NASA AIS "Radar" Receiver

fireball

Visit site
Re: how depressing

It would be interesting to know how many ships the AISLive website isn't showing ... cos there looks like quite a few around!

<hr width=100% size=1>

steverow

Visit site
Re: how depressing

Looking on AISLive.com, most of the Cross channel ferries seem to fitted with AIS.
Even the Emeraud Fast cat Jersey to St malo shows up, so on that evidence it would seem that most (at least round the UK) have it, even though it may be voluntary fit.

Steve

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Re: AIS seems like a major benefit...

Agreed AIS is not a threat to radar, it is a new safety measure for those who have ruled out the fitting of radar.

In some situations AIS will be safer than radar because:

1 - Collision prediction is automated, ideal for the short handed crew.
2 - AIS is inherantly more acurate with collision prediction reduced to O level maths computed in the AIS device.

The Wahkuna incident is unlikely to have occured if AIS had been available to the yacht skipper in place of radar.

That said, Robin clocks up more Engllish Channel cruising miles than many of us here so I take note of the poor visibility situations that he has experienced where AIS would have been useless.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Re: NASA AIS \"Radar\" Receiver

I called AIS "poor man's radar" here at YBW about 10 months ago but even so I think trading standards should have a word with NASA Marine about their product name.

<hr width=100% size=1>

steverow

Visit site
Re: AIS seems like a major benefit...

I see it as an enhancement to radar, at least until we have a combined radar/ais/ pc plotter unit on the leisure market at obviously outlandish prices.
I will use mine in conjunction with my SL72 stand alone radar, and it will at least enable me to to see what big ships are ploughing up and down the Bristol Channel, and more importantly be able to back up the radar plots with hard info, even enabling me to call them on the radio using their mmsi number if in a "situation".
Ill be getting one just as soon as possible.
Great bit of Kit.

Steve.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk

Steve

Found this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ybw.com/cgi-bin/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=ym&Number=487415&page=8&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&part=all&vc=1> thread </A> from earlier in the year.

Tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site

Does anyone know if it is possible to receive AIS information using the same aerial as you use for the VHF?

Clearly the receiving is not likely to be a problem but I don't know whether you could successfully protect the AIS from the VHF when transmitting

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Re: Virtual buoyage

The latest (January 2005 cover) Sailing Today mentions a report from the General Lighthouse Authority (GLA). After eliminating some lighthouses the remainder will have an enhanced role including transmission of AIS information about temporary hazards.

When I first heard about virtual AIS buoys I thought it was an April fools joke but it seems they are serious.

Wish they could virtualize those monster unlight military mooring buoys near Hythe marina, I missed one by 10ft last year when singlehanding up Southampton Water after dark.

<hr width=100% size=1>