My First and I hope only Pan Pan!

derekgillard

Visit site
Beware of stray fishing nets off the French coast!!!
Last Saturday while motor sailing on route to St Vaast trouble hit us, first the dreaded fog came down along with a dying of the wind, we were about 30 miles off the French coast, speed was reduced and I posted look outs to check for passing ships (one was spotted about 5 miles away 10 min before the fog descended), all was going well and we were now under motor alone when there was a major crash from what appeared to be the gearbox, shortly after the engine stalled. Looking over the stern a large fishing net extending some 30-foot from the boat could be seen and it was well and truly round the prop.

We were drifting in fog with no wind and a large tide taking us NW back to the shipping lanes.
We saw our options as, send a man over to check the prop and try to clear which I decided against due to the amount of net we were trailing and the obvious safety risk, wait for the wind which I decided against due to the forecast which was not hopeful or call for assistance which I did, my Pan Pan was answered by the French coast guard who send out the lifeboat to tow us to Cherbourg. 5 hours later we arrived at Cherbourg to be presented with a 2,700 Euro charge. I have discussed this with my insurance company who are indicating that I am covered. The net was removed by a diver but with air and the correct knives it took him 15 min to clear it, the net was massive and covered by weed so it had been in the sea for some time, however on our return last night we spotted yet another net all be it smaller but in the same general area of the channel.
I suggest you ALL beware if you are crossing the channel this summer.

Finally what would you people have done? That was my first and I trust only Pan Pan but am not sure what else I could have done in the circumstances. I would say a British yachtsman in St Vaast did tell one of my crew that he listened to my Pan Pan he could have offered some assistance!

Del Buoy (pleased to be home).

<hr width=100% size=1>

Badger

Visit site
In my view you made the right call.Sending someone into the water could have turned a drama into a tragedy. Even if the wind had returned you had no idea if your steering was damaged or not. Pan Pan was the right shout IMHO.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
I agree. From your description, the net would surely have disabled the boat's sailing performance, had the wind returned, you could not anchor, and sending a crew member over the side without air and a wetsuit, in a swell, seems very risky.

<hr width=100% size=1>

aod

Visit site
Sounds like you had a pretty stressful time of it and it's always a difficult time for a skipper when deciding whether to call for help or not.

I think for my money under those circumstances you did the right thing. A rope around a prop is one thing but a net is a whole different ball game. Send a bod over and they get caught while under water and you have a fatality. Add even the slightest swell and the boat can easily roll down on them adding to the difficulty.

lose a life and add a dozen or so casualties because for certain you would regret the decision for the rest of your life, as would the other crew, as would the deceased persons relatives. Add to that the trauma of an enquiry, a probable impounding of the boat for evidence and possibly even criminal charges.

You may have got away with it and the crew member managed to cut away the net without getting injured and I would have still said you were a pratt for taking the risk and sending him/her over the side in the first place. Indeed the diver probably took 15 minutes because they cut the net away in a safe and structured way so as not to get caught themselves. Try to do that while holding your breath for half a minute!

No question in my mind you did absolutely the right thing and sod the money.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rob_Webb

Visit site
This is the kinda thing that makes me really edgy about motoring anywhere at night these days.

But discretion is the better part of valour and I think you did the right thing.

Interestingly, I had a simlar experience a few years ago involving the Cherbourg lifeboat and a diver on arrival - only difference was that I had a large plastic bag around prop and I was never presented with a cheque - it was all I could do to get the lifeboat crew to accept a bottle of scotch held in reserve for this kind of thing!

BTW, I didn't actually use the words PAN PAN, I simply called up the CG and told him my dilemma and he took the call to launch the (large) lifeboat - more like on the Portsmouth Harbour tugs!

<hr width=100% size=1>

aod

Visit site
Yep I wholly agree with that sentiment. Motoring at night is sometimes unavoidable but these days you almost expect there to be a problem because youv'e picked up some rubbish, lobster pots, nets, plastic bags I even saw a floating commercial size freezer on the north sea once!

<hr width=100% size=1>

HenryB

www.ballgate.com
I, too, would have made a Pan Pan call in those circumstances. Some years ago my boat was fouled with a piece of heavy net on a passage from Falmouth to Tregier, close to the shipping lanes. There was no wind but, fortunately, the visibility was excellent. As there was still a swell and the sun was setting I decided to sit it out until morning. I tied the tender alongside and fitted the outboard so that I had a means of moving if really necessary. By working the tiller to and fro I was able to give the boat sufficient way to keep her at 90 degrees to the shipping and by showing a spotlight against the main I kept her visible. It was a long night.
The swell had reduced a little by morning but I still didn't relish a swim so I delved into the toolbox and by chance found a blade for use in a Stanley knife to cut carpets - the type with a hooked end. I fixed this in a slot cut at the end of the deck brush handle and was able to slowly cut away the net in small pieces, working from the tender. It was a Sabb variable pitch propellor and its mechanism was damaged, being locked in a very course pitch by I was able to continue.
In my case, I guess, it would have been proper to broadcast a Securitee message periodically, giving my position and details.

