Missing yachtswoman in South west.

lustyd

Visit site
I thought when someone disappeared without a body, you couldn't treat them as dead for legal purposes for something like seven years. If so, things won't be proceeding in the way they do when someone snuffs it on land.

Pete

Thanks, didn't realise it was that long. I'd have thought 6 months would be sufficient, and then keep a watchful eye on the insurance money.

Wandering Star

Visit site
I thought when someone disappeared without a body, you couldn't treat them as dead for legal purposes for something like seven years. If so, things won't be proceeding in the way they do when someone snuffs it on land.

Pete
Whaaat!!! Does this mean I've got to carry on with the awful smell seeping up from beneath the floorboards not to mention cooking my own meals and doing my own ironing and housework, for another 6 years? We should have the law changed.

Cheers, Brian.

prv

Visit site
Thanks, didn't realise it was that long. I'd have thought 6 months would be sufficient, and then keep a watchful eye on the insurance money.

I've heard it suggested as a reason for singlehanders to wear lifejackets :). If you fall off you're still gonna die, but the jacket means your body may be found and your missus can claim the life assurance without delay...

Pete

lustyd

Visit site
I've heard it suggested as a reason for singlehanders to wear lifejackets :). If you fall off you're still gonna die, but the jacket means your body may be found and your missus can claim the life assurance without delay...

Pete

Sweet, who's going to provide me with a SWMBO to claim the money? Not that I plan to fall in, but it's good to be prepared and I already have the LJ :)

Capt Popeye

Visit site
What's strange about it? Most of my departures have no "witnesses". I just go down to the boat, cast off, and leave. Sometimes I pass someone on the pontoon and say hello, sometimes the rowers go past me as I'm coming out into the river, but quite often neither of those.

Pete

Agreed that in country districts one might just be forgiven for thinking that you are 'unseen', but from my life experience, both in country and sea environments, its rarely that someone gets by without being noticed by a local.
Often other boats have someone aboard them, in a cabin etc, and like all 'good seamen' nothing goes unnoticed.
Or rarely does, anyway. Birds being 'put up' or changing their song, a pontoon moving, wash, all means something to 'country folk', 'longshore men', 'fishermen' and 'seamen' alike.

But, if not wanting to be seen by anyone, perhaps, tis unusuall in its self??

sailorman

Visit site
How do you look in a bikini?

I will PM you
photo_zps624bf4a7.jpg

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
Correct. We have a Swiss friend who lost her husband in the Tsunami while holidaying in Thailand - no body found. She was in dire financial straights as all bank accounts were in the husband's name and she would have to wait for many years for access and life insurance. For the many Swiss in that situation the government made a special case by certifying all such cases as officially deceased immediately.

As I sail mostly single-handed all my assets are jointly owned by my wife for exactly this reason.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Correct. We have a Swiss friend who lost her husband in the Tsunami while holidaying in Thailand - no body found. She was in dire financial straights as all bank accounts were in the husband's name and she would have to wait for many years for access and life insurance. For the many Swiss in that situation the government made a special case by certifying all such cases as officially deceased immediately.

As I sail mostly single-handed all my assets are jointly owned by my wife for exactly this reason.

I believe it is much the same in the UK, but if you can present evidence that someone is dead (balance of probabilities as it is a civil matter) to a court, a court can declare them dead. I suspect that this is the situation here - a body is unlikely to be found, but evidence from the wreck (including it's condition) could be used to make a case in court. Mind, I'd have thought the wreckage already recovered - which included substantial pieces of internal woodwork - was pretty good evidence that the yacht broke up to an extent not likely to be surviveable. Maybe they need evidence that she was actually aboard - though what kind of evidence they'd expect to find is not clear to me; perhaps personal possessions?

Clarky

Visit site

I sail with my wife and to ensure I don't fall in all my assets are in my name solely.