Mini-jester

nicholas49

Visit site
Hi, remember talking in Praia about possibility of a shorter Jester trip for 2013.My immediate thought would be Plymouth-Dingle(South-west Ireland, has marina)Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Best Wishes to all, Nick Bridges(Dolphin of Fowey)

PacketRat

Visit site
The Jester Fastnet+
Why not? It would make a good prep trip.
How far is it? My nav gear is all on the boat. Google tells me it's 2,000 kilometers by road there and back via the Holyhead-Dublin ferry. :)
When would you think of going. May?
Robin (Scouse Mouse)

nicholas49

Visit site
mini-jester

Last week-end of May, Bank Holiday Sunday, is traditional I think.Must be about 320 miles Plymouth -Dingle. Spectacular coastal scenery once past Fastnet.Most boats would get past Lizard in the first night, and would then get clear of Land'sEnd/Scilly in daylight. Best Wishes, Nick

c2518

Visit site
If this goes ahead then I would definitely be interested in joining in as it would be the ideal shakedown opportunity for Osprey. ;)

oldbilbo

Visit site
That's an interesting idea.

Having been in to Dingle a couple of times, there's not a lot there I'd choose to go back for. On the other hand, Castletown Bearhaven, or 'Beara', is a rather more attractive destination, and the Kenmare River - arguably the most attractive of Ireland's cruising grounds - is just around the corner. Family could joing quite readily there and enjoy a few days aboard....

PacketRat

Visit site
Ok, Nick, "last week-end of May, Bank Holiday Sunday".

Dingle or Beara?

The added attraction of oldbilbo's suggestion for me, being of a timid disposition, is that I wouldn't be giving a wide berth to that extra bit of unfamiliar jaggedy coastline. I'm not a great one for cutting corners and Beara looks an easier approach.

But I'll go with the flow.

oldbilbo

Visit site
Me, too, also.

But Beara has a MUCH more attractive hostelrie and quayside...

Maccarthysbar.jpg

'McCarthys Bar' is probably one of the best pubs in all Ireland, is less than 100 metres from the quayside, and I nominate this as the 'reporting-in point' and the Official Start of the next leg.

''Participants will, on an agreed signal, finish their drinks and stroll to their boats, whereon they will cast off and make sail at their discretion, and proceed in suitable manner towards the agreed destination." :)

Myk

Visit site
Sounds like an interesting idea, one which I would consider doing. Good shake down run for the boat, (If it's ready then)

Visit site
Proposed Jester Irish trip

First attempt on any forum, so please forgive any etiquette blunders.
Just to say that I would certainly be interested in this trip; so if these things require " critical mass" please add me to the list of possible participants.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Perhaps the East Coast people, rather than haul all the way down to Plymouth to start could do something from the Orwell or the Crouch to Helgoland [I do like duty free ports]. Or maybe round the top of Jutland to somewhere interesting in Denmark or Norway.

OGITD

Visit site
Fantastic idea

Perhaps the East Coast people, rather than haul all the way down to Plymouth to start could do something from the Orwell or the Crouch to Helgoland [I do like duty free ports]. Or maybe round the top of Jutland to somewhere interesting in Denmark or Norway.

So why-not have regional Jesters (Jester challenges).

This would make fantastic events, expand on the principles of Blondie etc and raise the profile of the group whilst making those who can, get out there and do!

And make more of ourselves, our equipment and our sport.

Addendum:
I never get to meet the great people ….. only those who knew them well.

operator6

Visit site
Hi, I'm from the South-East of Ireland, and just finished my first sailing trip to there, and the South-West, singlehanded from Cardiff. Past Fastnet is great water, and great landscape. Roaring Water Bay has great little islands; Dunmanus bay has a couple of places (Kitchen Cove being one of best known), and Dingle Bay has several, especially Glengarriff - this is a nice trip up a 'finger' and beautiful place to stop. On the way back, Dunboy Bay is best (Castletown Bere is locally 'not recommend for leisure craft' [that's the fishing lobby] and Lawrence Cove has a family-run marina - Minane Island as a stopover). The whole idea is great - a single run over (rounding the Fastnet, of course), and drop in at leisure to the many great little bays and marinas on the way back.

PacketRat

Visit site
So far, so good.
Mini Jester Fastnet+, Plymouth to Dingle (or thereabouts).
Do we have Sunday, 26th May, 1300 hrs West of Plymouth breakwater for the start, Nick?
Perhaps the finish line ought to be something like a line SW of Mizen Head, anyway, rather than a harbour. What's the most South Westerly tip of Ireland?
Robin.

LASSALLE

Visit site
Hi, remember talking in Praia about possibility of a shorter Jester trip for 2013.My immediate thought would be Plymouth-Dingle(South-west Ireland, has marina)Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Best Wishes to all, Nick Bridges(Dolphin of Fowey)

Hello!
You think of Dingle harbour ?

JJ

tarik

Visit site
East Coast Jester

I could be interested in such a venture.

David

So why-not have regional Jesters (Jester challenges).

This would make fantastic events, expand on the principles of Blondie etc and raise the profile of the group whilst making those who can, get out there and do!

And make more of ourselves, our equipment and our sport.

Addendum:
I never get to meet the great people ….. only those who knew them well.

Bikesailer

Visit site
With the recommendation that a 500 mile passage is carried out prior to a jester, I think the idea of mini jesters is a great idea and could well meet the requirements for that passage. Could well be up for a mini jester starting on the East Coast next year.

mog

Visit site
Yep sounds like a great idea. Been thi.king about a mini fastnet for a while as a lone sail but the chance to do a mini jeaster event would be too good to miss. If you start and entry list, count me in.
Nick