Mirror Offshore: Scrap or Save?

mainsail

Visit site
This is a dilemma which faces many owners of elderly boats - "Scrap or Save?"
My Mirror Offshore Diesel Yacht (well that's the official name although "yacht" is a bit of an overstatement is 33 years old and has a Volvo MD1 diesel which thanks to my stupidity last winter - has a cracked cylinder block which allows the cooling water to escape. The engine - miraculously- still runs but warm seawater was coming from the cracks and filling up the bilge until I used Epoxy Putty as a "temporary" sealant. That seems to have done the trick for now.

But what's your advice?. Should I put a new Yanmar in at a cost of some £3k or scrap the whole boat and start again. The hull, sails and rigging are fine.

So scrap or save? Advice much appreciated.

<hr width=100% size=1>

squidge

Visit site
The Question is how much do you like the boat and how bad is the hull?Isyours marine ply?
The cracked block can be repaired 9 times out of 10 but is that the only fault?If the rest is ok take it out and down to your local engineering shop.Even if they are unable to fix it you may be able to source a block from a scrap yard ?A lot more cost effictive than a new engine.

<hr width=100% size=1>
sail.gif

robp

Visit site
My first boat. "Motor yacht with auxilliary sails"! Very solid... In good condition, with a working engine she's worth what - £2,000? So you won't get the 3K or near, back. If you are happy sailing her, you could fit an outboard bracket on the transom, like some had as standard. Or someone else could, which quite possibly takes her out of the "scrap" category. You'd then have loadsa space below!

I think it would be a shame to scrap her.

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulrossall

Visit site
Someone who refurbishes car engines will be used to welding cylender heads, probably at a cost of less than £100.
Otherwise get a outboard, 6hp evinrude will push boat along OK but a 10hp or max 15hp would go faster.
Probably not worth a new engine as you would never get your money back on resale.

<hr width=100% size=1>

andy_wilson

Visit site
What I would like to know is.....

..how are you going to scrap it then?

You can't find a scrap yard for GRP. If it's ply you apply chainsaw and drop it in a skip bit at a time.

I suspect 'scrap' means sell it on for a song to someone who has the time and inclination to use it / fix it / bodge it and have many a happy hour doing so at your expense.

<hr width=100% size=1>

neil_s

Visit site
I'm sure your cracked cylinder block could be repaired with a little cunning. In the days before thermostats, this used to be a common problem, fixed by rivetting a copper patch over the area.

As others have said, outboard power is also quite satisfactory, and has advantages in that the motor can be taken home and stored indoors for the Winter!

Persevere with your Mirror Offshore!

Neil

<hr width=100% size=1>

Hushinish

Visit site
I've been lent some old PBO's and it's an interesting reflection that the Mirror offshore originally only cost around £1200. Just as house prices have risen, so have boat prices, maybe not as dramatically, but a '68 Mirror offshore could still be a lot of yacht for £3k today? Unlike houses, time is against you, Surveys that a house buyer would take in their stride will condem your Mirror in todays buyers market. Osmosis, Lack of trendy style, old engine etc is the root of your dilema. I'd either take my chance on Ebay with an honest description and a reasonable reserve, or lash together the engine and enjoy cheap motor sailing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Spuddy

Visit site
there,s a mirror offshore in a dilapidated state at Gillingham Marina on the Medway.
The mast is fractured plus other unknowns but the engine is apparently ok apart from a bust mounting. Maybe you could cannibalise. I gather its availaable for just a few hundred subject to bargaining.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Just a thought. It need not be a new Yanmar. I picked up a reconditioned 1GM10 for a thousand pounds and in the last three seasons it has consumed one belt and one impeller.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mainsail

Visit site
Many thanks for your post. Yes an outboard might do the trick on a bracket . I will now try to get by 1954 Seagull LS back in commission!

<hr width=100% size=1>

mainsail

Visit site
Many thanks for your post. Yes an outboard might do the trick on a bracket . I will now try to get by 1954 Seagull LS back in commission!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Canboria

Visit site
Saw it on Saturday, the suggestion was £200, 2 guys had been looking at it earlier on, it is in a bit of a state though. Worth a phone call to see if the engine is ok.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Canboria

Visit site
Gillingham Marina

01634 280022

Web Site <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.gillingham-marina.co.uk/>http://www.gillingham-marina.co.uk/</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>

mainsail

Visit site
Yes good thought. A second hand Yanmar - would be ideal if I can get hold of one.
Ta for the tip

<hr width=100% size=1>

mainsail

Visit site
Thanks for your advice Squidge. Will look for someone who can do a bit of remedial work on the block. - but as it is, - hey - , I have hot running water for the first time ever in this boat!

<hr width=100% size=1>

mainsail

Visit site
Re: What I would like to know is.....

Fair point....just how indeed do you scrap a GRP boat. I don't fancy sawing it up and the majority of readers seem to have voted for a repreive so far - never realised to many people are on line reading this BB!

But are GRP boats indestructable? Are they destined, like the Flying Dutchman, to sail on for ever? If so this Mirror is going to outlast me.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mainsail

Visit site
Thanks for your moral support! Readers are voting overwhelmingly against breaking the Mirror - which would probably be unlucky anyway

<hr width=100% size=1>

tr7v8

Visit site
Derek, where is it in the marina, or is it round on the hardstanding?

<hr width=100% size=1>Jim

Draco 2500