Motor Boats Monthly update

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
I think the worry is what will happen in the longer term. I'm sure advertisers will have had 'deals' for multiple magazine coverage anyway and the circulation for any that did will have now fallen - so which title will be next? IMHO it's wrong to allow the tail to wag the dog and it should be looked at from the other way - good content leads to more readers and more readers results in a better return/more incentive for advertisers. The first aspect in the chain appears to have been addressed and yet no time allowed for the effect to be felt? What a missed opportunity! Back in 1989, a colleague and I ran a nightclub for receivers - the owner had gone bust due to overspend and as primary creditors, the bank a brewery wanted to sell as a going concern. Conventional wisdom said that the club didn't open on unprofitable nights - so being a seaside town, as summer receded the nights were cut until they were only open Friday & Saturday nights. We took a different view (with some initial scepticism but support of the brewery) and, based on evidence that closing Monday impacted Tuesday and so on, opened all week. We more than trebled winter period profits against the previous year! The fact is that reducing your profile has a knock on effect and I can't help wonder what the advertisers responses will be when they come to review their own budgets? Creating a market for someone else to fill is a brave gamble in respect of remaining titles... :rolleyes:

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Remember, readers are irrelevant. Bottom line is profit. :(

.. yes the bottom line is profit as not many businesses want to be a charity, but the way to profit in magazines is advertising, and no advertiser is going to spend good money in a magazine with a low circulation... so readers are entirely relevant... if you want you favourite magazines to succeed, subscribe and buy them, don't read them in Smith's or Tesco's.. :D

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
For nostalgia reasons bought the last copy of MBM Oct issue yesterday boarding a train. I hadn't bought a copy for over a year as had lost interest due to all the big boat coverage and overlap with boring MBY. I have to say the October issue was very good and probably one of the most interesting I'd seen for years. Had the new format been around before I probably would have remained a reader. No interest in 'prawn sandwich' MBY articles. Its a shame because I heard MBM had only changed content direction earlier this year.

Having read the Oct issue it became apparent Fairprinceseeker had no adverts with Broom and Searay occupying the prime full page spaces. It seems clear the big three pulled the plug on MBM and killed it. I never subscribed because of the utter rip off subs rate in Ireland, 40% more than UK price despite near same postage. MBO from here on in for me.

JCBINNS

Visit site
As I am subscriber and pay by direct debit do I now cancel this if he magazine is no longer available. I pay for Motor Boats Monthly and Motor Boat and Yatching

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
As I am subscriber and pay by direct debit do I now cancel this if he magazine is no longer available. I pay for Motor Boats Monthly and Motor Boat and Yatching

This is the letter that went out.

We are sorry to have to inform you that as of the October cover dated issue, which is on sale 18th September, Time Inc. (UK) Ltd is ceasing to publish Motor Boats Monthly magazine, and therefore you will no longer receive your subscription copy after this date. This was not an easy decision for us to make and want you to know we did everything possible to continue publishing Motor Boats Monthly but it was not viable for us to do so.

Please note if you have any issues outstanding on this subscription these will automatically be transferred over to Motor Boat & Yachting magazine and your subscription will continue with the November cover dated issue, on sale 2nd October.

If you are currently a subscriber to Motor Boat & Yachting magazine then your subscription will be extended by the remaining balance of your Motor Boats Monthly subscription.

Alternatively if you would prefer your subscription to transfer to Practical Boat Owner please contact us on the email/ telephone number below.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact our customer care team via email at magazinesdirect@quadrantsubs.com or by telephone on 0330 333 0233 (our opening hours are Monday to Friday 08:30am to 17:30pm).

Kind regards

Rob Peake
Editor
Motor Boats Monthly

Best to call or email them, they turn it round more or less straight away.

JCBINNS

Visit site
I pay one direct debit payment for both magazines so I can't extend it to one magazine. As I no longer require Motor Boats and Yachting I am informing you I will be cancelling my direct debit.

Regards

John Binns