My dinghy is too big

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
Looking to buy a 1.85m dinghy as my 2.6m is too big to stow on top of the boat and way too heavy to pull up a harbour wall.
Are the 1.85m dinghies too small as in I would not feel safe in one, Ive also been looking at the 2.1m lightweight option.
I would only be using the dinghy solo.
Just looking at my profile pic and you can see how big the dinghy is on top of the boat.

Attachments

• bigdinghy.jpg
    bigdinghy.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Have a look at the 3D lightweight range. Very light albeit perhaps less robust as a result. I had the 2.9m one, was perfect with a Torqeedo. Very easy to stow as it was light and packed up small.

Last edited:

andsarkit

Visit site
Check that you can row the small dinghy. Unless you have very short legs or the seat is very adjustable you will find the oars hitting your knees. I have a 2.3 roundtail that is just big enough to row and I can still lift it. The 2.2 roundtail hypalon one I had previously for 30 years folded up much smaller than the current PVC one as Hypalon is much more flexible.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I went from a 1.8 to a 2.6 metre dinghy. The larger size means I have a better ride, can sit three plus supplies with comfort. If you sail with a dog then going down in size will not be appreciated by your furbaby four footed friend.

samfieldhouse

Visit site
Well you've got the very best type of boat :cool:

I've got an older Seago 240 Airdeck, so 2.4m and it fits perfectly on deck in front of the mast, whilst allowing movement around the foredeck. The 'nipples' of the sponsons straddle the mast. I was extremely lucky to get one of the old Hypalon ones on eBay, with an engine for £600. The new Spirit version is available online and I'd suggest the airlock is worth the extra money.

The 240 is perfect for one and can easily be lifted on deck. I've never felt unsafe in it.I've had three (small) adults in it which is cosy, bt still stable.
It also makes for an excellent hatch cover in the rain and in its valise, sits very nicely on the hatch cover.

If you're feeling adventurous an Opi will also sit perfectly on the deck of an 850! Last summer I mostly used the Opi as, lets face it, chucking an Opi over the side, rigging it and sailing it over to your friend's boat is very Swallows and Amazons :ROFLMAO:

If you haven't already, join us over at www.cobrayachts.co.uk

IMG_0546.jpegIMG_4306.jpegP1100008.jpegIMG_5205.jpegDSC08147.jpeg

Last edited:

Rappey

Visit site
Are the 1.85m dinghies too small
Not all small dingy are the same. Ive a tiny Lodestar (dutch) dingy (1.9m) . Inflatable floor and keel and massive tubes. Beautifully made. 12knts with a tohatsu 3.5.
Can take 280kg.
You do take more of a beating in a smaller dingy though.

Plum

Visit site
Looking to buy a 1.85m dinghy as my 2.6m is too big to stow on top of the boat and way too heavy to pull up a harbour wall.
Are the 1.85m dinghies too small as in I would not feel safe in one, Ive also been looking at the 2.1m lightweight option.
I would only be using the dinghy solo.
Just looking at my profile pic and you can see how big the dinghy is on top of the boat.
I have been using, for the last 9 years, a WavEco230RS round stern inflatable 2.3m. WavEco 2.3m Roundtail Slatted Floor Inflatable Dinghy

It is a good size for single handing. Anything shorter and I would have to bend my legs and the ours would hit my knees.

It is quoted at 23kg. But after I made a lighter thwart (offcuts and glue in stock so cost nothing) and removed one of the floor slats I weighed it at 19kg with the original oars. I have replaced the oars with longer ones so it rows better. I do not use an outboard.

Last edited: