Moving to Spain

Denise123

Visit site
Hello all,
This is the very start of my planing this adventure and I apologise for my lack of knowledge. We are planning to move to Spain coast next feb. We don't have anywhere special in mind it more going to be renting here for a year and then onto the next adventure. Can you help me with the following questions. We have a 31ft Sailing boat. We don't intend to live on much but would like to know if that is possible.
1. Can you get annual berthing
2. Do you have to have a license to sail in over a certain size in Spain
3. Can you live on board in any of the marinas
4. Anyone know the average cost of a mooring.
5. Questions I should be asking but don't have the knowledge to know I should be asking

Any help would be much appreciated

Tranona

Visit site
Welcome to the forum

Simple answers
1 Yes
2 No if it is registered in the UK
3 Generally yes
4 Varies enormously depending on location, but typically similar ranger to UK marinas.
Your last question opens up a whole load of new questions. These are the most obvious. First, do you intend taking up residence? if so then you will have to import the boat and pay VAT and a tax on import. You can still keep the boat on the UK register and not need any licence to use it. If however you remain UK resident you can make use of Temporary Import of the boat avoiding taxes BUT only for 18 months. If you are UK citizen your time in Spain is limited to the Schengen allowances (90/180 days).

Denise123

Visit site
Amazing thank you all so much.
I think I have sorted the living there out as we are going on a non lucrative Visa. The plan is to be there for 10 months and be home for July and August/or be on boat. I can rent amazing property if I do this and Im not sure whether I even want to permanently settle there and if so where. We love to Ski so I was first heading to the Motril area first. We have just retired and although a early retirement I am well aware we only have a few years to pack this adventure in. I also want to be near sun and snow as both my grown up kids love both and I will get to seem them. Renting our property in the UK till we know what we are doing.
So although I have paid Vat in UK for my yacht, if I tool her abroad I would have to pay again. She is a 1997 Moody in amazing condition/with everything done in the last 2 years (some by us some by previous owner) so I don't want to sell her.

nortada

Visit site
It's possible she won't receive it, as that was her first post, and she maybe won't have pm privileges yet, so maybe post the information.

Although the PM appeared to go OK, could be true so that is why I advised in open forum that a PM had been sent.

Additionally, new to this set-up, the OP may not be aware of PMs.

st599

Visit site
So although I have paid Vat in UK for my yacht, if I tool her abroad I would have to pay again. She is a 1997 Moody in amazing condition/with everything done in the last 2 years (some by us some by previous owner) so I don't want to sell her.
It depends on where it was at 11pm on New Year's Eve as to whether it now has EU VAT paid status or UK VAT paid status. If UK, then yes, import in to the EU would require VAT payment. A British resident could do a VAT-free temporary import for up to 18 months, but as you're looking at residency, that option may not be open to you.

nortada

Visit site
Amazing thank you all so much.
I think I have sorted the living there out as we are going on a non lucrative Visa. The plan is to be there for 10 months and be home for July and August/or be on boat. I can rent amazing property if I do this and Im not sure whether I even want to permanently settle there and if so where. We love to Ski so I was first heading to the Motril area first. We have just retired and although a early retirement I am well aware we only have a few years to pack this adventure in. I also want to be near sun and snow as both my grown up kids love both and I will get to seem them. Renting our property in the UK till we know what we are doing.

Non-lucrative Visa to get around Schengen❓ Do you have a link on this❓

st599

Visit site
Non-lucrative Visa to get around Schengen❓ Do you have a link on this❓
Not to get around Schengen, it's a Spanish visa. You need to prove sufficient income from outside of Spain or have half a million to invest in property.

nortada

Visit site
It depends on where it was at 11pm on New Year's Eve as to whether it now has EU VAT paid status or UK VAT paid status. If UK, then yes, import in to the EU would require VAT payment. A British resident could do a VAT-free temporary import for up to 18 months, but as you're looking at residency, that option may not be open to you.

From #7, I understood that rather than residency, which would entail a permanent commitment to Spain, the OP was hoping for a year’s taster.

From your #11, if you have this visa does it follow that although you do not have residency in Spain you can spend longer that 90/180 in country. How much external income do you require to qualify.

My interest stems from the fact that my daughter has a house in Ayamonte but doesn’t have Spanish residency and is limited to 90/180. As, at present, she is in full-time employment in the UK, this is not an issue but early retirement beckons.

Hence, the request for a link.

ps She hasn’t got a boat - yet!

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Sounds like you've already done your homework but think carefully, it will be an expensive move and there must be good reasons why many expats are moving back home from Spain. I would be inclined go initially as a visitor to see if you like the reality, you don't need to pay tax on the boat as long as it's not in EU for more than 18 months at a stretch (overnight in Morocco resets the clock) but of course you will personally be limited to 90/180 so, 6 months p.a.

st599

Visit site
The external income one is a bit unclear - does the visa give you a right to work in Spain remotely for a non-EU company? Croatia have a specific visa allowing this (Digital Nomad), but this visa isn't explicit that it's allowed.

nortada

Visit site
Sounds like you've already done your homework but think carefully, it will be an expensive move and there must be good reasons why many expats are moving back home from Spain. I would be inclined go initially as a visitor to see if you like the reality, you don't need to pay tax on the boat as long as it's not in EU for more than 18 months at a stretch (overnight in Morocco resets the clock) but of course you will personally be limited to 90/180 so, 6 months p.a.

Morning Graham, Like you, my main interest is centred here in Portugal but as you see from my #12, you will see, I have an interest in Spain.

Until Brexit, getting residency in Portugal was easy but that is thread drift so back to thread, I am interested in this Spanish visa as an alternative to residency. If I wished to spend longer than 90 in 180 in Spain, although not having Spanish residency, could I get this Spanish visa and how long would it last?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Morning Graham, Like you, my main interest is centred here in Portugal but as you see from my #12, you will see, I have an interest in Spain.

Until Brexit, getting residency in Portugal was easy but that is thread drift so back to thread, I am interested in this Spanish visa as an alternative to residency. If I wished to spend longer than 90 in 180 in Spain, although not having Spanish residency, could I get this Spanish visa and how long would it last?

Forget it, it's for residence with all the associated rules for matriculating the boat etc. Lets stay on topic.

Denise123

Visit site
So on that note does anyone know a good accountant on Spainish Tax. I know about the double tax etc and the rate is 20% from the get go on your global wealth. But I have also been told there are lots of concessions that can be added to pay less amounts. Just need to find out.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
So on that note does anyone know a good accountant on Spainish Tax. I know about the double tax etc and the rate is 20% from the get go on your global wealth. But I have also been told there are lots of concessions that can be added to pay less amounts. Just need to find out.
You could start with the big boys, then look for someone local when you get here.

https://www.blevinsfranks.com/where-we-are/spain/