Mooring around Algarve / Gib

[3889]

Visit site
Looking at relocating to this area next season and I know there is considerable knowledge on the region here.
36' AWB drawing 2m, usage pattern will be flying out from the UK to Gib or Faro then 4-6 weeks aboard in cruising mode. La Linea seems to offer the best marina deal (?). Are there any mooring buoys in Faro lagoon or up the Guadiana where the boat could be left for a month or two? I've visited both and they're the sort of places I have in mind but not sure on monthly berthing options . I'll probably over-winter in a marina.
Don't mind a couple of hours travel from airport or dinghying/ water taxi to boat. Any experience of insurers' attitude to keeping a boat on a swinging mooring here would also be appreciated.

Last edited:

Heckler

Visit site
Looking at relocating to this area next season and I know there is considerable knowledge on the region here.
36' AWB drawing 2m, usage pattern will be flying out from the UK to Gib or Faro then 4-6 weeks aboard in cruising mode. La Linea seems to offer the best marina deal (?). Are there any mooring buoys in Faro lagoon or up the Guadiana where the boat could be left for a month or two? I've visited both and they're the sort of places I have in mind but not sure on monthly berthing options . I'll probably over-winter in a marina.
Don't mind a couple of hours travel from airport or dinghying/ water taxi to boat. Any experience of insurers' attitude to keeping a boat on a swinging mooring here would also be appreciated.
Ive done it with my 38ft Beneteau. The realisation hit me as we hit the Algarve, its going to be expensive! Albufeira is the cheapest marina on the Algarve at about E4200, La Linea cheapest on south or Sw Spain at about E4500 Another option is do the Culatra and Guadiana free anchoring but go back to Bruces yard for storage on the hard at about E8 per day. Be aware the lift in and out plus a scrub costs about E120 each way plus scrub so do the math. Graham M376 may know of a mooring for rent in the pool by Bruces and will know about the insurance.
Call me on 07967313792 for a chat if you want.
Stu

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com

Heckler

Visit site
It's worth checking out the two Gib marinas - For my boat 43ft they were cheaper than la Linea or anywhere else nearby and I hauled at Isla Verde just across the bay tax free... more here: http://www.michaelbriant.com/gibraltar.htm or at http://www.michaelbriant.com/spain_sailing.htm

The least expensive place and a good place to winter at the lowest cost is Almirimar

Michael
Almerimar is 150 ? miles further on. I asked the lady in QQM about a berth, she did that bossy Gib thing, oh we are full email me. I did, she didnt get back, her loss! The boat was damaged in MBM by the swell and lack of decent tying up by the boats on either side of me. I then chose LL, the safest with no swell and proper pontoons on 7 where we are.
Stu

Last edited:

capnsensible

Visit site
Sancti Petri, about 10 miles south of Cadiz has swinging moorings. Fab little place, the yacht club runs the moorings and a 24 hour water taxi.

Very sheltered, up a fast flowing river. One of my favourite stops in the area.

Worth a look at the Junta Andalucia marinas if you want a pontoon. Chipiona, Rota, Cadiz and Barbatte all offer discounts for longer stays.

:encouragement:

GrahamM376

Visit site
Moorings in Faro pool (Quatros Aguas) are all privately owned but the Ginasio Clube Naval in Faro small boat marina sometimes have one to rent. Talk to Manuel Belchior at the club. Alternative is dry sail out of Bruce's yard (Nave Pegos). German Paul (if he's still around) has some moorings for rent in the Guadiana at Laranjeiras but I've no contact details. Vila Real de St Antonio Marina at the mouth of the Guadiana is the cheapest along the Algarve and then there are the Andalucia junta marinas which start at Ayamonte which are cheaper than the other Algarve marinas. As Stu says, LaLinea is cheap, last time we were there Gib was the same price. Not sure what the cost of flights is now, since Monarch packed up. may be just BA and Sleazyjet.

Heckler

Visit site
Sancti Petri, about 10 miles south of Cadiz has swinging moorings. Fab little place, the yacht club runs the moorings and a 24 hour water taxi.

Very sheltered, up a fast flowing river. One of my favourite stops in the area.

