My Fairey Huntress project.

michael_w

Visit site
Where's your troosers? I'm due to work outside tomorrow and as a result, I'm trying to find my thermals. 🥶

burgundyben

Visit site
I'm a Southern Softie Shandy drinker, in fact its worse, I'm tea total. Never been north of Winchester.

One thing I have to resolve is that the trailer is all wrong for the boat. I've devised a solution. Nearly ready to stick it together with an arc welder.

20240117-184451.jpg

This has to be done in January.

burgundyben

Visit site
One of my goals for January is sorting out new trailer supports.

I had to finish the install of 40amps in the garage, then fit a 16amp commando socket on a new B16 breaker.

Bought myself and unfeasibly cheap Sealey stick welder and a pack of 3.2mm rods.

Had a go, seems ok.

20240121-144551.jpg

I've cut all the steel and drilled the holes, I'll stick it together this week and photo it.

Its a masterpiece of fabrication.

burgundyben

Visit site
The steelwork for the trailer is all welded up and ready to be fitted.

Prep work in the cabin is close to finished.

So overall my two goals for January are very close, so fairly happy with progress.

I had a go at improving some a piece of ply that was a bit stained with oxalic acid. Didnt really work. I used cold water, I think that might be an error. Its ply, so a reall hard sand is out and I really want it varnished and looking good.

20240131-180056.jpg

Quite funny, my 1990's was quite hedonistic, I was laughing tonight the the oxalic acid looked like a load of coke.

burgundyben

Visit site
I've started undercoating in the cabin.

I love painting boats.

When painting, I try to keep progress the same in big areas, its more efficent.

I have a word, a made up word of my own making, when there's an area that's laging behind, I say 'it needs to play catchyuppy'

All the flat windows, windscreen sides and the cover for the dash are with Precision Units in Poole being cut.

Big post coming soon about the curved sections of screen.

burgundyben

Visit site
I had a decent result removing stain from wood with this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rustins-WBLESET-Wood-Bleach-Set/dp/B002HMVZW6.

IIRC, one can is oxalic acid, they other is H2O2.

Might be worth a try
Thank you. I'm going to have a go again when its warmer with the oxalic acid I've got, there's a thread on here that says temperature helps.

I've been busily undercoating in the cabin, still lots to do, I think I might make up a satin finish with 50/50 undercoat and top coat for in the cabin. Maybe. Undecided.

burgundyben

Visit site
Fairey motorboat windscreens are mostly acrylic plastic with curved sections.

A company in Poole, Precision Units, are the people Fairey Owners tend to use.

I took all my windows, flat cabin windows, windscreen sides and dash are all flat, so easy.

We rummaged in their shed looking at bucks, none fitted my screens, so I have to make bucks.

We had a chat about the process and how they wanted the buck to look.

I made the first one, found the other one to be very different, so today took the old screens back to the boat.

The port screen is a very good fit...I had made a buck for the stbd screen which is a very poor fit....

So I've remade a buck for the port screen, very happy with it.

I think I can see how to make a buck for the stbd side, all the wood is cut, I'll screw it together tomorrow.

20240211-145332.jpg

burgundyben

Visit site
Good progress today. Lots of undercoat on in the cabin and a few locker lids prepared for paint.

Engine loaded into trailer to come home for a spruce up.

Found an orphan bolt, with a crimp terminal, covered in paint. Why would you do that? I'll knock them oot and glue plugs in.

A chum popped by and noticed a spelling mistake on the dash. I'll have to sort it. Fairey not Fairy.

20240223-115857.jpg

20240223-115850.jpg

20240223-115847.jpg

20240223-115504.jpg

Bouba

Visit site
The boat will be finished in a couple of months.

Sorry to say after all my time on ybw and the effort I've put in, that there will not be any further from me.
Ben, I know that you are not the greatest photographer on earth...but that’s no reason to quit🤷‍♂️

I also would very much like to see the completion of your project 👍👍👍has someone upset you ?...is it the mods ?

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
The boat will be finished in a couple of months.

Sorry to say after all my time on ybw and the effort I've put in, that there will not be any further from me.
That is a shame Ben, I was only thinking the other day that I remember your "name" from way back when Kim Hollamby was doing the Cruise in Company programme, I think you were involved in that? Didn't you have a Princess sports cruiser or is my memory failing me?