Missing Yacht update

ajc

Visit site
Some of you, with distant memory recall, may remember my yacht "Hilary Joyce" which went missing in November, was found sitting on the bottom by Hants Marine Police in December. Well at last she was raised by those very nice divers at Seatech on Tuesday and towed around to Port Solent. I wont go into all the detail but it took till Friday before she was finally craned ashore, around 1600 hrs.

Now the interesting thing is, 1st report from the divers whilst towing her was " she has lost all her guard wires & stanchions". 2nd interesting point, when pumped out she floated with no trace of any leaks. She went down in Portsmouth harbour in 4 to 8 metres of water ( depending on state of tide ) into very soft mud. Again divers report she was gently listing to Stbd with keel well into silt. Pushpit is completely missing, Pulpit was caught up in airvent hole on coachroof. Both airvents were blown out and missing + front hatch blown open.

Any one experienced or heard of anything like this before. Apart from the guardwires she is unmarked!

Only solution I can come up with is that something quite powerful, tangled with guardwires and dragged her down??

Any comments, possible causes?

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Is is possible that the stanchions etc were lost after she sunk.... eg caught on a boat/keel?

Otherwise, most peculiar... and indeed if the hatches are blown open (and with no sign of internal explosion?), then it would imply that water entered very rapidly and under pressure... as you say, looks a lot like she was dragged under....

Eightball

Visit site
hi only time ive ever seen some thing like this was my nmates trawler he hooked up on some thing and was draged down stern first be fore they could do a b thing when we got her up its as you say hutches poped windows out hauling geear bent forward right old mess but got fixed and back to work she went so i recon something very big andpowerfull got hold of yours and pulled her down backwards fast ???? glad you got her back good luck with getting her together again dave

powerskipper

www.facebook.com
and here she is. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hillary_Joyce_001.jpg

Hillary_Joyce_007.jpg

Magic

www.markdalton.co.uk
Looks side on her side, but better moored!

What have the insurers had to say? Any visible evidence of the stanchions being "ripped" out? Presume a survey is being done?