MOB recovery ladders deployed from the water: do they work?

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Last edited:

William_H

Visit site
On my little boat I made up a ladder system on the transom. Starting with a plastic step/handle screwed to the transom just above the water line. Under the bolts I fitted a plate each side which enabled me to fit a rung of ss rod that swings down or up for storage. Onto the rung of that rod I fitted more ss plates to support another rod down to rung. So the bottom step folds up onto upper rod step which in turn folds up to a clip on the top of the transom. Now this arrangement does not extend very far below the water however by having stern rail with a gap above the ladder I can use arms to pull myself up onto bottom step. Fits neatly against transom and can be released from the water.
So I have frequently in the past, swam to the boat on mooring and pulled my self on board. (old age seems to have made it a bit difficult now) I reckon (hope) a bit of adrenaline and I could still do it. Certainly with help from above or below.
However whatever any boaty fits it is essential to use it occasionally to ensure it is fit for purpose. Hand holds above the ladder to a good height are essential. ol'will

Refueler

Visit site
Practically, that isn't enough. In the water your feet will be five feet/60 inches below the surface. Lifting a foot 40 inches to the lowest rung, then starting to climb from that position isn't going to happen, is it?

Correct.

I have a Lazilas 5 rung ladder that hooks over toerail ..... that was not enough to get back on board. Once that numbness starts even if bottom rung is level with your feet in the water - you are already on a losing wicket.

lustyd

Visit site
I have my steel ladder set up to quick release from the water. Cord from the bottom rung goes through a loop and down to swim platform where it can be released.
For Dabchick, assuming you’ve not changed boats, you’d want something midships. A fender step would be sufficient in a real emergency when motivated, or a rope ladder rolled and ready to drop with a line over the side to pull.
Think we saw you leaving Chi harbour on Saturday, the water wasn’t too arctic when I jumped off the dinghy 😂

chubby

www.flickr.com
I have my steel ladder set up to quick release from the water. Cord from the bottom rung goes through a loop and down to swim platform where it can be released.
For Dabchick, assuming you’ve not changed boats, you’d want something midships. A fender step would be sufficient in a real emergency when motivated, or a rope ladder rolled and ready to drop with a line over the side to pull.
Think we saw you leaving Chi harbour on Saturday, the water wasn’t too arctic when I jumped off the dinghy 😂
Thanks and yes I still have Dabchick and I was leaving Chichester on Saturday, She has a counter stern so not easy to fit a stern ladder. The freeboard amidships is low and a rolled up ladder there might help the motivated. I have a long stainless ladder that clips on the side for swimming and getting from the tender but otherwise if you fall in in harbour there is no means of getting back aboard if solo. I think if you fall in out at sea it is a totally different matter.

DownWest

Visit site
Made a couple of folding ones for others, around here there is a requirement to have a water deployable ladder if your freeboard exceeds X. Mine does, so making another of stainless 19mm tube with the folding part going 60cm underwater.

fredrussell

Visit site
Poor or non-existant ladders are a pet peeve of mine.
Likewise. I once had to get my mate out of the water using my ladder (boats rafted up, his had no ladder). My ladder extended about 40cm below water. He couldn’t get up. He was in his 40s, a tad overweight but not excessively so, and what most would describe as fit and healthy. In the end I had to get a strop round his torso and winch him up on main halyard. I extended my ladder a day or two after this, he added a decent one to his boat.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
As Ladyinbed says, I also have a clip on the ladder - after I fell in when getting into my dinghy(on a swinging mooring) , the lifejacket inflated and was impossible to get in the dinghy, couldn't get in over the transom as the outboard was in the way, worked my way to the boarding ladder and it was very difficult to reach the catch. Eventually managed it and climbed aboard. Fortunately it was calm, sunny & the water was warm.
The first thing I did over winter was fit a cord to the catch, led through an eye on the stanchion post to just above the waterline with an orange Tee handle. The ladder would then be easy to swing down. I also tightened the hinge bolts to create friction to avoid the ladder falling your head. The ladder extends 3 rungs below the surface. We also checked a friends boat which had a hinged telescopic ladder. At the hinge point there were plastic 'stops' which degraded making the ladder tuck under the stern making it difficult to climb aboard - and this was ashore!