My boat is neither manky or average. So what is it?

[178529]

Visit site
There are always exceptions to every rule ... have a trawl through Boatshed or any other boat sales portal and there will be a recognisable trend for older, cheaper boats to be in generally worse condition than newer boats. MAB is simply a stereotype applied to older boats and is not necessarily true.

AWB is a jibe at modern boats all looking the same and having the same features - conformity to a design norm.

AWB owners know they have an AWB ... MAB owners know if they have a MAB ... and most simply accept it.

The people who seem to get most upset are the ones with pristine or well kept older boats who seem to resent being lumped in with MAB owners due to their boats age.

Perhaps we need a new acronym, "NOB" .... standing for Nice Old Boat?
I've got a big nob by older standards, at 27ft, but today that would be considered a smallish nob.

Concerto

Visit site
NOB make me laugh but feel it is n ot quite right. I think RCB could not be misinterpretted like NOB. RCB stands for Renovated Classic Boat. I would be happy to call Concerto a RCB and I feel Fred Russell would agree his Parker 31 is a RCB.

D

Deleted member 36384

My NOB looks pretty good. Look under the skin and the interior is very fine. It is a bit damp in the deep recesses and gets a bit smelly if the damp is left to fester, I do like a gentle blow of air as it keeps the dampness at bay. However, a hard blow for my NOB is always satisfying with a quick response and predictable outcome. One of the challenges of my NOB is keeping the rear end clean from the exhaust spray, it gets everywhere, staining under the rear end with a dark, greasy, film. That aside with 10 people on my NOB it can get a bit cramped, but great fun and everyone has laugh as they hold on tight with a good blow. I don’t think I could live happily knowing my NOB was in unknown hands.

D

Deleted member 36384

Omg, what have I started?!!!

NOB, MAB, AWB
A fine addition to the second hand boat acronyms that is sure to add to the general disagreements and debates for what constitutes a fine yacht. I suspect NOB use will be self limiting as keeping up appearances gets more difficult with age (-; as we all end up as MABs eventually.

D

Deleted member 36384

Respectability JD, as well as reliable, trusted expertise; a beacon of light. :)