Mooring Strop

doug748

Visit site
Here is mine from last year.

Gert 30mm multiplait with and eye one end, for the cleat and a ss thimble on the other. The thin line is secured to a second cleat and also locks the eye onto the first with a turn or two, as does the float line:

1711107771535.jpeg

I find a swivel essential. The one shown is of a size beam trawlers use to secure their tackle so should endure till the pins wear. I fix the pins with cable tie + monel wire + spilt pin through the protruding end of the thread - of the three the only one which has never failed is the split pin

Quite short so brings the boat close to the buoy and does not foul the mooring when away sailing; stiff so helps hold the buoy off in light weather. One point fixing means it is easy to remove, which I did/do a few times a season.

The op could bring this thing aboard and secure the eye with lighter stuff to the two cleats but you have to be sure that your bow roller is strong enough.
The eagle eyed will see the plastic pipe needs replacing. I would probably use fire hose.

Farmer Piles

Visit site
I use two of these to make a bridle. They are cheap, tough and have anti chaff in the loops and they don't really rub You can get them in whatever length you like and whatever breaking strain - I use the 2t which is way over the top but still manageable and flexible. A boat on a mooring will never cause them to fail. I replace them every year just for my peace of mind but there is very little wear on them.
Smith & Locke Lifting Sling 3m x 60mm - Screwfix

One last point - don't ever use a stainless steel shackle on a galvanised mooring chain. The electrolysis between the two metals will eat the chain out in no time.

Marceline

Visit site
I would never have just one strop - I use 2 but see that refueler advocates three. The primary is 3.5m and secondary 4m made from octoplait. The soft eye is just big enough to go over the deck cleats so there isn't a need to lash them as well. I've been using this technique for over 30 years and have only had a couple of failures (of the primary) in all that time. Chafe has always been the cause where the polypipe protecting the rope has slipped. On our current boat (Maxi 1000) drop nose pins are also used to make sure the strops can't come out of the bow rollers.
thank you (y)