Med advice please

freeman

Visit site
We [Sunbird 36 loa and 6 draft] aim to go to Turkey this year.
What length of shore line will I need
While we intend to 'press on' where are the nicest places to linger?
S portugal, S Spain , Balearics, S sardinia??
thanks in advance
Sunbird

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
If you intend anchoring in some of the beautiful but deep bays around the Turkish coast then you will need to put out a stern line to a tree or a rock or your swinging circle will be unacceptable. - At least 100 metres or double that if you want to be able to let go without going ashore.... Need not be heavy line as mostly these bays are calm and if the wind did get up you would probably want to get out of there.......

As to where to linger it all depends on individual taste - the only place that is beautiful but will disappoint is the Balearic's ... so overcrowded with boats it makes the Solent in high summer look empty!

Michael

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
You'll find qualitative comparisons of S Spain, Balearics, Sicily and Greece (in a lot of detail) on my website. It's not a pilot guide - it's just a comparison of the various places, trying to highlight 'must sees' and pointing out snags. Designed to be useful for those planning charters or cruises.

Foxy

www.yachtfoxglove.com
Agree with above. Out of season the Balearics are stunning. You can get away with it for maybe a month of 'in season' before it just gets silly. Corsica and Sardinia are ok but same problems and imho not as stunning. The Southern bits of Spain and Portugal have their gems but in truth they are few and far between. Are you heading from the UK? If so, then the North coast of Spain and the Rias are certainly worth some time - Its what you would really like the med to be like.
Either way, enjoy!

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We have been in Greece for most of the 2007 season, where berthing stern-to beaches, bays and cliffs is our favoured mode of anchoring. I have been using two warps, 12 mm diameter, one 29 metres the other 35 metres. Very occasionally I have extended by attaching another warp to one or both of these but this has been the exception rather than the rule. As neither of these was the finest warp in existence, I have just replaced them with braid-on-braid, 13 mm, each 40 metres in length. Boat is a Sadler 34.

Balearics are excellent, with many anchorages. Southern Sardinia is also very nice but anchoring opportunites are considerably less. However, ports down there tend to be a little less expensive than elsewhere in Italy.

samwise

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
It's certainly worth looking at locations that provide access to interesting places inland. Because the marina / tourist spot can quickly pall. For example a stay in the southern Rias would provide the opportunity to visit Santiago do Compostela, Cascais in Portugal can offer Lisbon and other attractions. Balearics are great either side the late July /August peak, but even then there are anchorages to be had. In many cases the weather will decide for you but a bit research with the relevant Rough Guide or similar should identify some likely spots with a wider range of attractions for planned longer stays. Public transport is generally much better value than UK and car hire rates , even in peak season are reasonable if you shop around.

trouville

N/A
Visit site
I have a pair of 10mx16mm lines that are very handy for tieing up stern to the key.By now there very worn i have a loop spliced at one end,If im stying i add a second pair of 15mx16mm these can be let out incase of a swell.

For a long line i have 60m x 18mm which has proved very useful for towing mooring and putting out a second anchor.

Another useful though seldom used item is a 4kg grapel with 30m x 10mm which i use when tieing up along side rough keys or those made for ships i throw it out from the side,a heavier graple would be better buts very hard to throw the same distance.Very very useful when needed

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
IMHO 16 mm is far too big for this job. Taking rope this size ashore can be hard work, especially if swimming it. My kedge warp is 16 mm, with a breaking load of more than 4 tonnes, quite unnecessary in this application.

Three strand nylon becomes very stiff after use in salt water, and thus difficult to handle. One of my current warps is like this and it is a real struggle to unravel and pay out. My shorter warps in nylon braid on braid are as soft now as when we bought them two years ago, despite frequent immersion.

Barry Edwards has the 13 mm nylon braid on braid for £1.10 per metre on Ebay.

Davy_S

Visit site
As a rough guide, 100 metres of 3 strand nylon 10mm cost me 35 euros. It is a bit of a novelty guestimating 100metres and then putting it on the scales. Its a bit like going to the butchers, weighing a piece of meat and telling him to cut the string off and weigh it again /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris_Robb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would make up Two lines of say 50mts 16mm 3 strand nylon
jimmy green has an offer of 100mts at £160 a good deal.

poter

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure about 3 strand nylon, it may be cheap, but it gets hard and stiff and difficult to handle in weater and sunlight - both of which will be around in plenty.

A cheap braid on braid is easier to handle as it does not get so twisted as 3 strand.

cenit40

Visit site
Hi
We have anchored a fair bit stern to. We find the cheapest and best way is to buy 100M. of 25mm diam floating poly prop rope from a local fishermans co-op (bought per Kg) . This is very cheap. Straighten out the coil and make a loop at both ends. Using a polyprop veg. sack stuff the rope into it hand on hand.
Drop the anchor reversing back into a position previously inspected. Throw sack into the dinghy and row ashore, the helm then keeps the ship broadly in position.
Fasten the rope off ashore and row the dinghy back to the ship, hand up the bight to the helm to loosely fasten off. Relax- then adjust and tighten the line and or the anchor chain. Later , set the second stern line.
This places no weight on the rope or the person because it floats. It also can be seen easily and avoided when reversing, unlike sinking rope and webbing, it also doesn't get caught on 'out of line' underwater rocks. the sack ensures that the line out feeds without tangling. We also have a couple of 6mm. SS chain bights to take any chafe when we attach to rocks.