Monterey 250cr

Big Zebedee

Visit site
Hi, I am currently looking at the Monterey 250cr 2005-2006
I have read on here that there is some members have or have had this boat.
My question is, Yanmar 240hp or Volvo D4 engine
Whats the Pro's & Cons of each ie, reliability, any Scare stories.
I do believe that the Yanmar was not factory fitted. Is this a Bad thing. There does seem to be a lot more 250cr's with the Yanmar engine on the Market.
Is this because the yanmar was more popular an engine or is it because the yanmar package is showing signs of failure & folk are getting rid of them.
I currently have a 2005 Regal 1800 with a 1.7 diesel & just Looking to upgrade to the trailerable cruiser range. I do my boating on Loch Lomond & tow to Italy once a year to Lake Garda for a 2 week holiday in the sun.
More than one question I know but you know how it is Lol
Thank you

RobWales

www.3ksengineering.com
Unable to vouch for the 240 Yanmar, but know the 6cyl in 315 hp mode and that was a superb motor...
250cr I'm guessing is the circa 25ft model?....large boat to tow will require a big car and very big trailer, may even be on the limit for UK towing weights?

Whitelighter

Visit site
Chas25 had a D4 engined boat - quite rare as most were yanmar or D3.

All Diesel engine boats had the engines installed after build here in the uk by the importer. The tanks just don't do Diesel engines in this size of boat.

D4 is a lovely package but should command a premium over the others

rhino_mac

Visit site
I have a Monterey 250cr with the Yanmar 4LHA diesel engine.

The UK importer fitted them as standard to 2006, then they changed to a Volvo 190hp engine which is a little under powered and only really sees 25 knots flat out. Mine cruises at 25 and will do about 31 according to the GPS. I spoke to the UK importer and they only ever imported one Monterey with a petrol engine so you will almost exclusively find 250cr's with Yanmars.

From what I've read online, the 4LHA is a superb engine and very reliable. It's a "proper" Yanmar rather than a bought in motor. I have had mine for about 18 months now and it has performed faultlessly (not wanting to jinx it!!). If you do a search on 4LHA you'll find a few threads confirming they are a good engine.

If you want to know anything more feel free to PM, or post it up on here and I'll try to answer.

Edit - Just found a quote from Latestarter - "4LH was a true blue, well actually grey all Yanmar engine. Sold in huge numbers around the world as package that was designed to replace V8 gasoline small block motors. Pretty much a zero issue engine."

So there you go!

Last edited:

beejay190

Visit site
Hi, I am currently looking at the Monterey 250cr 2005-2006
I have read on here that there is some members have or have had this boat.
My question is, Yanmar 240hp or Volvo D4 engine
Whats the Pro's & Cons of each ie, reliability, any Scare stories.
I do believe that the Yanmar was not factory fitted. Is this a Bad thing. There does seem to be a lot more 250cr's with the Yanmar engine on the Market.
Is this because the yanmar was more popular an engine or is it because the yanmar package is showing signs of failure & folk are getting rid of them.
I currently have a 2005 Regal 1800 with a 1.7 diesel & just Looking to upgrade to the trailerable cruiser range. I do my boating on Loch Lomond & tow to Italy once a year to Lake Garda for a 2 week holiday in the sun.
More than one question I know but you know how it is Lol
Thank you

Here is a one for sale in very good condition. Well worth a look.

http://www.parkstonebayyachts.com/boats-for-sale/details/476/Monterey_250_boat_far_sale/

Big Zebedee

Visit site
Thanks for the replys so far guys. I have every 250 for sale in the uk saved on my phone. Except one which is the D3 engine. (Underpowered)

http://www.ancasta.com/boats-for-sale/monterey-250-cr-28077/

http://motorboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=330492

http://motorboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=320734

http://www.parkstonebay.com/boat-sales/boats-for-sale/details/476/Monterey_250_boat_far_sale/

http://motorboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=253360

http://www.rightboat.com/boats-for-sale/monterey-250-87188

Really don't know which one to go for. I like the one in ireland that's fresh water use only, only coz it's only ever been in fresh water (the kind to metal stuff)
This boat can be trailered & my towcar is the new ford Ranger tow capacity 3500kg
I drive petrol tankers for a living so towing a big boat don't scare me. If the law would allow me to tow bigger I would but yes. This boat is just about on the limit & there is trailers out there that can take the boat legally.
Once again thanks for the reply's

rhino_mac

Visit site
The one in Parkstone Bay has been out of the water on dry berth for the last 4 years at least if it helps. They have a great system there. Turn up and the boat is launched within 10 minutes. I know because it's mine!

