Med Hurricane

overstag

Visit site
I have been following the development of this Mediterranean Hurricane that hit the Ionian today.
Is there anyone in the yards in Preveza that can give me an update on the situation there?
My boat is on the hard in Cleopatra and I’m a bit concerned about the forecasted wind there for today...

Thanks!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I have been following the development of this Mediterranean Hurricane that hit the Ionian today.
Is there anyone in the yards in Preveza that can give me an update on the situation there?
My boat is on the hard in Cleopatra and I’m a bit concerned about the forecasted wind there for today...

Thanks!

Sorry can't help you , but I wouldn't be too worried , the cradle in both Cleopatra and Ionian yards are well made and the ground are solid ,look at the forecaster there not going to be more then a F7 if that on land , the vwrost part of the storm I s staying out at sea,
Best of luck .

Edit , looking at it again , it look like the worst will be south of Preveza

Last edited:

nickf

Visit site
Aktion airport records show a max wind speed of 19 kts during last 24 hours (with an isolated gust of 29 kts at 0050 hours).

Pasarell

Visit site
I'm in Lefkas and we were braced for it last evening. Poseidon, and others were showing it to arrive at 7ish until it suddenly disappeared off the Poseidon charts at about 4PM. Couple of heavy rain showers during the evening and maybe up to a F5 wind at times. Since about 3AM it's been very pleasant and quiet. I guess the storm took a sudden turn to the south and missed us completely

Visit site
Can state categorically there isn't going to be one, and there never will be one in the Med. And as Michael Fish said to complete his 100% totally accurate forecast, however there may well be some very strong winds.

As a sailor surely you know what a hurricane is????

Last edited:

dslittle

Visit site
Can state categorically there isn't going to be one, and there never will be one in the Med. And as Michael Fish said to complete his 100% totally accurate forecast, however there may well be some very strong winds.

I haven't even looked up the definition of a hurricane but you wouldn't have wanted to be in Vliho in 2011...

https://www.practical-sailor.com/is...Maintenance-Post-Tropical-Storms_11012-1.html

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
Can state categorically there isn't going to be one, and there never will be one in the Med.

Well, land masses move around so I wouldn't be quite so sure, although the likelihood is that the Med will disappear rather than migrate to the tropics. Whether species that sail yachts last that long is another matter...

So far all practical purposes, +1.

overstag

Visit site
Normalfornorfolk, Yes, I know what a hurricane is. I’ve studied meteorology and I have piloted an aeroplane through several of them.
I don’t know how to interpret your reply, but this weather phenomenon was dubbed a med hurricane in the media and I think there was good reason for it. Was it as strong as the Atlantic hurricanes? No, but it does display the same characteristics, so I understand the comparison.

You’re new here on the forum, so might I suggest to tone it down a little? I was merely concerned about the wellbeing of my boat in Preveza and I’m happy that some people here took the time to put my mind at ease.
Thank you!

GHA

Visit site

Semantics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_tropical-like_cyclone
Mediterranean tropical-like cyclones, sometimes referred to as Mediterranean hurricanes or Medicanes, are rare meteorological phenomena observed in the Mediterranean Sea.

overstag

Visit site
The idea is, that he is perhaps more accustomed to other forums where it is bon ton to question eachothers’ knowledge and skills at the first oportunity.
I was under the (perhaps false) impression that manners here were better...

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
If an outsider can add a few words before this gets too heated, my http://weather.mailasail.com/Franks-Weather/Hurricanes-And-Extra-Tropical-Lows may or may not help.

The senior forecaster at Bracknell was on the horns of a dilemma with the October 87 storm. Earlier runs of the forecast model had indeed predicted very strong winds over the U.K. Just before he had to brief Fish shortly before the broadcast, the Bracknell computer had run the then fairly new meso-scale model which had been working well. This took the main strength further south. In a nutshell, he backed the wrong horse. It was very nearly a good forecast but still very wrong.

Having done the senior forecaster job myself, I do still sympathise with him. I am less sorry for Fish. He has made his pile since giving after dinner talks. I am pretty sure that he invented his “lady who called in abpout a possible hurricane.” In the event it was not helpful.

Although much less likely, such an error is still possible even with far better computer models, far better data, far better data analysis schemes and far more computer power. One of the paradoxes in meteorology is that longer term - upto a week or more - forecasts are remarkably good but there can still be considerable uncertainty over the next 24 hours.

If you want to see/hear what Fish real said, then try https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NnxjZ-aFkjs. In the aftermath one of my colleagues asked the BBC why they did not show more of the broadcast. ‘It would not be a story!” Was the reply. So much for the media.

Last edited:
Visit site
Overstag, I find your response utterly unbelieveable. You have the nerve to belittle me as "new" here on the forum - yet you have a whole 81 posts?

You used a technical term with a well known definition in a completely incorrect manner. Do you call a high tide a Tsunami? Do you refer to ailerons as elevators? In your evidently extensive flying career did you happily interchange Kg and Lb or ask permission to "take off" on your regular flights "through hurricanes"? I'm surprised that an aviator of all people - least of all one who has "flown through" several would misuse the word Hurricane, accuracy and exemplary communication being such a stock-in-trade. Poor Michael Fish had is career marred, if not ruined by wilful and ignorant misunderstanding, of this very term in much the same way as you are trying to do to me - is it really too much to ask you not to talk of tsunamis when there is merely a high tide? This is not semantics but being carerful when employing technical language. There is something really rather sad about people being sloppy ridiculing the careful.

To put it in pilot's terms what blew through Vliho was an aeroplane speed wind, but it wasn't an aeroplane, was it? It was a big, brief destructive wind no doubt with it's own meteo name that wouldn't have been applicable in St Barts 2mths ago.

franksingleton's post above puts the record straight, thanks.

Tectonics? Ah! very good! I hadn't thought that far ahead! If the med grew to the size of the continental US and warmed up considerably you could be onto something there.

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Overstag, I find your response utterly unbelieveable. You have the nerve to belittle me as "new" here on the forum - yet you have a whole 81 posts?

You used a technical term with a well known definition in a completely incorrect manner. Do you call a high tide a Tsunami? Do you refer to ailerons as elevators? In your evidently extensive flying career did you happily interchange Kg and Lb or ask permission to "take off" on your regular flights "through hurricanes"? I'm surprised that an aviator of all people - least of all one who has "flown through" several would misuse the word Hurricane, accuracy and exemplary communication being such a stock-in-trade. Poor Michael Fish had is career marred, if not ruined by wilful and ignorant misunderstanding, of this very term in much the same way as you are trying to do to me - is it really too much to ask you not to talk of tsunamis when there is merely a high tide? This is not semantics but being carerful when employing technical language. There is something really rather sad about people being sloppy ridiculing the careful.

To put it in pilot's terms what blew through Vliho was an aeroplane speed wind, but it wasn't an aeroplane, was it? It was a big, brief destructive wind no doubt with it's own meteo name that wouldn't have been applicable in St Barts 2mths ago.

franksingleton's post above puts the record straight, thanks.

Tectonics? Ah! very good! I hadn't thought that far ahead! If the med grew to the size of the continental US and warmed up considerably you could be onto something there.

Looks like Paddy Cronin's back.

Visit site
err - I did, and replied accordingly in agreement, I thought!

Though to be fair I did take yours otherwise initially. It is sometimes very hard to tell the intent of a post, esp a short one where there is no body language to support it. Looks like that scenario got us both...

Last edited:

westernman

www.devalk.nl