cliffdale

Visit site
This was posted in an earlier thread. Saturday 13 Oct at 9.30pm

landsend_zps85bd1b85.jpg

Plenty of ships to collide with.

lustyd

Visit site
the obvious things like up to date charts

Is this obvious? There are only two places I've seen "up to date charts". One is a chandlery and the other is in forum posts mostly written by people who have not updated their charts since they bought them (maybe you do, no offence intended). Come to think of it, the chandlery don't have up to date ones either, so this being obvious baffles me.

The cornish coast is made of granite, I've fallen on it plenty of times and can tell you that even if your chart was created in 1930 and never updated, the rocks will not have drifted or eroded all that much. The lights may have moved but these are available as a separate list anyway.

Appologies for thread drift, I agree charts are wise but can we please not pretend that we all spend hours updating them?

lustyd

Visit site

landsend_zps85bd1b85.jpg

I count 18 in the 100 square miles around Lands End. That's not plenty, and they would be headed for the TSS anyway which can be clearly seen in this picture. If you look closely you can see the imaginary "motorway"

A1Sailor

Visit site

landsend_zps85bd1b85.jpg

Cliffdale,
Why did you include such a daft image in your post? The one you used, imho, covers such a large area in such a small scale that it is irrelevant.
Might it not have been more informative to have used these?

AIS.jpg

AIS2.jpg

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
The accident causing syndrome isn't because the plan starts out being rigid, but because our psychology tends to become goal-oriented, so that a plan beomes THE PLAN. Once we have a goal, it is quite difficult to decide to abandon that goal, even if that would make sense!

You know the management at my workplace, then? :rolleyes: Or were you talking about the Government?;)

Seriously, though, is there a nice jargon name for this syndrome?

Grunter

Visit site
So the latest news is that the boat was not surveyed therefore unlikely to be insured and that she tried to employ a delivery skipper at the last minute. All very sad:(

It says that she left before a survey was carried out. Is it a requirement to have a new survey before getting insurance or will a current 'in-date' survey do?

lustyd

Visit site
It says that she left before a survey was carried out. Is it a requirement to have a new survey before getting insurance or will a current 'in-date' survey do?

It isn't a requirement to have insurance so the point is moot.

I believe, to answer the question, that it depends on which insurer you pick. The online one I had a quote from didn't even want a survey.

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
It isn't a requirement to have insurance so the point is moot.

I believe, to answer the question, that it depends on which insurer you pick. The online one I had a quote from didn't even want a survey.

Both the above points are correct, in my experience.
However, for my OWN peace of mind I would still have survey done regularly (interval to suit myself). I'm not a marine engineer and I can easily miss/be ignorant of perhaps important problems.

Robert Wilson

Visit site
Anybody see Timothy Spall rounding The Lizard and Land's End (TV lat night)?
Sensible approach, considerable "PLAN" and great awareness of potential dangers. Well done for doing it the correct way.
Mind you, I wouldn't like to be in that sort of boat in much of a sea. Rounding Rattray Head (NE Scotland) in last year's programme made it look a tad unsuitable for risk-taking.

Wandering Star

Visit site
Anybody see Timothy Spall rounding The Lizard and Land's End (TV lat night)?
Sensible approach, considerable "PLAN" and great awareness of potential dangers. Well done for doing it the correct way.
Mind you, I wouldn't like to be in that sort of boat in much of a sea. Rounding Rattray Head (NE Scotland) in last year's programme made it look a tad unsuitable for risk-taking.

I didn't see the program but from your post it would appear you think the skipper had a sensible passage plan but in your opinion, an unsuitable boat for the particular passage? In your opinion then, which would be more important - to have a perfectly written passage plan or a seaworthy boat?

Cheers, Brian.

Robert Wilson

Visit site
I didn't see the program but from your post it would appear you think the skipper had a sensible passage plan but in your opinion, an unsuitable boat for the particular passage? In your opinion then, which would be more important - to have a perfectly written passage plan or a seaworthy boat?

Cheers, Brian.

Thanks Brian,
Ah. WELL yes.! It's still early in the morning, thank you for that wise observation.

I shall try and answer sensibly (but shall probably fail!)
IF I was going to sea in that type of boat, I think I'd attract some negative comments. But apparently The Princess Matilda (a barge) had made regular sea trips during the war, up the west coast of England and Wales. But don't hold me to exact time.
So perhaps his choice of boat wasn't as silly as I might have implied in my earlier thread (viz Rattray Head).
So, assuming his barge was SAFE to undertake the transit of Lizard/Land's End then he did a good job of planning/assessing/keeping a good awareness of potential problems developing whilst on the way.
By the way, I think a TV crew were in a helicopter much of the time watching over them !!!!

Have I managed to squirm "out fom under" with that?

Robert

jimi

Visit site
Having been nearly squashed by the Princess Matilda in the Helford a couple of years ago when she picked up the next buoy whilst waiting for the tide to get up to Gweek to overwinter, I can confirm she is not a unsubstantial craft! She's more like a small coaster than a river barge.

With regard to passage plan, I would'nt overcomplicate it cos with Lands end if you go outside Longships by a mile or so then its fairly simple. Spall was making TV for entertinment not instruction.

And I really don't understand all this about the inshore route being significantly shorter, according to my plotter, from the Runnel stone to the same point off Cape Cornwall the inshore route is only 0.8NM shorter than going outside Longships with a reasonable offing.

fisherman

Visit site
according to my plotter, from the Runnel stone to the same point off Cape Cornwall the inshore route is only 0.8NM shorter than going outside Longships with a reasonable offing.

If you go inside the stone its considerably shorter: keep the old CG lookout windows just in view.

Robert Wilson

Visit site
Steel barges / Princess Matilda.

Many thanks for that. Very interseting AND most appealing.
Did I read your narrative correctly that you built Princess Matilda for Tim and Shane? I thought I heard in the series when they went "up Wales and across to Ireland" that the boat had done wartime transportation up the west coast.
Please correct me if I'm wrong (has been KNOWN :D)

bigwow

Visit site
Many thanks for that. Very interseting AND most appealing.
Did I read your narrative correctly that you built Princess Matilda for Tim and Shane? I thought I heard in the series when they went "up Wales and across to Ireland" that the boat had done wartime transportation up the west coast.
Please correct me if I'm wrong (has been KNOWN :D)

I didn't build it, I just pointed you in the direction of the people who did. :)