Motor Boats Monthly update

Beyondhelp

www.aboardmyboat.com
Thanks to everyone for the nice comments, good to know our efforts to produce a better mag were not entirely wasted.
We've just polished off the 330th issue (October), collectors item, hope you like it.
See you on the water...
Paul

So the fact that it was hinted its not a done deal is not true then Paul, and thus you have all been sadly sent on your ways?

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
What's IPCs name change about then? More bad news to come?

Ok let me explain that one!

IPC was purchased by AOL TIme Warner back in 2001, Time Warner split from AOL and just became Time Warner.

Earlier this year Time Warner wanter to "spin off" it publishing division Time Inc so Time Warner would concentrate on movies / content / cable etc and Time Inc would concentrate on publishing in what ever form that takes (digital etc)

This is actually a very good thing.

IPC reports into Time Inc and therefore it made sense to fall under Time Inc. In fact Time has been published in this building since we have been here (Europe) I am surprised they did not do it years ago.

So thats why we now trade as Time Inc. and not IPC any more.

Hope that clears things up!

Now I have to change all my emails etc!

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Kim, I'm writing this from the cockpit of my boat whilst anchored in some sunny bay in Sardinia. I can't say that it was entirely your and MBM's fault that I've spent the last 23yrs pouring money into ever larger and more expensive floating moneypits whilst enduring the inevitable marital arguments over what else we could have spent the money on but you and MBM certainly must shoulder some of the blame;);)

Well Mike, blame truly shouldered - all I can say in my defence is I've been doing exactly the same (albeit in the sometimes less than sunny UK), working on the basis I'd rather have a life full of rich experiences now rather than saving up for a life that might never ever come. So how about we both reserve ourselves a place in the paupers' home where we can reminisce over many sunsets experienced over the water in different parts of the world? :)

ari

Visit site
Well, today's the day then...

We're sad to confirm that unfortunately IPC Media has yesterday announced its intention to cease publishing Motor Boats Monthly and has entered into consultation with editorial staff on the title.

The consultation will conclude on 5 September 2014 and subscribers will be notified of their options following this date.

YBW Admin

ontheplane

Visit site
Crazy.

The new format was great, more boats that were actually affordable, and the used guides were great - all in all, I was about to re-subscribe, now I can't.

Should have given the new style 6-12 months at least.

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
Update on Motor Boats Monthly

The consultation period regarding the proposal to cease publication of Motor Boats Monthly (MBM) ended today.

Time Inc. (UK) Ltd have now confirmed that this will proceed and the issue dated October, published on Thursday 18th September will be the last.

All subscribers will receive a letter with their Oct issue, which explains what will happen with their subscription and what their options will be.

Clearly it’s a very sad day for all of those involved and some of the team have chosen to sail (motor) off into the sunset whilst others are looking at alternative roles within the business.

The October issue will still be available to purchase at all leading newsagents and supermarkets (where stocked) as well as on the stand at Southampton Boat Show, which starts on the 12th Sept.

Many thanks

Richard

ricky_s

Visit site
Update on Motor Boats Monthly

The consultation period regarding the proposal to cease publication of Motor Boats Monthly (MBM) ended today.

Time Inc. (UK) Ltd have now confirmed that this will proceed and the issue dated October, published on Thursday 18th September will be the last.

All subscribers will receive a letter with their Oct issue, which explains what will happen with their subscription and what their options will be.

Clearly it’s a very sad day for all of those involved and some of the team have chosen to sail (motor) off into the sunset whilst others are looking at alternative roles within the business.

The October issue will still be available to purchase at all leading newsagents and supermarkets (where stocked) as well as on the stand at Southampton Boat Show, which starts on the 12th Sept.

Many thanks

Richard

Any changes hinted at in MBY?

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
Any changes hinted at in MBY?

There will be some minor tweaks to accommodate some areas of MBM in particular the boat tests. MBM used to deal with up to say 60 and MBY just below that and above. This means MBY can now test slightly smaller craft.

I am sure Hugo will be on here to explain any changes the makes although I can say they will not be radical as MBY has its place in the market.

Nigelpickin

www.cornishcottageholidays.co.uk
My best to all concerned and affected. For me, I shall miss the monthly read and have very much enjoyed keeping up to date over the years. My current and previous boat buying decisions were very much assisted/supplemented by your copy and from my pov, any boating publication is a good read, whether I'm wanting practical advice, shopping for toys or just dreaming....warmest regards.

rafiki_

Visit site
Yep, sad day for MBM. However, this is a really tough time for periodicals, as the inter web has filled much of this space. I swapped to MBY a year ago, as I had got rather bored with the format and features, but MBY needs to be very alert to the threat of closure. Neale Byarts on line mag is a really good read, with much practical advice, and I hope he can keep this going.

penpal

Visit site
The reality there are too many magazines chasing too few clients. I used to but the MBM for years then went onto the digital version due to storage problems, no one likes throwing away glossy.

My favourite magazine was Practical Boat Owner, but it didn't cater for motor boat owners. so I stopped reading that one. What we nee d is someone to read these blogs on this forum and give us their expert advice

Goo luck to all the staff, and thank you for your dedication and hard work.

Coustea1

Visit site
Very sad to see MBM go - I always enjoyed reading it, both in the old and new format.
This begs the question: what magazine is/will be catering to the 18ft-35ft sector? There is Boating in the US, and I can think of a few French titles. Seems like we all have large boats here in the UK....

Wishing all MBM staff all the best.

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Very sad to see MBM go - I always enjoyed reading it, both in the old and new format.
This begs the question: what magazine is/will be catering to the 18ft-35ft sector? There is Boating in the US, and I can think of a few French titles. Seems like we all have large boats here in the UK....

Wishing all MBM staff all the best.

Neal Byart, who used to MBM, is now owner/editor of Motorboat Owner, covering just this sector.