Micro sd extender ?

Cathy*

Visit site
We have a Raymarine Axiom + which has a micro sd slot in the back in a really difficult place to access. We could buy a Raymarine card reader for £100 ish and find somewhere to put that or someone has suggested using a micro sd extender. I thought that sounded a good idea, particularly as some have male micro sd to a female sd so it would be less fiddly, until I started to look for one and they're not as simple as I thought. Most seem to specify they are for mobile phones and obviously none say "This is for a chart plotter" :)

Has anyone used one of these?

lustyd

Visit site
An extender just connects the pins so no reason it wouldn't be compatible. Whether there's a volt drop on the cable is another matter which may affect it if Raymarine did anything funky. It's also unlikely to be waterproof in any way, and will probably prevent any waterproof doors closing.

Cathy*

Visit site
An extender just connects the pins so no reason it wouldn't be compatible. Whether there's a volt drop on the cable is another matter which may affect it if Raymarine did anything funky. It's also unlikely to be waterproof in any way, and will probably prevent any waterproof doors closing.
It doesn't need to be waterproof it's inside the boat high up behind the dash and really tricky to reach with such a small card. It's the voltage drop I started to read about. For a fiver it's probably worth a shot.

Cathy*

Visit site
Would the voltage drop be more over a longer cable? They range from 10cm to 60.

lustyd

Visit site
Would the voltage drop be more over a longer cable? They range from 10cm to 60.
Yes the length of the cable and guage of the wire will be the factors. Cheap thin cables likely to affect this more. I doubt this will be an issue, but worth a mention.

I would say try it, it's likely to just work and very unlikely to do harm. FYI MicroSD is Transflash so you may find some extenders labelled as transflash.