Mystery Raymarine device

superheat6k

Visit site
This thing resides in the middle of the flybridge dash on my new boat.

Possibly a Fluxgate compass, but the auto pilot is Simrad, with the only Raymarine kit being the C80 MFD.

Any ideas as I could use the hole for the cables from my new GPS Plotter / AIS transponder.

The LED doesn't seem to illuminate.

It has a single plug connector on the rear side.

IMG_8662.jpeg

superheat6k

Visit site
It's a GPS antenna probably a Raystar 125. Your C80 needs it. I think the green LED should flash very dimly very occasionally: in daylight it's not easy to notice.
Wouldn't the C80 need a GPS receiver as well as antenna ? Presently it doesn't display positional information, but it will do shortly once the new plotter is hooked up to it.

jwilson

Visit site
My Raystar 120 died long ago and was replaced with a 125. The 125 got incredibly slow to get a fix about three years ago but replacing the internal button battery revived it and it is still working OK now feeding ST60 instruments although my C-series plotter is long dead. I seem to recall that the loss of the faint flashing green light was also a symptom of the battery problem.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
My Raystar 120 died long ago and was replaced with a 125. The 125 got incredibly slow to get a fix about three years ago but replacing the internal button battery revived it and it is still working OK now feeding ST60 instruments although my C-series plotter is long dead. I seem to recall that the loss of the faint flashing green light was also a symptom of the battery problem.

Yes, I've replaced the battery on mine twice since buying my boat. It would be a late 2008 version with new batteries in 2015 and 2022. Very simple job ever 7 years so far. I think earlier versions had tagged batteries but mine just uses a standard CR2032.

My C80W MFD has an internal GPS that's usually off. I have turned it on when the external.GPS is slow to get a first fix. Useful workaround when the battery fails. My AIS transponder needs a dedicated external GPS and uses the 125 unit.

Last edited:

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Thanks for that. I reckon it will now be no longer needed, but will provide a convenient cable port for my new Matsutec.

I wonder if I can use the same cable for the NMEA signal to the C80 MFD.
You could undo the 2 small nuts underneath, twist and remove the connector. Simple to open by removing the small screws on the base. Replace the CR2032 if it isn't one with tags and put back together. It will probably work and then you can sell it on eBay if not needed (quick look showed units at silly prices, £70 for a used cable).

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks for that. I reckon it will now be no longer needed, but will provide a convenient cable port for my new Matsutec.

I wonder if I can use the same cable for the NMEA signal to the C80 MFD.

If the cable is sound, no reason npt to use it for NMEA data Trev.