• Will try anything

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Shout at the crew+ run round like a headless chicken

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mad_boater

Visit site
What method do forumites favor when mooring up. Throttles only or throttles with rudders.
I realise when under stress and heading for a collision we will try anything but which is the most effective?
One method I missed out was the insisting one of the crew takes a death defying leap onto a wobbly mooring finger.
NB
I think I may be confusing things,by throttles I mean't throttles with gears no use of rudders.
Only an idiot like me can make things difficult (Dooooh)

Last edited:

epervier

Visit site
Never Rush

No choice for me,;)

Always have everything ready before hand, springs, bow&stern warps, fenders deployed, I use gears, neutral, frd/ast, very rarely throttles.

Never rush it, and don't panic Mr Mainwaring:D

There again I have twinscrews on shafts.:cool:

CharlieAlpha

Visit site
with a pair of outdrives I don't have a rudder, but I do use wheel and gears and as already said slow and steady so its just into and out of gear, I also find using one throttle engaged at a time easier and saves confusion when verly close quartered but I'm still learning.

BartW

www.amptec.be
alway's throttles only while mooring /close quarter handling,
with rudders in the center position,

But,

I keep in mind to preset the rudders in the correct position needed to go full forward. (to get maximum steering efficiency when going forward)

my rudders have almost zero effect going backwords
I try to get maximum effect from the rudders going forward (steer before gear)

excuse my limited vocabulary for explaining this

FalconSteve

Visit site
I've been taught to use tick over gears only, but I find it much less stressful to use the wheel as well. I have stern drives so not the same as op rudder option. always slow and always bring the boat to a standstill if things aren't going the way I plan (often happens in a breeze).
I remember when I first started boating, madly racing the engines and yanking them in and out of forward and astern as obstacles rushed towards me. best lesson I learned was how to stop and hold position.

lisilou

Visit site
Slow and steady using gears but out of habit, I always have 1 hand on the wheel and yes, I use the BT when needed.
L
:)

U4

Visit site
I'm on outdrives so in benign conditions just pop it in and out of gear, most of the time though its a turn of the wheel prior to engaging the gear....

hlb

RIP
Visit site
:D. The first thing is nothing to do with boats much, but more about comunication. Boat (In forward direction) would do anything I asked (Twin screw). Crew, mostly women, I found that all situations had to be dealt with, with just one instruction. Well no instructions at all, it was always just the same as last time.

Course that might mean that the boat had to use all 400 HP, to keep in position,

Or I had to work like a donkey. But far prefferable than upsetting a female.:)

So it was always, nose in, Wife, sorry:eek: crew, lassoo cleat. Engines do all the rest. Walk off calmly.
Bow thrutchers are distinctly designed to confuse the wife.:eek: Sorry crew.

Whopper

Visit site
Twin screw: Usually throttles only for me with some thruster when needed. Being inland most of the spaces tend to be alongside, if space is tight on an alongside mooring I'll go for some combined throttle thruster sideways action. I also generally prefer reversing into normal marina spaces (I know thats the norm for a lot of you but not on Irish inland waterways). When there is a flow present, I usually face into the flow. Not to pushed about direction into wind.

Single screw ski boat: Always alongside on the right hand side (clockwise rotating prop).

BGW

www.marina.ie
I use whatever method is appropriate in the situation - I will not doggedly use one method because it's the 'correct way'
Although I have twin scews I may still use the rudders as it gives a tighter turn, and in difficult situations I use the bow thruster - especially when single handed.

tinkicker0

Visit site
Single sterndrive, single throttle, no rudder, no differential thrust and a hull with zero grip on the water at marina speeds.

So I tend to "arrive" rather than moor up with an alarmed look on my face and much shouting at SWMBO as the boat slides sideways past the end of the berth finger on pure lateral momentum.
With all the rapid, panicked clacking and clonking into and out of gear on such occasions it has been known for some on the pontoon to wonder if I had a conrod bent on escaping the confines of the engine block.

When we finally get onto the berth there are huge sighs of relief from all onlookers who can finally return their attention to their wine glasses, confident that once again, they have escaped the requirement of gelcoat repairs.

Elessar

Visit site
What method do forumites favor when mooring up. Throttles only or throttles with rudders.
I realise when under stress and heading for a collision we will try anything but which is the most effective?
One method I missed out was the insisting one of the crew takes a death defying leap onto a wobbly mooring finger.
NB
I think I may be confusing things,by throttles I mean't throttles with gears no use of rudders.

The answer is completely different for shafts or out drives so I can't vote.

gravygraham

Visit site
Twin shafts? Piece of cake . . . I only need my bowthruster when I have an audience. On the rare occasion there's only myself and crew in the marina she goes in like a hand in glove every time.

Elessar

Visit site
Slow and steady using gears but out of habit, I always have 1 hand on the wheel and yes, I use the BT when needed.
L
:)
You have out drive LL, learn to use the wheel and one engine at a time and you'll find the boat stays manageable in more extreme wind/tide conditions. This leave the wheel alone business is for shafts.

Elessar

Visit site
with a pair of outdrives I don't have a rudder, but I do use wheel and gears and as already said slow and steady so its just into and out of gear, I also find using one throttle engaged at a time easier and saves confusion when verly close quartered but I'm still learning.

1 engine at a time with out drives is what I use and what I teach. Easier IS right and your whole approach sounds perfect :)

Elessar

Visit site
NB

On your boat gears and b/t only. You can use the wheel to increase the rate of turn but will only be neccessary in extreme conditions.

For practice on shafts use no wheel and one engine at a time. Once you are really happy with what does what, forward gear on one engine, astern PLUS some revs on the other and you can turn on the spot more quickly. Wheel in the direction of the forward engine and you will turn quicker still. Why does quicker matter when the aim is to go slow? It shows you have more turning force available to counteract wind when you need it.

mad_boater

Visit site
On your boat gears and b/t only. You can use the wheel to increase the rate of turn but will only be neccessary in extreme conditions.

For practice on shafts use no wheel and one engine at a time. Once you are really happy with what does what, forward gear on one engine, astern PLUS some revs on the other and you can turn on the spot more quickly. Wheel in the direction of the forward engine and you will turn quicker still. Why does quicker matter when the aim is to go slow? It shows you have more turning force available to counteract wind when you need it.

Mark I will admit to being a bit of a novice at mooring where my current boat is concerned with the influence of strong tides and wind.My old boat was 11tons not 6 like this one and it had a keel and low air draft low catwalks twin screws on shafts.A full planing hull and high air draft and aspecially in adverse conditions have been a recipe for great consternation when trying to moor up.
I dont like to brag but I will anyway, with my old boat I could make it 'talk' very rarely did it catch me out.I think I need to practice more even though its like trying to maneuver a leaf on a pond. I once had a round of applause (I don't know if was admiration or relief) from the crew of a very large boat in Poole boat haven after reversing from a very tight awkward narrow spot past them.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Mizen & part reefed headsail usually, but some times just the main. There doesn't seem to be an option for sail choice. :confused:

:D:D:D

Actually, when under engine, it has to be gentle throttle AND rudder as only single screw, but excellent prop wash & predictable prop walk to kick stern into quayside if going alongside.