Mercruiser 5.7 Replacement

Broombroomput

Visit site
It looks like the slow seize on my 188 HP Mercruiser is terminal :-( As I am on (very) limited funds can anyone suggest an economic way to get it back on the water. I've been quoted 6K ish, which is out of the question at the moment. Should I go for a second hand/Recon, go Rover powered or just save up? What are peoples experiences?

<hr width=100% size=1>

martinb

Visit site
Find out what motor it is based on and get yourself an engine and marinise it. About 10 years ago I helped a friend who was in the same position as you with a Chricraft engine that had expired. We bought a secondhand Chevy 350CI (5.7l) V8 from a guy in London that imported them, sold as seen for £300. Then spent about £200 on highlift cam, new big end and main bearing shells and bolted on all the ancillarys and marinising bits. Boat served well for another 3 years before he got rid of it but is probably still going strong.

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

BarryH

Visit site
Give Real Steel in uxbridge a call, You'll pick up an exchange recon short block. You'll just need to do a bit of spanner work in your spare time. Failing that Strip it get it rebored and the crank ground.

Why is it siezing slowly??

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

Solitaire

Visit site
Try Keyparts. 01923 221490 - explain what engine you have. They supply recon engines with a warranty. A 5 litre V8 is about £1900 + VAT. Yu just have to take off your carb, alternator and other bits from your existing engine and bolt them onto the "new" one.

<hr width=100% size=1>Boating is <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.powerboat-training.co.uk>Serious</A> Fun

Broombroomput

Visit site
Thanyou everyone, thats cheered me up a lot. It looks like I'll have something to play about with over the winter. The slow seize happened after a fantastic day blasting around the islands off Abersoch, at indecent speeds (60+). The fan belt had been slipping all day, so when I was about to take it out for 'one last spin' and it turned over slowly, I was not too concerned. The next day with a recharged battery it still turned over slowly, so I checked the oil and found it all in the bilges, there was also water on the dip stick. I had no signs of overheating or low oil pressure from the guages (oil pressure guage is now thought to be suspect!) Local mechanics and pub experts just tut and say its fu***d, that will be 6k thankyou.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Col

Visit site
Agree. Real steel is best option as they charge car prices, not marine.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>