Mooring etiquette...what should I have done in this situation?

Appleyard

Visit site
We are moored stern-to on the quayside in Agathonissi ..the depth here is variable around 1.5 m to 1.8 m ,with some large underwater rocks here and there.we draw 1.4 m at the keel,but we made sure that our rudder is clear of any obstructions.

So along comes a German H.R. ,crew of 4, who asked us what the depth was ,we told them he facts,but nevertheless they decided to come in,stern-to beside us and of course their rudder grounded when they were about 2m from the quay.
They pulled themselves out from the quay,about 5metres ,to deeper water,tied up and then asked if they could use our boat to come on to and get back and forth ashore.
I told them that I was not happy with this request,particularly as I had previously indicated to them that their boat would draw too much.
Now there is obviously a bit of ill- feeeling directed at us,but what should I have done?
My suggestion that they use their dinghy elicited the information that they did not have one! (likely story)
We always try to be accommodating where possible but surely they are extracting the urine?

Appleyard

Visit site
Yes..but as I said in my post,they do not have a dinghy.

They are now sitting on their boat beside us drinking and giving us dirty looks.

penfold

Visit site
Have I misunderstood the situation or could they just turn round and come in bow first?

Pete

I'd have thought so; these germans must be management consultants, they've outlined a solution to a problem they've created and expect you to 1) act on it 2) be grateful! :D

Who goes cruising without a dinghy? :confused:

Appleyard

Visit site
Have I misunderstood the situation or could they just turn round and come in bow first?

Pete
I did suggest this to them,but they said that they did not have a stern anchor, which I thought was a bit odd ,
No dinghy...no kedge.
I do not wish so seem unsociable but four hulking Germans on and off the boat all night seemed a bit much,particularlyas I had advised then not to try and moor here.

Mad Pad

Visit site
Today,are you being serious?So effectivly they want to USE you as a gang plank??Or have I missed something?Is thier stern that close to your bow now that they can just step onboard?Oh well if that is the case,lift your gang plank and when they roll back from the TAVERNA start talking in loud tones abut the final stages of the 2nd World War (with a few inflictions from the 1st) then drizzle the '66 world cup on top..and pretend you don't speak a word of crout!Let us know the outcome.

alexsailor

Visit site
Uf... Germans vs. Brits...:) Hehe..

I think regardless of the nationality, skipper of the boat should make such a decision that no one would be affected. So, he should berth the boat where he can (considering the depths) step on the land if he (they) want so.
Tell him so.
I do not care if they do not have a dinghy or. whatever...
Why the f. must we, who have all the necessary equipment, always save the lazy or stupid ones.
I also do not care if that is HR. That does not mean anything to me...

I could agree with Trop Cher and would invite them onboard but I saw to many of those so called skippers.
But if you feel lonely than go for it.... It is never too late:)
Btw I choose sailing because I can have my own space (not like in some auto-camp).
Do not forget that we are talking here about the "drinking operation" not a life threatening one...

Palarran

Visit site
I've let quite a few boaters use us as a gangplank. They all, and I mean all, have been very courteous and removed their shoes before walking on the boat. But I'm from the States and we often raft off 8 deep so walking across someone's boat is common. I certainly understand getting tired of others being unprepared but IMO you have to in general help fellow boaters.

Tintin

Visit site
I think you are being out of order.

So what if they cocked up their mooring and didn't heed your advice.

Do you by any chance put a tender beside you to top people rafting up to you as well?

Be nice - they made a mistake. As another poster said, you may need their help someday.

(sheesh no wonder brits have a poor reputation)

Tintin

Visit site

Do you by any chance put a tender beside you to top people rafting up to you as well?

Be nice - they made a mistake. As another poster said, you may need their help someday.

tcm

Visit site
We are moored stern-to on the quayside in Agathonissi ..the depth here is variable around 1.5 m to 1.8 m ,with some large underwater rocks here and there.we draw 1.4 m at the keel,but we made sure that our rudder is clear of any obstructions.

So along comes a German H.R. ,crew of 4, who asked us what the depth was ,we told them he facts,but nevertheless they decided to come in,stern-to beside us and of course their rudder grounded when they were about 2m from the quay.
They pulled themselves out from the quay,about 5metres ,to deeper water,tied up and then asked if they could use our boat to come on to and get back and forth ashore.
I told them that I was not happy with this request,particularly as I had previously indicated to them that their boat would draw too much.
Now there is obviously a bit of ill- feeeling directed at us,but what should I have done?
My suggestion that they use their dinghy elicited the information that they did not have one! (likely story)
We always try to be accommodating where possible but surely they are extracting the urine?

Yeah, i'd say the same - i'd prefer not.

penfold

Visit site

Herman is too lazy to carry his anchor from the front of his boat to the back and not smart enough to lay out slack and use a line with a rolling hitch on the chain to allow a bow-in moor, so he should be allowed to trample over James' deck?

Appleyard

Visit site

Wrong....I always but always carry my dinghy on the foredeck and never fix it alongside to discourage anyone from coming alongside. As for rafting i have no objection either way.
What I Was unhappy about,in case you did not understand,was the fact that they expected to use me as a gangplank ,having been made aware that it would be impossible for them to moor stern to because of their depth.They did not "cock up their mooring" as you seem to suggest.I hope this makes it clear.
Rafting up is a completely different situation altogether.

Appleyard

Visit site
Herman is too lazy to carry his anchor from the front of his boat to the back and not smart enough to lay out slack and use a line with a rolling hitch on the chain to allow a bow-in moor, so he should be allowed to trample over James' deck?
My thoughts exactly.