Mmsi

Kevin sea gypsy

Visit site
Ofcom website for acquiring an MMSI number seems impossible to use. My last yacht I had no problems, but now I'm considering not bothering with a MMSI number at all. Certainly not from choice, but from necessity as the site seems impossible to navigate. Is it only me who's having this problem? Lots of sites offering MMSI if yoo want to pay $200.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Ofcom website for acquiring an MMSI number seems impossible to use. My last yacht I had no problems, but now I'm considering not bothering with a MMSI number at all. Certainly not from choice, but from necessity as the site seems impossible to navigate. Is it only me who's having this problem? Lots of sites offering MMSI if yoo want to pay $200.
Your MMSi has to be issued by your Flag State so that is is correct and authentic. If you apply to Offcom for a radio licen ce for your boat then once you have given them the details your licence will show your MMSI.

If you telephone them they will talk you through the process as they usually set up the login details for you. Others will jump in and correct this if it has changed

See below for contact details.

Contacting Ofcom

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Lots of sites offering MMSI if yoo want to pay $200.
It may be part of the problem.
A number of boats are migrating from Belgium to Slovenian or Polish flags (for various reasons), there are internet agencies offering to handle all the formalities for a fee, which of course is ok.
But, often the same agencies offer "radio licence and MMSI in 24/48 hours, 200 euro", which factually is (or was until very recently, maybe things have changed) impossible to achieve with Poland and Slovenia: guess what, they all get a UK MMSI and radio licence (which of course is illegal for other Nations' flags) those agencies can obtain for free with a few clicks from Ofcom web site.
Same happened during the Dutch "ICP" period, Dutch radio licences/mmsi were issued under the name of the agency and not the boat owner, say you sink and MRCC call the agency during Sundays or night hours...
If Ofcom could check the eligibility to a UK licence of their applicants and licensees, can't think the number of licences/mmsi which would be revoked. Actually, they seem to be short of MMSI numbers... :)

Kevin sea gypsy

Visit site
Your MMSi has to be issued by your Flag State so that is is correct and authentic. If you apply to Offcom for a radio licen ce for your boat then once you have given them the details your licence will show your MMSI.

If you telephone them they will talk you through the process as they usually set up the login details for you. Others will jump in and correct this if it has changed

See below for contact details.

Contacting Ofcom
Thanks for your assistance, I'll try contacting ofcom but not holding my breath. The "assist" site doesn't exist so will try again.

Daverw

Visit site
Ofcom are usually very good at dealing with telephone enquiries. You just need to make sure it’s actually within their scope though

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
I'd not bother and try it again in a month or so. No-one will ask for it.

Don't program a random number into your radio though, it might be one time programmable.

ylop

Visit site
I'd not bother and try it again in a month or so. No-one will ask for it.

Don't program a random number into your radio though, it might be one time programmable.
But most (all?) DSC radios will not be able to send DSC distress calls without an MMSI programmed so its not exactly a good idea to just not bother.

I've not had to do it for years but a friend recently did, and whilst he's certainly not stupid he is completely new to boats and VHF and had no issues. Are you trying to do something unusual?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Well today I tried to call ofcom on 020779017295 & it appears no such number, deactivate. Same as the "help" on there website. Guess I'll have to use the radio without an MMSI number.

I set up new licence for my "new to me" boat a couple of weeks ago, no issues.

Just logged in and went through my licenses, no issues. Live chat is working.

Contact numbers are here: Contacting Ofcom

Spectrum licensing are : 0300 123 1000 or 020 7981 3131

What issues are you having, exactly ?

Are you using this address: Ofcom Amateur and Ships Radio Licensing Portal

steve62

Visit site
I have to agree with PaulRainbow. I have just applied for a new licence for my new to me boat and it took about 10 minutes online.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Well today I tried to call ofcom on 020779017295 & it appears no such number, deactivate. Same as the "help" on there website. Guess I'll have to use the radio without an MMSI number.

020779017295 should be 02079017295
Looks like you tried to call Ofgem. You need Ofcom using the numbers given by others IE 020 7981 3131 as indicated by Paul.