Moody 346 - any similar?

Tranona

Visit site
I didn't mean to rankle any Bav owners so sorry about my insensitivity there but can only speak from personal experience. Maybe the sails were shot on the 38 or something.

No need to apologise. Just that it is all too easy to dismiss more modern boats whereas in reality they are equally capable of doing the job.

The dilemma you have in this size/price range is that the older boats are much more variable and really good ones are difficult to find. I seriously considered changing my Bavaria (which was then in Greece) for a Moody/Westerly in the UK. I got depressed at the state of the boats available at a comparable price - most needing £10-15k to bring them up to the same level as my Bavaria. At 30 years old most need expenditure on engine/sails/ furnishing/rigging/electronics etc. If they don't then a premium price is asked. I looked at 3 Moody 376s in one day and only one was usable without major work - unsurprisingly sold at a premium within days. One of the others had been on the market for nearly two years slowly decaying and losing value.

In the end I gave up as everytime I used it I realised how much better it was than anything else I could get for similar money.

Good luck with your search. Look at lots of boats before you take the plunge.

jonic

www.jryachts.com
I have both a Westerly Seahawk MK11 (Larger version with Sugarscoop) and a Moody336 which has a large aft cabin but an aft cockpit on my link below.

Excellent Bav 41 too but it's above your budget.

Moody 376's occasionally sell towards your price range.

Tranona

Visit site
Moody 376's occasionally sell towards your price range.

A good 376 will be £60k+ - long way from £35k I have looked at lower priced 376s (see above) and they only be worth the lower price - that is need a lot of work.