min number of boats for a race?

wotayottie

Visit site
I would have thought it was two - after all, racing is a competition against other boats so one boat turning up on its own cant be given a score. But I cant find where it says that in a quick read of RRS.

Keen_Ed

Visit site
There's nothing in the RRS specifying a minimum number of boats.

If the OA want a limit, it's one for the SIs.

lw395

Visit site
There's nothing in the RRS specifying a minimum number of boats.

If the OA want a limit, it's one for the SIs.

Possibly should be in the NoR?

Some clubs have a minimum, to prevent one nutter going out on a very windy day more or less forcing everyone else to race for the points.
In my old club I think they had a minimum of three boats signing on and 'coming to the starting area'' for the points to count for the series.
DNF could still be good points.

wotayottie

Visit site
Just wondered because last weekend we had just one IRC boat turn up/ The OD cancelled the race but then found nothing in ISAF or the SI / NoR to say what the minimum was.

Be that as it may, the dictionary definition of a race is a competition between two or more to see whom is the fastest, strongest etc. IMO it simply cannot be called a race with just one competitor any more than if there were no competitors.

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
in the past it was identified in the sailing instructions rather than the isaf rules, along with min max wind speeds etc.
in the Javelin, 505, fd classes it was usually a minimum of 3 boats to constitute a class race.
Two boats was solely for match racing and on the odd occasion a tie breaker.

lpdsn

Visit site
Just wondered because last weekend we had just one IRC boat turn up/ The OD cancelled the race but then found nothing in ISAF or the SI / NoR to say what the minimum was.

Be that as it may, the dictionary definition of a race is a competition between two or more to see whom is the fastest, strongest etc. IMO it simply cannot be called a race with just one competitor any more than if there were no competitors.

If it is a series it's a bit unfair on the boat that did turn up. I'd say they have a case for seeking redress, especially if nothing in the NoR/SI's. In a very small class you could imagine that a boat could tactically not turn up once it had got ahead in a series.

Different if it was a one off race.

scottie

Visit site
If it is a series it's a bit unfair on the boat that did turn up. I'd say they have a case for seeking redress, especially if nothing in the NoR/SI's. In a very small class you could imagine that a boat could tactically not turn up once it had got ahead in a series.

Different if it was a one off race.

The basic rules give different scoring for regatta and series where in a series there is an advantage for turning up we had a series win decided in our favour for good attendance a couple of seasons ago.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
I think the reason there is no minimum is for the official 'point to point speed records'. If you want a crack at the Ambrose Light to the Lizard record, or the Around Britain record, you don't have to wait for another boat to race, you simply race the clock.

Although all the rules concerning boat to boat situations would be irrelevant, all the other stuff still stands.

Keen_Ed

Visit site
Possibly should be in the NoR?

Some clubs have a minimum, to prevent one nutter going out on a very windy day more or less forcing everyone else to race for the points.
In my old club I think they had a minimum of three boats signing on and 'coming to the starting area'' for the points to count for the series.
DNF could still be good points.

I wasn't 100% accurate.
Appendix J 2.2 calls for "(36) the minimum number of boats appearing in the starting area required for a race to be started;" to be part of the SIs, so it's a requirement of the rules. Doesn't stop the OA adding it to the NoR, of course, but IMHO it's best to keep the NoR to the minimum required and reduce the possibility of cock up conflicts between it and the SIs.

RRS 90.2 requires SIs that comply with Appendix J.

Triassic

Visit site

In our club we have a standing rule that racing will not occur if the wind is above a certain limit, so if that were the case there then the one boat that turned up wouldn't be entitled to any redress as there wasn't any racing........ If on the other hand two boats are due to race and only one turns up then providing the race would have occurred if they had (as in the AC recently) then that boat should be allowed (required) to start and then awarded a result at the RO's discretion or made to complete the course. Just because everyone else wimped out shouldn't prevent the experienced or brave (or just plain stupid) from seeking some adventure.......