Mobile broadband for BC

Coaster

Visit site
I have a Lenovo (i.e. IBM) Thinkpad laptop with an integral SIM card, which is solely used for mobile internet access, on the Vodafone network. In Milford Haven Marina the 3G signal gives a quicker internet connection than I get at home. Admittedly, the home connection is rather slow, at about 0.5 Mbps.

Away from Milford Marina the connection varies quite considerably. For example at Tenby there's a good signal but none is available a few miles west. As far as I can recall the signal at Lundy, in the usual anchorage, was adequate.

The internet connection is mainly used for weather forecasts (especially Passage Weather), emails, news and, of course, browsing the YBW forums.

Visit site
Tried 3.com and the coverage is patchy - good in cardiff, useless in watchet for example. But then I find my mobile phone on T mobile no better nor my wife's on voda.

I dont think there is one network that works everywhere.

Allan

Visit site
My Virgin (T Mobile) phone and Orange dongle work well in most places in the Channel. Watchet is pretty much a no phone or internet place for me. Watermouth can be a problem in places at low tide. I read somewhere recently that there is almost no work being done on expanding networks, so any blindspots will remain. The only exception to this will be links between companies, like the one between Orange and T Mobile.
Allan

Who

Visit site
I use an iPad with 2 sim cards in case I can't get a connection. (I need a connection at all times)

Watchet is the most problematic area. If the tide is out you won't get much of a signal without going above the harbour walls.

Orange card is slightly better at Watchet. Although not much in it.
Vodaphone is better in most other places.
O2 on the iPhone works ok just about anywhere.

Morpheous

Visit site
Similar experience here, there further SW you go the more you need to be on Orange, on the north cornish coast I could only get a signal on Orange. Further up orangeand 02 seem pretty good. I have recently changed to Vodafone on the iPhone and that is OK but quite as good. T-Mobile and 3 seem to be lagging behind a bit

steverow

Visit site
BC Mobile Broadband coverage.

The Best bet for the Bristol Channel is to use Orange as the primary 2100MHz 3.75G provider, this also now gives you access to T_mobile as well as the two companies are currently merging their networks forming a new company called Everything Everywhere.
For a secondary carrier then my choice would be Vodafone for it's longe range 900MHz network, slow, but emails, grib files, and text weather are do-able even on a 56kbps network.
A lot of Voda around that area (Wenvoe fi) is EDGE on 1800MHz at about 180kbps and should go a fair distance. The secret to all offshore cruising is to use more than one carrier, and with data now so cheap..it's very doable.

Cheers

Steve.

Marine Mobile Systems