Maxum 3000SCR Ride Characteristics?

BarryD

Visit site
MVII is soon to be replaced by MVIII - A twin diesel Maxum 3000SCR. I've heard that they are soft riding (18 degree deadrise, 5 tonnes) can anyone confirm what sort of ride I should get - sea trial soon.

MVII was a bit slam bam bumpity bump (thanks TCM) at 17kts with some of them feeling like I just impacted and twisted my spine in one go. Short person being 3 would probably not like that very much - I wasn't too convinced either!

Also on the sea trial is it worth having a play at one engine handling after all I'm spending oddles more for this "must have" safety feature? Or is the current owner likely to throw me overboard if I ask?

Barry D.

IMHO & FWIW, NWGOI.

ccscott49

Visit site
Barry, I would definitely want to see how it performs with one engine, you never know!! It might be a complete dog with only one engine on. and handle like a dog on lino!

G

Dunno. Maxum 2300SC was fine in up to F5, as long as not wind over tide, and all the obvious stuff. Bigger boat = heavier = more likely to flatten out the lumpy stuff. We went through the Alderney Race and were lucky to keep our fillings, while the Squaddie 55 in front complained they spilled a glass of wine on the flybridge...

Short people seem fine as long as big people don't panic.

KevB

Visit site
Barry,

Dont expect the boat to get on the plane with one engine. The boat is designed to run with two. Expect it to be like driving your car with a flat front tyre.
Running on a single engine is fine when you are pottering about doing 5 knots but you do lose handling due to the offset drive.
The only indication giving large on one engine will give you is if they both perform the same, port first then stbd and make sure they both reach the same max revs. IMHO.

jfm

Visit site
I wouldn't waste time on one engine trial, performance will be crap, nowhere near planing speed, so that's what will happen.

You can test if both engines reach same max rpm by running both at WOT. They should be fine at 100 hours, nearly brand new

tcm

Visit site
I lost an engine (cable) and pootled along at 6-8 knots. Handling doesn't much come into it - it sort of goes straight if if you steer to correct the offset engine. Mind you, it should sort of work.

More interestingly, I'd see wot'll it do with gps. Deleted User? and coliholic? di good engine testy posts re seatrial a month or two ago, grep for seatrial (unixy eh?).

tcm

Visit site
Re: oh and

you want the engine compartment to be lovely and clean, not loads and loads of water slooshing about.

On flat water, this should bomb along. It will be NOTICEABLY better, more softriding, less whippy than the 25 footer. Voulme up by the cube of the difference.

Mind you, I dunno what that Dave marsh is on about interms of handling on boats cos I've always found the roadholding really quite crap on a boat ;-)

Note that if you leave the bimni up then the noise of the engine will make a right racket -in cockpit much quieter with the whole lot down. Ooodles of cash-spending opps to sound insulate.

Worth find ing out what it's like down below whilst it's moving along, does everything rattle like hell? It'll be a racket downm there too at 25 knot plus, tho not too enginey more swoosh noise of water against hull.

Think that with a 30 footer (or even a 50 footer) those waves wd've caused some slamming in channel trip.

stewart

Visit site
Lost an engine once on 46' shaft drive and was fine going straight(ish) but an absolute b*****d to moor in a tight marina as the rudder did virtually nothing at slow speed and no bow thruster. Just had two choices - go round in a circle forward or go round in a circle backwards! In the end a friend suggested using the tender as a bow thruster which worked well and got the boat in.

jfm

Visit site
Lock the cabin door BarryD

He's keeping "Hello Buoys", in worshipful deference to Eva Herzagova, I thort. Anyway, it's unlucky to change. There again, could be a bit of a liability if he does an overnighter in Brighton on his own (eek!)

paulineb

Visit site
Re: Lock the cabin door BarryD

Hang on - BarryD on his own? In a boat? Who the **** is going to man the helm while he's dong his dungeness soup trick ?

PS - Did you know, all tennis players are witches? Goran - even he's a witch!

Pxx

BarryD

Visit site
I thank you all...

Thanks for all the er... advice. Really looking forward to the trial, and will do some one engine stuff on both just to see it can cope.

MVIII as she will be known to the board shall become.... well it's SWMBO obeyed's choice - assuing that the Rev. TCM is bouncing around the Med in Diana II the hardly reverent Mr Wignall appears to have been ordanied (G*d help us) and will perform the re-name ceremony.

Cheers all.

Barry D.

IMHO & FWIW, NWGOI.

BarryD

Visit site
Hot fav. \"American Pie\"

Course where ever we visit will have to get used to the marina singing....

"Bye-bye, American Pie" etc..

Barry D.

IMHO & FWIW, NWGOI.

coliholic

Visit site
Re: Hot fav. \"American Pie\"

"Bye-bye, American Pie"?

No don't get that joke Barry, please explain. Is this something like Pauline and jfm were getting into earlier??

And nice to see you got hom,e safely after your long day at work. did you make the 28 past?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by coliholic on Thu Mar 14 22:35:58 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

BarryD

Visit site
Re: Hot fav. \"American Pie\"

Hi Coliin - made the 17:20 having just missed the 17:10 - had a meeting near Angel so decided to go straight home rather than back down to the river and then back up again inside an hour. Were you in town today?

Barry D.

IMHO & FWIW, NWGOI.