Big Zebedee

Visit site
Lol Rhino-Mac, I may be in touch soon then mate. Surely you still have been using it over the last 4 years eh??
It's a nice boat & I see it still has the Foredeck cushion as well. I like the teak effect cockpit carpets. Does the boat have an electric windlass?
Have you any more pix??
Is the outdrive in good condition??

rhino_mac

Visit site
I've owned it for about 18 months and the previous owner had it Parkstone Bay too. The smaller boats are all stored out of the water and they forklift them into the water as you turn up at the marina so I've used it all season. But it's great for the boat to be out of the water and allows you to easily keep the boat all up together. I can wax the hull completely as it's store on a big trailer. I've used it all summer, generally about Poole Harbour but I did about 5 trips to the Isle of Wight and Lymington.

The engine and drive were serviced about 40 hours use ago and are in great condition. It has a new Garmin 750s GPS with fish finder, a new Garmin 100 DSC VHF and importantly I fitted Bennet trim tab indicators as American boats seem to be sensitive to trim. I also fitted that teak effect decking and it's less than a year old. Has about 220 hours on the clocks. And it's got that deck pad as you point out. They are horrifically expensive if you have to buy one (like $1000 or something crazy). No windlass I'm afraid but it's not a problem hauling the anchor up especially if you have someone at the helm to help inch forward.

If you want to view speak to Tom or Claire at Parkstone Bay. Regardless of what boat you buy, the Monterey is a great boat and I'm sure you'll be pleased if you buy one. Mine always gets compliments wherever I go because the styling is so good and they look great with the black hull.

rhino_mac

Visit site
Honestly, I'm not sure I can justify the cost of a boat. Mooring is expensive here and I'm not one that I can justify the cost of running one. I guess it costs me about £7000 per annum with fuel and maintenance and I guess I used it 20 times this year.

I love boating though and if it doesn't sell I'm not going to lose much sleep over it. I guess I just thought I'd try it on brokerage and see if an acceptable offer comes along. Worst case scenario is that it doesn't sell over the winter ill keep it another year and try to use it more to better justify the expense.

I know I've gone on about my boat but in all seriousness, if you're set on a Monterey 250 I'm happy to offer any advise or answer any questions you might have about them, even if mine isn't of interest. I think they are great boats. Fuel is cheap with the Diesel engine (fuel is my lowest cost each year at about £700). It handles the rough stuff pretty well (been caught out badly in it and the boat handled it better than me) and its big enough to overnight on with a mate for a day or two in relative comfort. Go for it!

Big Zebedee

Visit site
Thanks a lot mate. They are the best looking boats I've seen in that class & weight plus plenty diesels kicking about.
Me & the Mrs will get the boats printed off & plan a few days holiday in the south coast to view them all.
Mercuryman has Pm'd me with some good info so good to know I've got a couple of people on here to guide me if needed.
Really looking forward to upgrading & spending Nights away with the mrs without taking a tent down in the pissing rain. Scotland struggles to string more than 2 days of nice weather together. Worth it though as Loch Lomond is a beautiful place & has all I need. Lake Garda is off the Scale though. Amazing boaters paradise :D

Visit site
Rhino_mac's boat is certainly a very nice example (dusty at the moment Richard after / as a result of the current weather).
Generally clean and tidy and still in use as opposed to laid up somewhere feeling sorry for herself.
She is kept on a dry berth so her hull is always clean and growth free too.

I do have a vested interest in her though which I have to declare!

