Monterey 250cr

Chas25

Visit site
We owned a 2006 D4 powered 250 for 3 years, cracking boat, light she would just hit 40knts even full 35 was normal, cruised back from Channel Islands in flat sea's at 30knts all the way :)

We used ours for everything wake boarding, ringo's 2 week holidays etc a very solid and comfortable boat, good value for money to boot!

What did you want to know? Feel free to PM me if you wish

Charlie

Big Zebedee

Visit site
Hi, charlie, was that the 260hp D4?
Have you heard of any problems with the D4 being set too low in the boat & the turbo taking in water when the engine not running??

Chas25

Visit site
Hi, charlie, was that the 260hp D4?
Have you heard of any problems with the D4 being set too low in the boat & the turbo taking in water when the engine not running??

Hi, yes ours was a D4-260, didn't hear anything about it being mounted too low and certainly didn't have any issues with the turbo taking in water. To be honest the only issue we had was with the hydraulic rams on the leg.. A well documented Design fault with the leg and easily fixed.

Visit site
Chas
That sounds fabulous.
The other guys boat was running way to slow, but I've never heard of one going as quick as yours! Not sure how you got that performance from her, but I am impressed.

Not being funny, but are you sure it was knots and not mph?

Chas25

Visit site
Yes I am positive on the figures and units of measure, she was a quick boat for what she was (is)

D4 with duo-prop was a good combination, I did try the yanmar powered version before buying the D4 and they really were very different

I'm sure if I hunt back I'll find a few pics.. Had a habit of being a bit sad when it came to that sort of thing!

Big Zebedee

Visit site
I've heard that with all the Volvo's electronics. There was problems with the gauges reading correctly & unsuitable for the engine.
To be honest, I've heard that many conflicting stories I just don't know what to believe.

lambohill

Visit site
Probably not popular on here with this theory, but having had a petrol 350mag on a 275 for four years , i can advise that consumption is about £1.5k pa for about 100 hours of our use some plane / some disp. Point being, that this is not youir biggest cost! LOLhttp://www.ybw.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.png

rhino_mac

Visit site
Thing I find though is that you can buy diesel anywhere you go pretty much, but petrol seems to be a bit hit or miss in a lot of places. I'm not sure I fancy filling the tank up with jerry cans - your arms would be about a foot longer!

I agree fuel costs aren't what I thought they would be though. I did about £700 in diesel last year including 5 trips from Poole to the Isle of Wight with a fully loaded boat. Petrol at my marina is about 40% more than diesel, and diesels are what, 20% more efficient than petrols? (I guess, not really sure!). So my bill would have been about £500 more in a petrol boat I guess.

The thing I find in this category of boat though, is that most of the boats have an mpi or mag350 engine. Diesels are a bit less common, but more desirable because of the efficiency/reliability. So the premium you pay on the diesel, you get back when you sell it and (hopefully) it sells a bit easier as lots of people would prefer a diesel engine.

On anther note, for the OP, isn't the 275 a rebadged 250? We had one in the Parkstone Bay and they are identical to my 250 - the 275 just makes allowance for the swim platform plus the hull whereas the 250 just takes the hull into account.

RobWales

www.3ksengineering.com
Just noticed one of these has been posted on ebay (nothing to do with me I may add)...

Has the Yanmar 315 fitted which is an engine I can vouch for having had one in an ex boat, advert does not say which outdrive is fitted however?...I'm guessing a MercB3??....But even these struggled to handle the torque, though had no problems with mine!

Anyway as I said I have no connections,just a heads up!

timandvic

Visit site
brought the boat in september really impressed with her . first boat and proabaly should of started with something smaller but beutifully looked after and maintained and she hasnt lost any of the speed

Hamish10

Visit site
Hi, I noted Chas25 comments about the Monterey 250cr with wakeboarding etc. I looking at a 2006 with the volvo penta D4 260 with twin prop. Hoping someone can advise if this boat will pop up ok with a 90kg bloke on a slalom ski, or if there is likely to be a bit too much drag meaning too tiresome for the skier on the pull up for single waterski on this one. It sounds that getting to the required 35mph will ok one up but is there likely to issue on the pull up? Thanks

Chas25

Visit site
I've no experience of slalom skiing, wakeboarding and regular skiing were about all I've been able to manage! On a good day I may be around 90kg and never had any issue with getting going on either skis or board, you may find it a bit of an issue on a mono and if your target speed is 35knts you'll have to be careful about how clean the hull is and how much stuff you put on board as you will be at WOT to achieve that towing!

Great boat though, thoroughly enjoyed having mine ?

Other threads that may be of interest