My COVID-19 Lockdown Project: 10” Android Car Stereo to Navionics Chart Plotter

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
...I'm glad someone has been reading me banging on about that... :D
This was one of the main reasons I did this. I have been using a succession of tablets for years running Navionics and the biggest issues is that you have to turn them up to full brightness on a sunny day. Unfortunately when you do that even the best charges can't keep up with the battery drain.

The car stereo head is designed to be readable in daylight and us defiantlyvery bright. It runs on 12v, so no issue with the battery...

pandos

Visit site
Last year I bought a tablet from London Plotters and it only has 528k and 4mb ram...it ran Marine Navigator with Visit My Harbour raster charts...with an ais overlay so I am presuming it will work fine.. from the point of view of memory...

fifer

Visit site
Last year I bought a tablet from London Plotters and it only has 528k and 4mb ram...it ran Marine Navigator with Visit My Harbour raster charts...with an ais overlay so I am presuming it will work fine.. from the point of view of memory...

Unless your tablet is from 1991 I think you may have mixed your numbers up

Frankklose

Visit site
The Android Radio works very well Screen is bright price less then 55 pounds Android 9 1GB 16gb storage. Works very well with Navionics. Use Wifi for Ais

pandos

Visit site
The Android Radio works very well Screen is bright price less then 55 pounds Android 9 1GB 16gb storage. Works very well with Navionics. Use Wifi for Ais

Obviously I will not know for sure until my radio arrived from china... but .....Do you think AIS can be hardwired via USB?...

I already have an Ais receiver with WiFi but if I could hardwire an Emtrak transponder, l might be tempted.

But if I spend too much now, I won't be able to pay to launch ...?.

Frankklose

Visit site
The radio draws less than 1 Amp in mute. For Navionics I use a NMEA2Wifi Multiplexer , don't think you get it to work via the USB input. Navionics listens to a WiFi port for GPS and AIS data. I have the 7 inch (for my daughter s boat) and 10 inch on my boat. Both radios are similar and less than 55 pounds on eBay. You have to look for Android car radio 2 Din GPS Android 8.1 or 9 and the lowest price normally €56 to €59.

Last edited:

fredrussell

Visit site
This all sounds very promising. I suppose the only downside being the lack of ‘waterproofness’. At least with a tablet you can stick a waterproof case on it if it’s not waterproof by design.

pandos

Visit site
This all sounds very promising. I suppose the only downside being the lack of ‘waterproofness’. At least with a tablet you can stick a waterproof case on it if it’s not waterproof by design.
I think the reality is that if you fit it outdoors with the back sealed and some kind of protection to stop deluges... it is should be just as good as a tablet,,and no reason that you could not drop a plastic bag down over it...mine was posted from China yesterday so until it arrives I'll be guessing but am inclined now to fit it inside possibly above the saloon table where I could see it from the cockpit or sitting in the companionway...

I would be slightly concerned that such a big screen would be susceptible to a winch handle in a frantic tack or gybe...