MF 625 2nd Battery

alanlib

Visit site
Hi
I'm about to fit a 2nd battery to my MF 625 and am asking for info from anyone who already has one fitted to their MF 625.

I'm trying to work out where to fit it. The existing battery is fitted to a small shelf that is built into the moulding near the fuel tank, but this shelf isn't big enough for two batteries.

If there is such a thing as a double battery box then this may be the answer but I cant find one, alternatively any info where others are fitted would be very useful.

Thanks Alan

Firefly625

Visit site
Hi Alanlib,

I had a 625 and fitted a second battery, I just used a heavy duty standard size 12v battery in a battery box as a backup, I made up a small shelf in marine ply with angled base so the battery sits horizontal which sat either in front or just down from the main battery..... sorry, I can't quite believe I cant picture what it looked like! But that shelf I attached to another ply shelf I made which my little honda 2hp engine mounted to.·... I should have taken a picture as I remember it was a thing of beauty:rolleyes:

alanlib

Visit site
Indeed I actually screwed the base of the battery box to the ply shelf, then had the lid strapped down with the usual canvas strap provided with the battery box, otherwise I find the battery box can move around too much

Thanks for the reply Firefly, did you extend the new ply shelf under the existing battery as well, as this would stop new shelf moving around and keep the two batteries at the same height.

Alan

Firefly625

Visit site
Thanks for the reply Firefly, did you extend the new ply shelf under the existing battery as well, as this would stop new shelf moving around and keep the two batteries at the same height.

Alan

Alan

I wish I could recall the space better, but the answer to your question is no, and I vaguely recall it was because I didn't have much hight above the battery box at one end so didn't want to make the situation worse... does that make sense?

alanlib

Visit site
Alan

I wish I could recall the space better, but the answer to your question is no, and I vaguely recall it was because I didn't have much hight above the battery box at one end so didn't want to make the situation worse... does that make sense?

Yes it does Firefly, thinking about it now there is no room to get the lid off the battery box, you have to slide it out, so it makes sense not to make it any higher. Thanks for the info, I broadly know what you did so I will take another look & make something suitable

Alan

Firefly625

Visit site
Yes it does Firefly, thinking about it now there is no room to get the lid off the battery box, you have to slide it out, so it makes sense not to make it any higher. Thanks for the info, I broadly know what you did so I will take another look & make something suitable

Alan

excellent, glade I remembered something that made sense!! :D

James