<hr width=100% size=1>

brianhumber

Visit site
Agree, you did not have a lot of alternatives, I was thinking the amount of drifting rubbish is increasing as well. Ran into 100m of big ship mooring line 2 years ago myself.

Anchoring?. Once sailed years ago when the skipper did this mid channel but we did not have radar, Decca etc and the Fog Horns of large ships passing by were scary so I would be reluctant myself although I have over 150m of warp on board.
I can (and have done) put my 2.5hp outboard on the boarding ladder on my sugar scoop. Being a lightweight 45' this gives 4/5 knots in a flat sea. With a can of reserve this gives me about a 15/20 mile range, enough to get out of a shipping lane.
Finally I hope I would always offer if I could a tow to others in a similar situation.

<hr width=100% size=1>

chriscallender

Visit site
We heard your Pan Pan and were about 40 miles north of you, having crossed from Guernsey overnight. My first thought was thank **** we didn't come across any nets during the night although I was mainly sailing rather than motoring. As I was many many hours away from you on the other side of the shipping lanes we couldn't help... we were approaaching the isle of wight by that time.

Anyway too bad to hear about the 2700 euros, that seems a lot but I'm glad to hear it should be covered by your insurance.

I would definitely have done the same as you, I would not have risked anyone over the side in mid channel and if it took a diver 15 minutes with air and the right tools there is no chance that anyone could have managed to clear it by holding their breath.

Too bad, and it makes me realise how lucky I am that we had an uneventful week crusing.

And if I'd stuck to my original plan of a daytime crossing you might have been OK for a tow from us if it was calm. But then I would have been stuck in the fog too and I'm glad I avoided that - feeling my way around in fog on the previous Wednesday was enough for me.

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

derekgillard

Visit site
NO we do not have a rope cutter, will look into it during the winter, however not sure how effective it would have been against such a heavy net.

Thanks for the replies makes me feel a little better.

Have to say I did get to St Vaast and their oysters tasted even better! Great place.

Del Buoy

<hr width=100% size=1>

My own response is that you were spot on:

Pan-pan = Means that the calling station has an urgent message concerning the safety of a ship, aircraft, other vehicle or person/s.

When I took my Op Cert this was explained as "In trouble, not in DISTRESS but with the definite possibility of becoming a DISTRESS situation".

From your description you were on the money (no pun intended) where a lot of people would have flown straight into a MAYDAY.

Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>Manager,
Aeronautical & Maritime Services Section,
Radiocommunications Agency

Dominic

Visit site
My two-penny worth

So the engine is now down, but all else is working.

Your options are Solve, Sail, Stay or Squeal.

Water was too deep - can´t anchor (the Stay option); there was no wind so sailing was out and the real kicker was you were drifting into the shipping lanes in fog. - Very nasty.

Just possibly;- strap the dinghy alongside and motor using the dinghy engine - slow and perhaps not enough to move you against the tide.

Or - work from the dinghy to clear the prop - possible for a line but unlikely that you would be able to clear a big net.
(Even with full dive gear one might question having someone over the side.)

But those are marginal or long shots.

I think you made the right call.

<hr width=100% size=1>

graham

Visit site
At the end of the day boat and crew were safe ,it has to be a good result. Your decision was correct.

Equally if you had the equipment and suitable manpower to clear the prop then possibly that would be correct.

You were in charge ,you made a decision in the name of safety,who cares what anyone else thinks??

<hr width=100% size=1>

Dominic

Visit site
Does Anyone Think He Was Wrong

With a bit of hindsight, this or that could have been tried and might have worked.

But----

Does anyone think he was wrong ?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jules

Visit site
Thinking about this and the money issue.
Does anybody reckon that if you call the French coastguard and tell them the situation, and they then decide to call the lifeboat that it is their contract and they pick up the tab?
If you call a pan pan it is your decision, they must react and it is your bill..................

Just a thought

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
As far as I'm concerned, you made exactly the right call. Just as a matter of interest, did they make you pay the 2700 euros straight away? What would have happened if you didn't have it? Do we charge frenchmen for towing them in with the lifeboat and if not why not? I think these charges are ridiculous and may stop people who just dont have this kind of money from calling for help, just think, "I'm in trouble and need help, but only from a british lifeboat please, I can't afford a french one" Ridiculous situation.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
It's a little like mountaineering and hill climbing. In the UK you'll be rescued by volunteer teams, in the contintental Alps, you're charged for rescue, and if they need a heli to bring you down, you'd better have good insurance

<hr width=100% size=1>Err, let me know if Depsol enters the forum, I'll go and hide

JamesS

Visit site
Obviously a sickening experience.

You are not alone. Having just returned from 2 months in France I've lost count of the number of people we met who had had a similar experience - especially along the North Brittany coast.

We are fitted with a rope cutter but would be interested to hear if anyone has been fouled despite having one fitted.

Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>

derekgillard

Visit site
No I was not asked to pay they just wanted my insurance details, I had all the corect doc's had I not had these things could have been much worse.

A lesson for us all when traveling to France, only last month I heard of a powerboat being fined at Cherbourg for not have his doc's €1,500.

<hr width=100% size=1>