MayDay! Dog overboard....

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I am sure I have read reports of the RNLI saving dogs and various other animals at sea. I wonder if the dog was wearing a life jacket and, more importantly, why it was not clipped on. We all know what a big 10 month old puppy is like, loads of energy and no sense.

Halo

Visit site
It seems the mayday call did not raise pandemonium and the dog was left to swim 6 miles to shore. It seems the Americans have more sense than we do. I expect our Coastguard would have called out helicopters and RNLI to search.
The number of people with out of control dogs in the UK is rising and rising. Last week I was rafted against a boat in Lowestoft and someone had let a dog crap on its foredeck - a right hazard for us as we went ashore. This week I was in an open air cafe and a St Bernard was allowed to swing its head over our table dribbling saliva. The owners were surprised when I told them to control the forking thing rather than saying what a marvelous big baby they had.

johnalison

Visit site
I don't think dog rescues from the sea are often called for, but cliff falls appear to be very common. A quick look seems to show emergency services engaged in many of these, including the RNLI. I can understand the RSPCA getting involved, but use of other services seems to be a waste of resources, though if someone tells me that it is a useful training exercise, I might be prepared to accept this.

dom

Visit site
I can understand the RSPCA getting involved, but use of other services seems to be a waste of resources, though if someone tells me that it is a useful training exercise, I might be prepared to accept this.

Such a policy also deters DIY rescues which carry a heightened risk of tragic outcome.

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
I'd call the CG but not a Mayday.

We once followed a dog apparently in trouble swimming from Hayling Island to Emsworth, lifting the keel to effect a rescue, only to see the sod clamber ashore, have a shake then trot along the beach; it was a NewFoundland out for his daily exercise...:rolleyes:

OTOH my dog, a Westie, was killed when he went overboard.

chanelyacht

Visit site
I don't think dog rescues from the sea are often called for, but cliff falls appear to be very common. A quick look seems to show emergency services engaged in many of these, including the RNLI. I can understand the RSPCA getting involved, but use of other services seems to be a waste of resources, though if someone tells me that it is a useful training exercise, I might be prepared to accept this.

The main reason assets are tasked to pet rescues (although a helo never would be) is because experience shows if they aren't, the owners or public will try and recover it, which will lead to a human life risk incident.

Yes, it is also good training, and for the RNLI (which is, after all, a charity and can do what it wants) it's good for fundraising and training.

There red have been numerous incidents of human lost, animal self recovered, and that's why we task units.

l'escargot

Visit site
I saw a quote somewhere credited to the RNLI that they save "lives' and don't specify only human lives. I have no problem with them saving animals any more than I have a problem with the fire brigade rescuing animals from fires. In fact, I think it only right that they do and they would go down in my estimation if they didn't.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
As long as saving the animal doesn't divert resources from saving a human, then I don't see the problem. Lifeboat crews have to practise, so a call to rescue a dog (or hamster or whatever) is a good, realistic practise opportunity.