Microphone Extension Lead

Stemar

Visit site
I've bought a Standard Horizon Eclipse Series GX1400 VHF for Jazzcat, but the logical place to fit it is out of reach from the helm. Any reason why I couldn't fit an extension lead? Any gotchas to doing this or making one? I'm half competent at soldering, so that side of things shouldn't be a problem.

Ideally, I'd use a better VHF and a remote mike, but the budget doesn't allow, hence the cheapskate option

mikefleetwood

Visit site
I've bought a Standard Horizon Eclipse Series GX1400 VHF for Jazzcat, but the logical place to fit it is out of reach from the helm. Any reason why I couldn't fit an extension lead? Any gotchas to doing this or making one? I'm half competent at soldering, so that side of things shouldn't be a problem.

Ideally, I'd use a better VHF and a remote mike, but the budget doesn't allow, hence the cheapskate option
Simple answer - no problem at all. Although, length and route of the extension might be a factor. If possible use screened cable for the microphone connections - although if the original cable doesn't contain any screened wires, maybe not so important. If the original cable has an overall screen, then ideally use the same. Getting hold of a short length of cable with the correct number of cores and screens will probably be your biggest problem - have you opened up one of the ends to see what it looks like?

William_H

Visit site
I don't know about SH but some VHF sets use a telephone type plug for the mic cable into the circuit board. If you open up the VHF you will see if this is the case. If so it may be possible to buy an extension cord with male and female connectors to extend mic cable. Even if you do that the real problem is getting a good seal on mic cable join with good mechanical strength. I have fiddled with many broken mic cords on VHF sets and repairs are never really successful. I would not want to extend the cable in any way if you could find a better place for the VHF set. ol'will

andsarkit

Visit site
The SH GX1400 doesn't have a connector for the microphone as it is hard wired with stress relieving glands at either end of the cable. You would have to cut the cable and insert an extension using 2 pairs of connectors. There is no going back when you have done this so I would not recommend it.
On radios with a microphone connector you could give it a go and if it doesn't work it is easy to revert to the original arrangement.

Refueler

Visit site

I have similar situation ... I could unplug my Mic and add an extension cable ..... they are available from CB radios and others ... but TBH - I decided to just have an extension speaker I can plug in and then for TX - use a Handheld.
Initially I thought HH on its own ... but then I found battery was running down ... so went for listening to extension speaker with HH switched off. If some one called me or I needed to reply - switch on HH and establish comms. That way HH battery was always good. The extension speaker is a waterproof job specifically for outdoor use and of correct spec for VHF and other use.

Stemar

Visit site
The SH GX1400 doesn't have a connector for the microphone as it is hard wired with stress relieving glands at either end of the cable. You would have to cut the cable and insert an extension using 2 pairs of connectors.
OK, another good idea bites the dust - I'm not brave enough to invalidate the warranty by cutting the wire!

I'll have to have a play when I get it to find a suitable place to fit it. The ideal would be on the companionway hatch, but it would be a faff to remove it every time we leave the boat.