Messolonghi Marina

charles_reed

Visit site
Thanks Charles, sounds OK to me. If the bikes are marginal, how does one get in and out of town, taxis?
The F16 is more my thing to play on!

Some walk, but then they probably don't have arthritis, most have bikes.

If you go out for a meal, getting back is a taxi ride for, I believe, €3.

Actually it's a Thunderbolt and there's a Sabre there as well. Nothing newer than the late '60s, but still great - grandsons will love that and the Kalamata rail-train playground !!

Ariadne

The Mrs kids and boat are in Grenada. Me? I'm in S
blog.mailasail.com
If you had actually had a look around Messolonghi, you would have found there is a Lidl, Dia, Carrefour, and a beer/wine/spirits supplier(who delivers to the marina) and a cash & carry warehouse all about 5 or 10 mins bike ride out of town! Most of did that ride a few times a week.

Some people commenting on Messolonghi really don't have a clue what they are talking about, do they, and I suspect they haven't actually spent any time either!!

charles_reed

Visit site
I think the comment is touché, not "Got you, you bastid".

Yes I found the Lidl, when I went to get diesel from the filling station beyond the gate - but it wasn't open on Sunday and most of the ones in other towns are.

I've found Atlantik the most competitive Greek supermarkets - so what to Carréfour and Dia?

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
That appears to be a Northrop F5 in the picture, which makes sense as the Hellenic AF had some a while back. No idea what the others are. Don't know about Thunderbolts but they had F16's and F104's as well so I wouldn't be surprised to find them there.

Marsupial

Visit site
life at Messy

Have found Messy to be an ok place. Town is within walking distance, although a motor bike would be great. The natives are friendly and are very helpful. A smattering of Greek would be useful...Amazon will be doing well! Town is typically Greek, so no rip off tourism. Glad we came! Have a years contract and may go and negotiate a longer one.

gavin_lacey

Visit site
Been here 2 days. Staying for a year. Friendly liveaboards. Walked into town each day, not really a problem but obviously quicker by bike. 30min walk with wife with dodgy knee. Town is far nicer and larger than I had been led to believe. Stays open and lively all year apparently because of local university campuses. modified cradles look reasonableish. Showers, loos etc brand new, spacious, very luxurious comared with last winter in marina del sole, sardinia. Building work continues both on land and adding pontoons. I think that those who were discontented have left. Those who remain and are renewing contracts are obviously the contented. Pontoons stable and secure. Well under half the price of other marinas. Looks good so far.

selkiedancer

www.selkiedancer.com
We are looking for somewhere to leave the boat in the water this winter. Messolonghi seems to fit the bill - if patient. We would need to come out in the spring for anti fouling, sea cocks, anodes etc. Can we do the work ourselves or must we employ yard workers? Sorry if the answer lies in the elsewhere the thread. Andy

selkiedancer

www.selkiedancer.com
Messolonghi - self help in yard

We are looking for somewhere to leave the boat in the water this winter. Messolonghi seems to fit the bill - if patient. We would need to come out in the spring for anti fouling, sea cocks, anodes etc. Can we do the work ourselves or must we employ yard workers? Sorry if the answer lies elsewhere in the thread. Andy

Sybaris

www.kjellqvist.ch
We spent the winter in Messolonghi (in the marina under construction) and enjoyed it very much.

First a few personal reflections about Messolonghi in general:
I found the distance to town just perfect, when spending the winter somewhere it is great to get a bit of light exercise and as said above it is not really a long walk. The town itself suited us like a glove. Just the right size; very nice people, not geared for tourism, very “alive” as it is a student town, and lots of local festivals and happenings which were all very easy to partake in. The chandlery right next to the church in town is a goldmine for stocking up on stainless steel supplies. He has virtually any screw, bolt, fitting you could think of and is very knowledgeable. I now hit myself for not having stocked up some more. The upholstery guy close to the “gate” is fantastic. We had our cockpit cushions re-upholstered with Sunbrella and outer terry towel covers. He did an amazing job. Just “hanging out” in town for a coffee, beer and free tapas, market day, etc. is a pleasure.

Now some comments about the marina under construction:
The marina is progressing quite well albeit with a few delays, but nothing worst than the norm (if there is such a thing). The setting is great as it is very sheltered and spacious as well as scenic. I really wish all the best for the marina’s future and am sure it will be a success. There were some issues during the winter of different nature for each one involved, all valid, and most of them now having been resolved in one way or another. There are however a few points I would like to make that have not been resolved and which are meant as feedback for Yiannis and Jo.

The main current issue is that Yiannis is running 99% of the show. This is far too much for one person to handle and will invariably lead to corners being cut here and there, and at times hot (very hot) tempers. It is a common problem in smaller businesses and start-ups, and my assessment is that it is VITAL for Yiannis to start to delegate and hire good staff. I cannot understand why Jo doesn’t play a more active role in the daily business when he is on site, and Mata in reception (although being a very nice and friendly person) should either be properly trained or replaced with someone who can run the office.

The second issue is their take on security regarding mooring, craning, and cradling. I have thought about this since leaving the marina a few weeks ago and I think it is due to lack of experience and not wanting (or knowing how) to admit this. They might realize this, but sure don’t show it to anyone who makes a comment or points out a security issue that needs to be monitored. The cradles are said to be “heavy duty”, and yes the frames are certainly over-dimensioned, but a structural unit is only as good as its weakest part. Please Jo and Yiannis – make a structural calculation – the fact that no major (some boats got damaged hitting the frames) incident happened this winter does not prove anything. When I pointed out that our forward portside support did not have an outward pointing bracket (see photo) I was answered with contempt and scorn. Yiannis didn’t want to discuss and Jo told me that all force is on the keel and that a person can hold the side forces easily by hand, and that the two front supports are not even needed. He also said that the cut steel rods from the construction site are stronger in the construction than proper hardened bolts. I also got shouted at when I asked for better wood to be placed under the keel as the existing scrap pine block cracked several times.

Jo wrote on YBW in January this year:

Yiannes and I are open for all suggestions and remarks, and within our means we will handle them.

Jo, I actually believe you are frank when saying so, BUT please show this to whomever makes comments, suggestions, or point out when something is wrong. Instead we are often met with a blank stare, scorn, or in worst case (with Yiannis) verbal abuse and lies. This is completely unnecessary defensive behaviour, which as I said earlier must be at least in part due to the workload in the case of Yiannis.

To summarize, I really enjoyed my time in Messolonghi, I think the marina will be great (much of it already is), I sincerely wish all the best for Jo and Yiannis although they need to become better at their customer interaction, and I can highly recommend both a shorter visit or longer stay to anyone who is thinking about checking it out.

Per Kjellqvist

chrisgee

Visit site
Have to agree with 99% of your comments. Yiannes is fine when you get him to realise that as a customer you a) are not going to give up and b) get him to accept that the sooner what has been promised gets done life for him will get easier.
It`s just not in their make up, but hey, quite often it`s not life or death and I`m sure they will get there in the end.
A good experienced boatman with people skills is what`s needed and would make all the difference.
Hang on I could do that !!!!!
Will for sure be taking the boat out once again @ Messologgi next winter.