Mid Atlantic rescue

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
The sick child and scuttling are on a different boat in the Pacific - it was brought into the discussion as an example of what can go wrong. No more information about the Sunda.
Thanks. I'm as baffled as the rest. I once had a customer who was dismasted in ferocious weather, single handed and only one arm. It took him 26 continuous hours to recover his mast, jury rigged, sailed to the Azores for an improvement and then sailed to Fleetwood for a proper repair.

The other end of the spectrum.

GHA

Visit site
More here >
Riječki kapetan spasio četvero jedriličara i psića na olujnom sjevernom Atlantiku / Novi list

The rescue operation took place on January 10, when MV Sunda was informed that an 11.4-meter long boat with four crew members and a small dog was being floated by the French Bulldog due to loss of propulsion and partly rudder. The yacht was carried by strong east winds of strength 6 to 7 and the waves were four meters high.

So mid atlantic, 4m seas , no engine, looks like no steering, and a bulldog, - what would the armchair experts do? :rolleyes:

status

Visit site
I was intrigued to see the inflated dinghies on deck, had they inflated them for fear of sinking or had they never deflated them following departure?

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com

Stemar

Visit site
Relevant in mid ocean?
Do you not realise your boat will sink without the right anchor?

If they were reliant on an electric autopilot, no engine could mean hand steering 24/7. In poor conditions, that could be exhausting for a crew who aren't in the best of health. Pure speculation, of course, and I can already hear the armchair heroes, "Well, they could just heave to when they need a break"

RupertW

Visit site
Do you not realise your boat will sink without the right anchor?

If they were reliant on an electric autopilot, no engine could mean hand steering 24/7. In poor conditions, that could be exhausting for a crew who aren't in the best of health. Pure speculation, of course, and I can already hear the armchair heroes, "Well, they could just heave to when they need a break"
That’s what solar is for - and they have solar. We didn’t put the engine on for 5 days on one leg this Summer from Gib to the Canaries. Fridge, autopilot and lights all fine although after two overcast days and awkward seas we didn’t get the batteries to Float by the evening of the second day (but fully charged by 2pm the next).