My old new volvo penta md2b!

Akestor

www.youtube.com
This engine had sunk in the bottom of the sea for 2 days...pistons seized..After 3 days of work i managed to unstick the pistons.
After 6 months of Diy this is how it looks! New pistons 89mm, bored cylinders and lot lot lot of cleaning and removing rust and dirt...

Attachments

• IMG_20171110_173734.jpg
    IMG_20171110_173734.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8566.JPG
    IMG_8566.JPG
    441 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8570.JPG
    IMG_8570.JPG
    370 KB · Views: 3

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I'm not at all surprised at the speed of corrosion. I left an old pair of pliers out in the cockpit and they were seized up within a week. Not even submerged.
She looks great ..... but did just 2 days in seawater seize the pistons in the bores? I'm surprised at that .... unless you mean 2 days in the sea and then more time sitting around out of the water.

Richard

[448]

Visit site
Really pleasing to see one of these old Warhorses restored.

I ran one for 13 years. Totally reliable.

Look after her!

She appears to have dynastart. I have the starter motor and brackets, and flywheel for this engine if you want them.

Akestor

www.youtube.com
She looks great ..... but did just 2 days in seawater seize the pistons in the bores? I'm surprised at that .... unless you mean 2 days in the sea and then more time sitting around out of the water.

Richard

Yes 2 days in the sea, and then abandond about 6 months with stagnant water in the cylinders...pistons and cylinders became one!

Akestor

www.youtube.com
Really pleasing to see one of these old Warhorses restored.

I ran one for 13 years. Totally reliable.

Look after her!

She appears to have dynastart. I have the starter motor and brackets, and flywheel for this engine if you want them.

i will definately take care of her! I have the dynastart ( belt driven) but still didnt check if it works after the sinking (probably it is not). Starter motor works with gear on flywheel right?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Yes 2 days in the sea, and then abandond about 6 months with stagnant water in the cylinders...pistons and cylinders became one!

In that case, you have done an even more remarkable job. 6 months with salt water in the cylinders and crankcase should, by all that's reasonable, mean an engine which is beyond economic repair. That would be a challenge too far for most people, including me. :)

Richard

Akestor

www.youtube.com
In that case, you have done an even more remarkable job. 6 months with salt water in the cylinders and crankcase should, by all that's reasonable, mean an engine which is beyond economic repair. That would be a challenge too far for most people, including me. :)

Richard

She was lucky the crankcase didnt flood with lot of water. and the oil in there should have protect the crankshaft. The biggest challenge was removing the pistons and....cleaning it...lol. Assembling was enjoyable!
the cost went up to 1000$ which is good i guess. I would pay around 3000$ for a second hand marinized kubota.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Dylan had a VP MD1 which he abused and it failed which has turned him against VP forever, and suspicious of any marine diesels. (Apparently his engine was repaired by the subsequent owner at zero cost and AFAIK is still running).
Lol new to forum dont know Dylan yet:)

Akestor

www.youtube.com
After spending few days unblocking the manifold T inlet hole, finally installed it again today and i though today is the day!
After trying about 30 minutes with the handstart (with breaks to catch my breath) and my father helping me with the decompression levers i heard the beast exploding while i was cranking as fast as possible! That was epic! I did the whole refitt in a small box room in the building i leave, so in about 2 seconds i could barely see the throttle lever and shut it down immediatly...Fortunately the beast stopped and i run outside to breath.
Thats a very nice feeling taking a rusted seized sank engine and after months of hard word hearing her rummble!! :D. Time to get her in the boat now!

Last edited:

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
Dylan had a VP MD1 which he abused and it failed which has turned him against VP forever, and suspicious of any marine diesels. (Apparently his engine was repaired by the subsequent owner at zero cost and AFAIK is still running).

completely untrue on all counts

but never let facts get in the way of an opinion

Last edited: