My cockpit drains below the waterline-any thoughts?

crown22

Visit site
My Atlanta Viking 8.5 cockpit drains below the waterline and there are Blakes seacocks in use. Would it best to shut them
before leaving the boat for a week or two? Any ideas what a surveyor would say. Hoses are double clipped and appear to be in good
condition.Thanks

johnalison

Visit site
I have always left necessary seacocks open when off the boat, and most of them weren't even Blakes'. I would not leave an uncovered cockpit undrained if at all possible, but there have been generations of non-draining cockpits left open and not many of them sank. In any case, providing reasonable care is taken, it's what insurance is for.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
As everybody has said keep them open, unless you want to wash your sails in rainwater.

Why anybody designed a boat with cockpit drains below sea water level is beyond me, my old Mirage 28 had the same issue! Thankfully, my current boat has the drains above sea water.

Tranona

Visit site
I think he means the outlets are below the waterline rather than the drains in the cockpit. As you say it is no longer truly self draining if the cockpit sole is below the waterline.

crown22

Visit site
Yes the outlets are below the waterline with the cockpit sole only about twelve inches above the waterline.I have read that Atlanta altered the stern of the original MacWester mould so maybe its connected with that.

Poignard

Visit site
If the OP is that worried he can always leave the seacocks slightly open so that any rain will drain away.

In the very unlikely event of a hose failing the boat will slowly start to fill up. Hopefully so slowly that someone will notice she is sinking and do something about it. :D

wingcommander

Visit site
If the OP is that worried he can always leave the seacocks slightly open so that any rain will drain away.

In the very unlikely event of a hose failing the boat will slowly start to fill up. Hopefully so slowly that someone will notice she is sinking and do something about it. :D
These days probably just stand there and video for their ticktock account lol

Tranona

Visit site
Yes the outlets are below the waterline with the cockpit sole only about twelve inches above the waterline.I have read that Atlanta altered the stern of the original MacWester mould so maybe its connected with that.
12" is well above the waterline. Not sure what you are worried about. Provided the hoses are in good nick and the camps tight they are pretty bullet proof.

jamie N

Visit site
On my Folkboat the cockpit sole is in the region of an inch above the waterline! This is known as the water level can be seen at the cockpit drain. I leave the seacock open when the cockpit tent isn't fitted, but (for some reason) close it when the cockpit's covered.

V1701

Visit site
On my Folkboat the cockpit sole is in the region of an inch above the waterline! This is known as the water level can be seen at the cockpit drain. I leave the seacock open when the cockpit tent isn't fitted, but (for some reason) close it when the cockpit's covered.

I had a Bowman 26 that was like this, in fresh water there'd be a few inches of water in the cockpit so I'd close the drains off if going up river!

Visit site
Yes the outlets are below the waterline with the cockpit sole only about twelve inches above the waterline.
Are you sure about that?
On my Atlanta Viking 8.5, the cockpit sole is only about 2 or 3 inches max above the water line. It's about 12 inches above the hull. When the boat heels, the lower side of the cockpit fills with water. This is despite the drains being crossed over. The answer is to always wear wellies when sailing!
I always leave my drains open when on a mooring.

Stemar

Visit site
My Snapdragon had gate valves on the cockpit drains. The bodies of the valves were bronze, but the innards had turned to mush. Since poor access meant the only way to change them involved an angle grinder, I tied wooden bungs to them and left it until I had time. 18 years later...

No, she didn't sink :)

FWB

N/A
Visit site
Are you sure about that?
On my Atlanta Viking 8.5, the cockpit sole is only about 2 or 3 inches max above the water line. It's about 12 inches above the hull. When the boat heels, the lower side of the cockpit fills with water. This is despite the drains being crossed over. The answer is to always wear wellies when sailing!
I always leave my drains open when on a mooring.
Expensive but will keep your feet dry.
Cockpit drain made from bronzeIMG_7399.jpeg

boatmike

Visit site
I agree it's common to see the seacock of a cockpit drain below the waterline. It could be argued that having a seacock at all is a waste of time but it does allow replacement of the hose afloat and closing off the hull if something did happen at sea so a good safety feature. Its unlikely to cause a problem when on your berth however and I wouldn't worry about leaving them open. The bottom end should always be secured with double clips though and it's not a bad idea to replace the hose after a few years as it can get stiff and brittle but it's seldom done.