Ripster

Visit site
I had one a few years back with a Yanmar 4HLA in it - 2004 model I think. Pull about 26-7knots WOT - still a bit underpowered I always thought. Engine was reliable but noisy. But... I had all sorts of issues with the drive - cost me many £'s and lots of lost season time and this was despite having a full service record. Mine had a Bravo II (not the III with duoprop). Others will tell you that the Bravo II is a good strong drive, so who knows. Another similar boat to consider is the Jeanneau leader 805, which a neighbour of mine had and I always admired. Have fun.

Visit site
I had one a few years back with a Yanmar 4HLA in it - 2004 model I think. Pull about 26-7knots WOT - still a bit underpowered I always thought. Engine was reliable but noisy. But... I had all sorts of issues with the drive - cost me many £'s and lots of lost season time and this was despite having a full service record. Mine had a Bravo II (not the III with duoprop). Others will tell you that the Bravo II is a good strong drive, so who knows. Another similar boat to consider is the Jeanneau leader 805, which a neighbour of mine had and I always admired. Have fun.

I think you had issues from the start if you were only getting 26 / 27. The boat should do 30 or just over with the Yanmar.
I was chatting with Richard about his earlier and we both agree that they benefit from having tabs down when kicking off simply to pop her up a bit more quickly, but with a 30ish knot WOT they aren't what I would call under powered, just perhaps not rocket powered.

rhino_mac

Visit site
I get 30-31 knots according to my GPS in a calm sea at about 3750rpm, and there is plenty of evidence on this forum to suggest that the tachos on this boat read over the given RPM by about 200 RPM. There was a big thread about it a while back. 25 knots is about 3200 RPM. I rarely if ever use WOT. I tend to cruise longer distances at between 20-22 knots which is a nice comfortable speed with the kids on board and at this speed the boat is very fuel efficient. Mine has the Bravo 2 drive and touch wood, it's been fine. My only issue to date has been the trim gauge on the dash set itself to half way up even when the drive was fully trimmed in just after it was serviced. Saltwater Marine recalibrated this in a few minutes when I pointed it out.

I tend to use mine full of fuel with 4+ people onboard so it needs tabs down to get her up on the plane quickly. Once on the plane, I trim the tabs fully up with the exception of the left hand one which I leave down 2 LED's as the boat naturally seems to heel left (as do all American Sports Cruisers). I fitted the Bennett Trim Tab Indicators for this reason - it makes it so much easier to trim and as Lisiloo pointed out above, the Monterey does seem to be be sensitive to trim. If the boat is half full with two people performance is much better. Getting on the plane is easy and doesn't need any tab, although it tends to ride a bit bow high and you can end up dragging your bum in the water for a way from a standing start!!

Ripster

Visit site
I think you had issues from the start if you were only getting 26 / 27. The boat should do 30 or just over with the Yanmar.
I was chatting with Richard about his earlier and we both agree that they benefit from having tabs down when kicking off simply to pop her up a bit more quickly, but with a 30ish knot WOT they aren't what I would call under powered, just perhaps not rocket powered.

Well maybe and that was what I was told when I bought her. I tried a couple of different pitch props, had everything checked out by the dealer, but only ever got the above on the GPS. I used to use the TT's as well to try and help, she just felt as if she do with a bit more oomph. Don't get me wrong, for the money, she was great fun once planing with sharp handling and reasonable sea manners.

BartW

www.amptec.be
This boat can be trailered & my towcar is the new ford Ranger tow capacity 3500kg

aha,
finally someone else on here with some serious towing plans, :)
don't let you put off by the scare mongers
we have been towing a 25ft boat 4 seasons from Belgium to Croatia (1500km one way)
and then came our 27ft Karnic with twin diesel engine,
3 seasons to Croatia and to a few other destinations in europe ao Schotland, Cornwall, south France

tow car was first Merc ML and later GL

can't give any comment on engine choice,
Karnic has twin VP D3, but as far as I know D4 is a better engine,

VP spare parts are expensive, but service with experience is well available,
I just don't know about Yanmar in UK, could well be the same.

Last edited: