MD2040 Raw Water pump spacer

Visit site
In the process of rebuilding my sea water pump on my MD2040 and when removing the old seals the plastic spacer with the feet on it disintegrated.. having looked in my rebuild kit there is no spacer supplied and Marinepartseurope list it as obsolete ...cant find one anywhere else...can anyone advise...or is there a way of getting round this issue..

Visit site
Hi Richard...yes that's the one, plastic with the little feet...I did look at it thinking it doesn't look as though it does much and that a similar (depth) sized rubber or nylon washer would do just as well..

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Hi Richard...yes that's the one, plastic with the little feet...I did look at it thinking it doesn't look as though it does much and that a similar (depth) sized rubber or nylon washer would do just as well..

Indeed Gary, I can't see why any similar sized rubber washer which fits snugly over the shaft between the seals would not be just as good. As long as you check occasionally that the tell tale hole is not blocked you should soon spot any leakage indicating that one of the seals has gone even if there was no fling washer (or whatever it's called :)).

Richard

Plum

Visit site
In the process of rebuilding my sea water pump on my MD2040 and when removing the old seals the plastic spacer with the feet on it disintegrated.. having looked in my rebuild kit there is no spacer supplied and Marinepartseurope list it as obsolete ...cant find one anywhere else...can anyone advise...or is there a way of getting round this issue..

I have just overhauled the pump on my VP engine and although my spacer was reusable as far as I could see its only purpose is to act as a spacer between the two lip seals. When pushing in the second seal in if you push it in too far it would be very difficult to push it back without damaging it. Providing you are careful how you insert the seals I dont think the plastic spacer is necessary. The O ring between the seals only serves to make any water that leaks out to drip out through the drain rather than running further along the shaft.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

David_cepi

Visit site
I have just overhauled the pump on my VP engine and although my spacer was reusable as far as I could see its only purpose is to act as a spacer between the two lip seals. When pushing in the second seal in if you push it in too far it would be very difficult to push it back without damaging it. Providing you are careful how you insert the seals I dont think the plastic spacer is necessary. The O ring between the seals only serves to make any water that leaks out to drip out through the drain rather than running further along the shaft.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
Hi Plum:

Do you think that o ring between the seals is critical?. I bought a rebuilding kit from parts4engines and this oring is not included. I just placed a oring from and assorted box for peace of mind but wonder if i should just buy the original (with its correct size) from VP.

Thanks.

greeny

Visit site
Hi Plum:

Do you think that o ring between the seals is critical?. I bought a rebuilding kit from parts4engines and this oring is not included. I just placed a oring from and assorted box for peace of mind but wonder if i should just buy the original (with its correct size) from VP.

Thanks.
Probably not mega critical but why not fit one anyway. I last did mine with one out of the o ring box in 2018 and it was fine until i sold the boat in 2021.

Plum

Visit site
Hi Plum:

not critical to have the exact size but I always fit one. It must grip the shaft, of course.
www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk