MBY's spot the boat

MapisM

Visit site
LOL, did you forget the google image search check before posting the STB this week, Jack? :)
img.php

me2

Visit site
I know what you are implying, It is actually quite easy this week, how many boats have that style handrails?

MapisM

Visit site
That somewhat defeats the object, doesn't it? It's only supposed to be a bit of fun after all.
Couldn't agree more. That's why you'd better cross-check beforehand if GIS can find any recurrence for the image you're going to post.
Experience tells us that when such recurrence didn't exist, the bit of fun lasted much longer.
Of course, that might well be a coincidence..... :p

me2

Visit site
MapisM ...whats up with you ? In the past weeks Reece has been at school .... whats he meant to do leave class just for stb ? this week is half term so he is at home . No he does not use GIS to find the photos , he knows his boats alot better than most ever will . He asked what boats have handrails like that in the photo .... so come on what one do ?

jfm

Visit site
Couldn't agree more. That's why you'd better cross-check beforehand if GIS can find any recurrence for the image you're going to post.
Experience tells us that when such recurrence didn't exist, the bit of fun lasted much longer.
Of course, that might well be a coincidence..... :p
Hey mapism I think you're being a bit unfair on me2. He and his family have said categorically he isn't using gis. It is perfectly possible to do stb quickly without gis. You just spot some details and work from there. I have guessed plenty the same way and have never used gis in my life, ever. So it can be done. I get the stb boat in one minute or not at all from the detail in the pic. You just need to be a boat geek, as me2 is ( said by a fellow sufferer of that condition!)

MapisM

Visit site
Cheer up folks, I was hoping that the emoticons were sufficient to qualify the spirit of my posts, but obviously not.
So, let's say that R is good at spotting details, and I'm good at spotting coincidences.
Fair and square? :cool:

jfm

Visit site
Cheer up folks, I was hoping that the emoticons were sufficient to qualify the spirit of my posts
I'm amazed at you. Emoticons can do certain things but you cannot say someone is a cheat and several are liars, and then "make it ok" with an emoticon

MapisM

Visit site
I'm amazed at you. Emoticons can do certain things but you cannot say someone is a cheat and several are liars, and then "make it ok" with an emoticon
Well, I also found a bit weird your "excusatio non petita" for that matter - as if I were alone in thinking what I thought, btw.
But all that aside, is there any point really worth discussing that you're trying to make?
At risk of amazing you again, if there was one in your posts, I'm completely missing it.

jfm

Visit site
You really are quite something. My statement that I didn't use gis was, as is clear from the sentence following it, made to illustrate that stb can be done without gis. I was merely supporting me2 in the face of your hint that he was cheating

The fact you saw it as an ex excusatio non petita, thus implying I'm a liar as well as me2 and his family, is disappointing

MapisM

Visit site
This is getting ridiculous jfm, by this rate you will soon pretend that I insulted also the Queen.

I called your post (#10) an excusatio non petita simply because that's what it was - fact.
Thinking that the dependent clause normally associated with that could apply to someone who is not involved in the "accusatio" (assuming that there is one) is something that defies logic.
This is what made your statement weird. And I wouldn't have even mentioned it anyway, if it weren't for your insistence which followed.

And re. the core subject, though I'm beginning to suspect that you actually couldn't care less about it, show me where I said that me2 family are a bunch of liars, if you can.
So far, you're the only one who (repeatedly) used the terms cheat and liar in this thread, and very inappropriately.
To start with, cheat is an adjective I would never use for a young boy who tries to impress in a forum related to his passion, regardless of any tricks he might use.
I mean, c'mon, even assuming that he did use GIS, it's not like he won millions by doing that.
But let's assume I somehow implied me2 is a cheat. How exactly it follows from that I said "several are liars"?

Hint: re-read the previous posts, and try to apply some strict LOGIC to the FACTS, before answering such question - if you really want to.
You are of course entitled to make your own bizarre interpretations on anything I'm writing, but not to pretend that they are the Gospel truth.

Visit site
Children Children.
Please stop bickering.
I have used Google to see if my "guess" on spot the boat was right or not. I never thought of myself as a cheat!
And just because you can both use complicated words that the rest of us mere grown ups don't fully understand doesn't make your bleating at each other big or clever.

Currently the most grown up person in this thread is the young man who actually got the question right.

It's only a game boys, it's only a game.

me2

Visit site
This is probably my first and last post on this forum.

I would like to thank JFM for sticking up for my son. He does not and has never cheated on spot the boat. My son is, as JFM said a complete boat geek and spends every hour looking at and researching boats. His uncle was a marine engineer and his grandfather is yacht surveyor who does new build surveys for bennetti yachts and was a skipper on super yachts. My husband is also very keen on boating so it runs in the family.

I am upset at the implications made in post 3 that my son has used gis to find the answers despite the fact that the last time this row erupted, my husband, brother in law and our friend peanuts supported our son.

As his mum, I feel very disappointed that in post 3, it has been implied that my son has again used gis. Obviously my son had the same feeling and he felt the need to reply.

In view of these nasty comments, my son will not be posting on this forum again so next week lets hope you get the right answer and no one implies that you have used gis.

jfm

Visit site
This is probably my first and last post on this forum.

I would like to thank JFM for sticking up for my son. He does not and has never cheated on spot the boat. My son is, as JFM said a complete boat geek and spends every hour looking at and researching boats. His uncle was a marine engineer and his grandfather is yacht surveyor who does new build surveys for bennetti yachts and was a skipper on super yachts. My husband is also very keen on boating so it runs in the family.

I am upset at the implications made in post 3 that my son has used gis to find the answers despite the fact that the last time this row erupted, my husband, brother in law and our friend peanuts supported our son.

As his mum, I feel very disappointed that in post 3, it has been implied that my son has again used gis. Obviously my son had the same feeling and he felt the need to reply.

In view of these nasty comments, my son will not be posting on this forum again so next week lets hope you get the right answer and no one implies that you have used gis.
Hey, please do encourage your son to keep posting on here. He is clearly mad keen on boats and it would be nice to see him post on here from time to time. It is a huge shame that Mapism won't back down from his hint that your son is cheating and that the rest of your family are lying. We can't change that but we can just ignore it. I'm not going to bother replying to his heavily wordsmithed post at 15.03 above. Anyway I hope your son can come to the view that one poster showing such bad form isn't enough of a reason for your son not to post on here. If your son is ever in the Antibes area tell him to drop by and come for a boat ride - he would be very welcome :)

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
Hey, please do encourage your son to keep posting on here. He is clearly mad keen on boats and it would be nice to see him post on here from time to time. It is a huge shame that Mapism won't back down from his hint that your son is cheating and that the rest of your family are lying. We can't change that but we can just ignore it. I'm not going to bother replying to his heavily wordsmithed post at 15.03 above. Anyway I hope your son can come to the view that one poster showing such bad form isn't enough of a reason for your son not to post on here. If your son is ever in the Antibes area tell him to drop by and come for a boat ride - he would be very welcome :)

+1 It's quite refreshing for youngsters to have an interest in something other than electronic games, so please don't let him stop participating!

I didn't actually read MM's post as an accusation of cheating, but more a comment to Jack that since the cat was out of the bag on GIS, that he should perhaps ensure images weren't already in the public domain (i.e. GIS). Either way it's a shame there's been such animosity over something that's a bit of fun.

Working in IT, I've long been aware of GIS but also never been tempted to use. I've spent hours trawling boat images trying to spot subtle features visible in STB, but clearly I'm just not very good at it - or too easily distracted... :)

Me2 Junior - please keep it up! :encouragement: