine ST60 log, always shows a speed of zero, and no change to the recorded log. The last couple of winters while the boat is ashore I've flicked the paddle wheel with my finger and someone in the cockpit has reported a reading. So my assumption as been that its just getting weeded up, but every time it happens straight away so I started researching it a little more. I've ended up buying a new service kit which includes a new wheel, the axle it spins on and a bunch of new seals. I have to say that the new wheel while not yet fitted spins on its axle much more freely that the one currently on the boat. Apparently the bearing can wear out, or the axle gets bent during a lift out/in.

I also found this video about how to check that the electronic signal from the magnets on the paddle wheel is being transmitting correctly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA5Cr1aP3ek
and part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kjfn-Q-7r8

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Can't help too much with the depth sounder, might be worth checking whether the button lights and its main power run off separate wires so the lights can be switched on and off independently - sounds like the lights are powered on but no main power.

Only one +12v suppy on the NASA head unit.

Not hard to take the head units apart and check/clean internal connections.

Binman

Visit site
I have been given a new NASA transducer for depth gauge what coaxle coupling would I need to join the cable together.
I'm aware I will need to maintain the existing cable length. One other question my boat a Pandora 700 has twin keels should the transponder be forward of the keels, at the moment it has been fixed just inside the cabin step in a locker.
I did visit Maplins they had a huge selection for tv and other equipment so I was completely lost, many looked far to big to suit the cable which is quite thin.
I have been told by a club member to ditch my unit and buy another on the information I told him.Any helpful advice please.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I have been given a new NASA transducer for depth gauge what coaxle coupling would I need to join the cable together.
I'm aware I will need to maintain the existing cable length. One other question my boat a Pandora 700 has twin keels should the transponder be forward of the keels, at the moment it has been fixed just inside the cabin step in a locker.
I did visit Maplins they had a huge selection for tv and other equipment so I was completely lost, many looked far to big to suit the cable which is quite thin.
I have been told by a club member to ditch my unit and buy another on the information I told him.Any helpful advice please.
Drop NASA an e-mail they are very helpful. Might even sell you the right coax.

MikeCC

www.allGadgets.co.uk
The co-ax is 75ohm so you should use fittings with that rating. Good quality TV co-ax type would be fine. I'm not normally keen on solder on boats, but I would solder the cores to the centre pin/socket. Keep the join out of the bilge and ideally cover in heat shrink or failing that, self-amalgamating tape.
Yes, transducer should be forward.