My Fairey Huntress project.

harvey38

Visit site
A bit more work done on the heads.

20231124-121832.jpg

I'm nearly out of the woodwork.

Some spare time coming this weekend, I'd like to finish hacking

Yes, there will be a curtain in a track running across the front.
Acoustic insulation too?

harvey38

Visit site
It’s called a Ford Sabre engine....you can’t fart louder than that 🥺😳
I have two Ford Sabres in Tolerance, with correctly adjusted tappets they're quiet when helming from inside so a door would definitely be required 🙈

Last edited:

burgundyben

Visit site
Is it similar to the huntsman?

I have never been fortunate enough to be very familiar with motor vessels.

Beautiful craft you have.

Enjoy
The Huntress and Huntsman came off the same buck. It all started in 1957 with the 23ft buck, in 1960 it was extended for the Huntsman 28.

Over 400 hulls came off that buck.

I started with a Huntress in 2001, then an H28, then a H31, now a Huntress.

burgundyben

Visit site
Last 10 days or so have been hampered by man flu and a bit of pleurisy. On the mend now.

I'm new to 18v cordless tools, started this year. My old 240v router spindle lock had failed, so I bought a Makita lxt drt50 router, lovely.

Experimented this morning.

20231201-113130.jpg

That's a trial piece. Bit more practice and I'll have a go at a few real bits!

burgundyben

Visit site
Yesterday I got to the boat for a couple of hours.

I had hoped to get out of the woodwork by Chrimbo, but I reckon there's 5 to 10 hours to go. So may be a couple of weeks.

Then I have to do some welding on the trailer to do the vey last woodwork job.

Then its a lot of paint.

KREW2

Visit site
I drool at the lines of any huntress or huntsman, very aesthetic. Don't want to be a kill joy the the one pictured with the spray hood seems to spoil it.

burgundyben

Visit site
I drool at the lines of any huntress or huntsman, very aesthetic. Don't want to be a kill joy the the one pictured with the spray hood seems to spoil it.

You are right...but...I've had Huntress and Huntsman for 22 years, the thing is the boat is just so much more useable with a spray hood and canopy. One year we set off west for 2 weeks with just a tonneau cover, it rained everyday for 11 days on the trot, getting back to the boat from a nice evening in the pub, soaking wet and clambering under a tonneau loses its excitement fairly quickly!

When you have a sprayhood and canopy you can have a chair to read the paper, snooze, hand up jackets and dry tea towels.

burgundyben

Visit site
Update. I'm still crap at taking pics. I forget and when I remember they are rubbish.

I am essentially out of the woodwork. There's a few tiny bits to do, very minor.

There's a dinghy in my porta cabin, that will have to be ousted to make space for parts ready to refit.

I'm onto paint and varnish, the biggie is in the cabin. So much work in there.

They'll be a veritable production line of door and lids and floors to paint.

If I can wrap up cabin painting and trailer fixing/welding in January I'll be happy.

Bouba

Visit site
Update. I'm still crap at taking pics. I forget and when I remember they are rubbish.

I am essentially out of the woodwork. There's a few tiny bits to do, very minor.

There's a dinghy in my porta cabin, that will have to be ousted to make space for parts ready to refit.

I'm onto paint and varnish, the biggie is in the cabin. So much work in there.

They'll be a veritable production line of door and lids and floors to paint.

If I can wrap up cabin painting and trailer fixing/welding in January I'll be happy.
A smart phone can take good pictures no matter what the owner does....nobody will judge you on your photography...only your boat refitting skills 🤔😘

burgundyben

Visit site
I do have a soft spot for a Fairey, my ideal would be a Swordsman 40 (I know some don't consider them a proper Fairey) :) but I do love them.View attachment 170390
The Swordsman Marine built 37 and 40 used a Fairey Dagger hull mould and with input from AVB so I think its ok to call them a Fairey.

The 40 on shafts with the Cat C7's is the one to have.

burgundyben

Visit site
I think the remaining hours I get on the boat in January will be most paint prep in the cabin, its a right scabby mess and my wife would much prefer it to be nice!

If I can get all the sanding and dusting done, so hopefully if not too cold in Feb I can paint, that will be ok.

20240112-123842.jpg

20240112-123838.jpg

burgundyben

Visit site
Most Huntress when built were capable of 25 to 30 knots.

In her last iteration afloat she had 315hp and did over 40 knots...

There's some damage inside, not unusual and I've sorted this kind of stuff before.

20240114-115123.jpg

20240114-115101.jpg

20240114-115118.jpg

burgundyben

Visit site
Ben, is she a wooden or fiberglass boat ? or perhaps some combination ?
All wood.

Hot moulded, a timber called agba, 2.5mm thick layers, Bordon Aerolite Glue, rubber vacuum bagged, baked in an autoclave. 6 layers on the bottom and 5 up the sides.

Scantlings are mostly mahogany, the rest is plywood.