Mizzen sails

Monique

Visit site
Hello Brethren,

We deployed our mizzen for the first time 4 days ago. New sail from a now defunct sailmaker ( Russo)

I am very surprised by the cut. Concave at the head and convex at the foot. How should it look?

Thanks as always

Colvic Watson

Visit site
The mizzen - principle function is to make the boat look 35% better looking; somewhere to mount the reflector; provide handholds when going aft; hoist up the outboard; and give the kids a sail of their own to play with :D

graham

Visit site
On a sloop with a keel in the departure lounge and an anchor in the fracture clinic ,its not something to worry about just now.

Seriously though a fairly flat sail will allow it to be used as a steadying sail at anchor or motoring.

Last edited:

Serin

Visit site
The mizzen - principle function is to make the boat look 35% better looking; somewhere to mount the reflector; provide handholds when going aft; hoist up the outboard; and give the kids a sail of their own to play with :D

Not to speak of adding a lot of drive on any kind of reach, balancing the steering, forming part of a lovely, relaxing, versatile rig for stronger breezes, making possible a powerful mizzen staysail, holding the boat head to wind, acting as a riding sail, allowing the boat to heave to and stay that way while the mainsail is reefed or dropped, counteracting bow windage and contributing quick turns to windward in tight situations........................

I wouldn't be without mine, which is, as keen Ed suggests, cut pretty much like the mainsail, but a little flatter.

Monique

Visit site
For anyone interested, we now have an Amel Super Maramu. Our mizzen looks so weird....

It has a downwind curve at its top third but has an upwind curve near the foot. Puzzled...