Worth a look at the Junta Andalucia marinas if you want a pontoon. Chipiona, Rota, Cadiz and Barbatte all offer discounts for longer stays.

:encouragement:
I liked Rota, nice place!
Stu

Heckler

Visit site
Moorings in Faro pool (Quatros Aguas) are all privately owned but the Ginasio Clube Naval in Faro small boat marina sometimes have one to rent. Talk to Manuel Belchior at the club. Alternative is dry sail out of Bruce's yard (Nave Pegos). German Paul (if he's still around) has some moorings for rent in the Guadiana at Laranjeiras but I've no contact details. Vila Real de St Antonio Marina at the mouth of the Guadiana is the cheapest along the Algarve and then there are the Andalucia junta marinas which start at Ayamonte which are cheaper than the other Algarve marinas. As Stu says, LaLinea is cheap, last time we were there Gib was the same price. Not sure what the cost of flights is now, since Monarch packed up. may be just BA and Sleazyjet.
Best plan, get to Bruces, meet everyone and get the latest up to date info.
Stu

capnsensible

Visit site
I liked Rota, nice place!
Stu

Me too. Despite having a massive NATO base there, we always found that the US servicemen there in abundance, are much better behaved than, for example, ex submariners!

Could get a bit noisy sometimes with fast jets whizzing around, but I quite liked watching them.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Almerimar is 150 ? miles further on. I asked the lady in QQM about a berth, she did that bossy Gib thing, oh we are full email me. I did, she didnt get back, her loss!
Stu

Jacqui at QQM is actually a very nice and helpful person. When we left half way through our rental period to go to Barcelona she volunteered and succeeded in getting us a refund for the unused months. QQM is pretty near full most of the time but do have winter berths sometimes. It is a small marina so fills up quite quickly but the 5-6 years we had there were very pleasurable and Gib is a good place for ex pats.

You said Almirimar is 150 miles further on - that's just an overnight (day/night/day) - we used to do it all the time when base in Gib, using Almirimar as a jumping off point for the Balearics or Sardinia. It has really excellent facilities and the winter rate is truly the lowest you will find anywhere. OK the airport is a 60€ taxi ride away and there are stacks of English - Irish bars and restaurants but the free tapas at say McGowans are terrific value - for lunch we would only pay for the drinks - food came free

[3889]

Visit site
Exactly the sort of info I was after so thanks to everyone. Thanks for the offer of a heads up, Stu. Will take you upon that once I know the the wheres and whens ( You may not remember but we have met before when we "did a deal" outside a pub!).
The Junta Andalucia marinas have stirred a memory of a previous recommendation and Sancti Petri sounds promising. My last visit to VR San Antonio involved panic-stricken beam-on progress, during the flood in a strong S'ly, into a blind causeway (I wasn't skipper) but I'm sure that's something you could get used to, or even prepare for.
Whilst Almerimar is warm and good value I would prefer Atlantic, rather than Med sailing conditions. I assume I'm right in thinking there is more chance of wind W of Gib?

[3889]

Visit site
Nothing like the noise on a hammer head in Marina Bay when tornados are taking off in pairs with afterburn 75 metres away.

The owner of a boat I sailed on was adamant that jet fuel there had destroyed his 6 month old sprayhood windows. They were yellow and opaque. Yet anther reason for not leaving your sprayhood permanently rigged.

Garold

Visit site
Whilst Almerimar is warm and good value I would prefer Atlantic, rather than Med sailing conditions. I assume I'm right in thinking there is more chance of wind W of Gib?

Last winter we were in La Linea and it had plenty of wind - enough to build house sized piles of driftwood and debris on the Beach to the east. Not sure about the summer but since it’s so close to Tarifa (one of the windiest spots in Europe) the winds there must be fairly reliable even in summer.

Garold

GrahamM376

Visit site
Last winter we were in La Linea and it had plenty of wind - enough to build house sized piles of driftwood and debris on the Beach to the east. Not sure about the summer but since it’s so close to Tarifa (one of the windiest spots in Europe) the winds there must be fairly reliable even in summer.

