Mooring rental

jono_howlett

Visit site
Hi all,

I have just purchased a second mooring just down the coast and its not going to be occupied all the time so I was wondering if there was some way of renting it out short term, even by the day. I have thought about this before; maybe a website where moorings can be booked for short periods of time. Maybe a mobile premium rate number and a note saying "text "book mooring" to xxxxxxxx and then charge 2 quid or whatever. It would of course rely on honesty and I couldn't be bothered to check up all the time.

So a mooring with an honesty box, what do ya reakon?

jono

Lucky Duck

Visit site
If you find yourself using other peoples' moorings or other facilities free of charge then maybe you could let people use yours without charge also?

Seajet

Visit site
I think the insurance angle sadly has to be emphasized, nowadays.

I recently enquired as to setting up a public mooring, and spoke to my insurers.

" what is the maximum value of boat you envisage using it ? "

' owing to the position, could be well over £1 million '

" ERRR - can we call you back ?! "

Still awaiting their call but I got the message that good intentions don't seem to count nowadays.

There is even the nightmare alternative that someone looking to 'do an insurance job' might deliberately overload a mooring with some dodgy large boat, so as to claim from you !

jono_howlett

Visit site
It would also be necessary to have a VERY clear and indelible marking showing the maximum size of boat which could be attached.

Or a "Use at own risk no liability accepted" notice...

Maybe its not such a hot idea, which is a shame.

But, as per the original question, would you use something like this
and would you use the honesty box? (Of course you would :))

jono

bromleybysea

Visit site
So, you want to charge for the use of your mooring, even for a single day, and suggest a premium rate phone line to extract even more money from your fellow yachtsmen and women? I was more than happy for my mooring to be used, for free, nothing and gratis, when I was not using it. That is the gentlemanly attitude.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Or a "Use at own risk no liability accepted" notice...

I don't think you could do that and charge as well. I'm thinking of having a plastic sign engraved to go on my mooring saying

Boats up to 26' / 3 tons welcome to use at owner's risk.
Please be ready to move unless you have confirmed my return time - ring <number>​

But, as per the original question, would you use something like this
and would you use the honesty box? (Of course you would :))

If the mooring was clearly well maintained and the owner's details were given then I would use it. Otherwise I would prefer to trust my CQR than an unknown person's unknown ground tackle. Yes, I'd use the honesty box.

jono_howlett

Visit site
So, you want to charge for the use of your mooring, even for a single day, and suggest a premium rate phone line to extract even more money from your fellow yachtsmen and women? I was more than happy for my mooring to be used, for free, nothing and gratis, when I was not using it. That is the gentlemanly attitude.

Well I dont mean to sound money grubbing. I would never turn up and use someone elses mooring without their permission but if it had a number on to call or text to rent or borrow it I would defiantly think about it, particularly in an unfamiliar harbour.

jono

Seajet

Visit site
Well I dont mean to sound money grubbing. I would never turn up and use someone elses mooring without their permission but if it had a number on to call or text to rent or borrow it I would defiantly think about it, particularly in an unfamiliar harbour.

jono

Jono,

I'm pretty sure it's down to individual harbour bye-laws, but in Chichester it's fine to pick up someone elses' mooring, including overnight as long as one is ready to move at a moment's notice if they turn up.

I certainly wouldn't use a mooring which had a tender left on it, unless in some sort of emergency.

Visitors to the harbour may get caught for harbour dues if spotted, but then the same applies to anchoring.

It is regarded as a crime worth at least hanging to leave an unattended boat on someone elses' mooring, and to my knowledge this is very rare, but I tend to avoid the busy trendy parts of the harbour where this may happen more.

The other part of picking a mooring, as Ubergeekian mentions, is one has to use one's own judgement as to whether one trusts it, by state of maintenance - I've picked up moorings in expensive places like Bosham Channel to find a chain so corroded I was surprised it held the buoy, let alone a boat !