Moved Lines, your thoughts

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
I moored my boat stern too against a quay in Greece last week, on the port side was a 27foot boat (mines 38 foot) the starboard side was a 40 footer.

I was out for the day so made sure all lines anchor etc where tied firm. When I returned a couple of hours later the 27 footer had left and in its place was a 42 footer, all the other boats where still moored as they where wen I left.

As I got aboard my boat I noticed she had been pushed about 2-3 foot to starboard, and one of my lines was rubbing (under the strain) along my hull. I checked around my boat and noticed the mooting line closest to the 42 footer wasn't secured on the cleat as if left it a few hours earlier, strange! Meanwhile the there were people in the cockpit of the 42 footer, no one looked at me or tried to catch my eye. Then it twigged, someone had been on board, fuming I quizzed the guy sat in the cockpit asking if he'd been aboard my boat and untied my mooring lines to which he replied yes, I couldn't get mine in!

We then had a bit of a discussion!! Me saying he had no right coming on board my boat and changing lines, not tieing them back as I'd left them, forcing rope rub and forcing his boat into a gap that was too small and him saying the opposite!

Was I being a bit precious or whould you havefelt the same?

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
It's not ususual in busy anchorages for new arrivals to squeeze in places and have to do a bit of line adjustment.

If there's no damage done then everything is fine. I certainly wouldn't have any problem with someone moving my boat over a bit if space is short. Had I been onboard, I would have been happy to move things around to accommodate them so it's perhaps a bit OTT to get too uptight if they do the same in my absence.

Doing damage, if there is any, is another matter though, and should be owned up to.

Richard

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Same as Richard have just said , people come and go and if your happen to be on board , one would expect you to move over if you could , if your not that another thing , there must had been room n the other side for him to move you over .
Again if he damage your boat by doing this , then he should be libel for any damage .
This type of thing is normal on Greece if you leave you boat for a while you can almost bet you last buck , some one moved you , hit you or have his chain over yours or worst still they pulled out and caught your anchor and now your bounces around off the wall .

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
Same as Richard have just said , people come and go and if your happen to be on board , one would expect you to move over if you could , if your not that another thing , there must had been room n the other side for him to move you over .
Again if he damage your boat by doing this , then he should be libel for any damage .
This type of thing is normal on Greece if you leave you boat for a while you can almost bet you last buck , some one moved you , hit you or have his chain over yours or worst still they pulled out and caught your anchor and now your bounces around off the wall .
:)

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
I agree, I have no issues with moving over, adjusting lines etc even someone coming aboard. I think it was the fact it wasn't tied properly (in my view) and probably the fact he didn't say he'd been on board!

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I agree, I have no issues with moving over, adjusting lines etc even someone coming aboard. I think it was the fact it wasn't tied properly (in my view) and probably the fact he didn't say he'd been on board!

OK ..... I was reacting more to "Me saying he had no right coming on board my boat and changing lines ...." but I agree that, even if there was no damage, he should say that he had done that so you would know to check that your lines were tied in the way you like them. We definitely all have our own preferences in that regard.

Richard

Chris_Robb

Visit site

Always happens - but it is not acceptable not to make a boat as safe as it was before they moved her. It is just uncaring and selfish. I am sure I would have said at once sorry I had to move you - and sorry that I am a complete loser that I cannot be bothered to tie your boat up again.

RupertW

Visit site
Coming on board to adjust your lines is understandable but agree with others it should have been done properly and in that position I'd be the first to call over when you arrived to explain what I had done and why.

In our marina berth this year we had a big mobo next to us who had one of his stern lines tied right across our stern. It was a good idea before our space was used as the angle meant he was held nicely sideways against the wind as well as astern. But we weren't going to step over his rope half way across our passerelle and there was nowhere low down on his boat to retie his stern rope to so we had to untie him and retie him to a cleat between our boat and his. Obviously he then leant down on the next boat along but hard to see an alternative.

dslittle

Visit site

That's fair. I think that he was a bit ignorant not to even speak to you regardless of how he 'didn't' do your lines.

tcm

Visit site
I moored my boat stern too against a quay in Greece last week, on the port side was a 27foot boat (mines 38 foot) the starboard side was a 40 footer.

I was out for the day so made sure all lines anchor etc where tied firm. When I returned a couple of hours later the 27 footer had left and in its place was a 42 footer, all the other boats where still moored as they where wen I left.

As I got aboard my boat I noticed she had been pushed about 2-3 foot to starboard, and one of my lines was rubbing (under the strain) along my hull. I checked around my boat and noticed the mooting line closest to the 42 footer wasn't secured on the cleat as if left it a few hours earlier, strange! Meanwhile the there were people in the cockpit of the 42 footer, no one looked at me or tried to catch my eye. Then it twigged, someone had been on board, fuming I quizzed the guy sat in the cockpit asking if he'd been aboard my boat and untied my mooring lines to which he replied yes, I couldn't get mine in!

We then had a bit of a discussion!! Me saying he had no right coming on board my boat and changing lines, not tieing them back as I'd left them, forcing rope rub and forcing his boat into a gap that was too small and him saying the opposite!

Was I being a bit precious or whould you havefelt the same?

If you are that precious - you should have left a watch person/team on board, really? You didn’t. You’re a pleasure yachtsman in a marina ... so maybe stop thinking as though someone has dared to board your warship?

Sybarite

Visit site
OK ..... I was reacting more to "Me saying he had no right coming on board my boat and changing lines ...." but I agree that, even if there was no damage, he should say that he had done that so you would know to check that your lines were tied in the way you like them. We definitely all have our own preferences in that regard.

Richard

Many years ago I was in Baltimore Ireland and was tied up outside another boat. He left when I wasn't there and tied my line tight to the handrail on the roof - at high tide.

When I got back to the boat I no longer had a roof (marine ply) and spent the rest of the holiday fixing a new one on.