Garold

Needed the life raft repacking this summer, every time we had time to go and looked at the Straits weather, it was blowing 40+ kts easterly at Tarifa. Ended up driving down with B & B overnight.

capnsensible

Visit site
The owner of a boat I sailed on was adamant that jet fuel there had destroyed his 6 month old sprayhood windows. They were yellow and opaque. Yet anther reason for not leaving your sprayhood permanently rigged.

Poor chap. In 15 or so years of living and working on pier 3 that didnt happen to either of my yachts!

Heckler

Visit site
Jacqui at QQM is actually a very nice and helpful person. When we left half way through our rental period to go to Barcelona she volunteered and succeeded in getting us a refund for the unused months. QQM is pretty near full most of the time but do have winter berths sometimes. It is a small marina so fills up quite quickly but the 5-6 years we had there were very pleasurable and Gib is a good place for ex pats.

You said Almirimar is 150 miles further on - that's just an overnight (day/night/day) - we used to do it all the time when base in Gib, using Almirimar as a jumping off point for the Balearics or Sardinia. It has really excellent facilities and the winter rate is truly the lowest you will find anywhere. OK the airport is a 60€ taxi ride away and there are stacks of English - Irish bars and restaurants but the free tapas at say McGowans are terrific value - for lunch we would only pay for the drinks - food came free
I liked Almerimar, cheap marina as well, cost me about E15 a night, cheaper than LL even. I liked the proper tapas bars as well, as you say, drinks, food free. Full of Spanish people as well, indicating good value? I heard snobbish remarks about it but the only downside I saw was the distance from the airport. Jacqui may be lovely, thats what my mate Scott from next to you said, but the day we walked in she did that Gib thing, the airy dismissal with that hint of patronise that they do so well! I love Gib, the old fashioned ways etc but they can be irritating as well! Not answering emails is silly!
Stu

Heckler

Visit site
Exactly the sort of info I was after so thanks to everyone. Thanks for the offer of a heads up, Stu. Will take you upon that once I know the the wheres and whens ( You may not remember but we have met before when we "did a deal" outside a pub!).
The Junta Andalucia marinas have stirred a memory of a previous recommendation and Sancti Petri sounds promising. My last visit to VR San Antonio involved panic-stricken beam-on progress, during the flood in a strong S'ly, into a blind causeway (I wasn't skipper) but I'm sure that's something you could get used to, or even prepare for.
Ah, the spinny bag? Cursed myself after I bought a gennaker off here! Ah well. The VRSA thing, know all about that, cocked the timing up, went in an hour early, was told to go on the break water but the marineros did their gesticulating bit towards a tight inner berth, the water rising as it hit a pontoon end warned of things to come. I turned side on to the flood in to the alley and suddenly was swept sideways to the berthed yachts with the owners sunbathing in their cockpits. I could hear the crunch of glass and wire in my mind! Insurance claims etc! I hit the throttle hard to get some way on to get the keel to bite and some flow over the rudder and span it hard to port. It worked, I sucked my belly in as we swept past the moored ones, conscious of the wives on them hurtling for their fenders, the mens jaws just dropped! A space appeared at the bow and we swept in with the admiral hopping off with a line, the kids with the fenders, I gave a burst of astern and we were safe. I was shaking. I fired a few anglo saxons at the marineros for changing the parking spot at the last minute and made a mental note to ignore marineros ever after! The admiral reckoned later on that if I hadnt shouted that everyone would have thought it was a swift stylish entrance! I still shudder thinking about it!
Stu

jordanbasset

Visit site
I liked Almerimar, cheap marina as well, cost me about E15 a night, cheaper than LL even. I liked the proper tapas bars as well, as you say, drinks, food free. Full of Spanish people as well, indicating good value? I heard snobbish remarks about it but the only downside I saw was the distance from the airport. Jacqui may be lovely, thats what my mate Scott from next to you said, but the day we walked in she did that Gib thing, the airy dismissal with that hint of patronise that they do so well! I love Gib, the old fashioned ways etc but they can be irritating as well! Not answering emails is silly!
Stu

Agree about Almerimar, when we were there they had a dozen or so Spanish bars/restaurants and 3 British Bars which also did food. It was a good combination and as you say lots of Spanish use it and visit there. Plus it did have a very good chandlers and a place you could get steel and canvas work done at reasonable prices plus a good supermarket, all within a few minutes walk.