Matsutec HP-33A AIS Transponder

sailor1924

Visit site
Quick reply (without timetocheck the docs) First check your C80 takes NMEA0183 input. You have to go in to the set up menu of the HP-33A to choose it to output AIS. Works OK for me on my OpenCPN on a computer.

Pin out was posted earlier in this thread.

Hi;

I've recently bought the HP-33A and like it very much.

For Nigel, the firmware on mine is 20151202.
I've been trying to get the AIS on Opencpn 4.4 and am unsuccessful. I've followed the pin-out drawings here and made up a DB-9 to the unit 10 pin pig tale cord.

I'm trying to connect to a Dell laptop running XP and having no joy. I've also tried the cord on a Panasonic Tough book running Windows 7, no success there either. I've tried setting the output on both AIS and alternately on GPS and changed the output baud rates on the HP-33A and in the device manager com port settings.
I suspect that I've created some kind of port conflict but haven't been able to figure it out. Any help from someone who's been able to get it to run on Opencpn is appreciated.

Quester

Visit site
Before I buy an HP-33A I need to know if it can be flush/panel mounted instead of sitting up on the cradle (for the vandals to pinch). The on-line manual says:

"The receiver unit can be installed on a desktop, underside of table or in a panel. Refer
to the outline drawings at the end of this manual for installation instructions."

But there are no drawings at the end of the manual and no panel mounting instructions/templates. Anybody out there know the answers?

Bi111ion

Visit site
Before I buy an HP-33A I need to know if it can be flush/panel mounted instead of sitting up on the cradle (for the vandals to pinch). The on-line manual says:

"The receiver unit can be installed on a desktop, underside of table or in a panel. Refer
to the outline drawings at the end of this manual for installation instructions."

But there are no drawings at the end of the manual and no panel mounting instructions/templates. Anybody out there know the answers?

As I didn't flush mount mine I am not sure, if there was a template I may have thrown it out. But I can have a look at it when I next go to the boat if that helps. I suspect it flush mounts in a very similar way to the "surprisingly similar" Furuno GP33 gps receiver. The brochure for that has a flush mounting diagram (not saying the dimensions are exactly the same).

Did you ask the supplier if they have a flush mounting template?

pvb

Visit site

I'd be wary about buying an HP-33A on the basis of poor documentation, and potentially poor support. However, if you do want to flush-mount one, here's how - courtesy of the late Nigel Mercier.

View attachment 66834View attachment 66835

TSB240

Visit site
I'd be wary about buying an HP-33A on the basis of poor documentation, and potentially poor support. However, if you do want to flush-mount one, here's how - courtesy of the late Nigel Mercier.

View attachment 66834View attachment 66835
I followed the Late Nigel's recommendation for mounting. Do not be put off by the latter comment. This unit is superb and pretty intuitive to use. If you have a specific requirement to link it with other equipment don't hesitate to ask or PM. The manual is workable and at least it isn't in Chinese!

superheat6k

Visit site
I followed the Late Nigel's recommendation for mounting. Do not be put off by the latter comment. This unit is superb and pretty intuitive to use. If you have a specific requirement to link it with other equipment don't hesitate to ask or PM. The manual is workable and at least it isn't in Chinese!
And if you do have a problem Huayang will answer any questions by email. If you want a combined chart plotter then the HP-6/8/12 28A are excellent. I had the HP-628A and have recently upgraded to the HP-1228A.

Quester

Visit site
Thanks to all resonders re panel mounting the HP-33A - the late Nigel's recommendation looks like a very neat solution. Also feedback on Huayang tech support is very re-assuring.
Cheers

BlueChip

Visit site
I've had mine installed for a few years now. The first one I received, died shortly after installation and was replaced promptly and since then has worked faultlessly.
I use it as a GPS / AIS sender to Seaclear with ARCS charts running on a built in micro PC with remote 24" low energy monitor.
Having used charts with AIS overlay on a decent sized screen I cannot imagine ever going back to a small screen plotter.

nardus

quintessens.gaatverweg.nl
Hello, I've reveived my HP33a yesterday day. Installed it, mmsi en let it on for a a day or so. Waiting for marine traffic to pick up my signal. So far so good, but every now an then the unit makes a buzzing sound and i dont mean the cpa alarm.
Does anybody has this too ? I'm curious because when i received the unit from the post the carton box was heavyly damaged. It gives a silently buzz after each cpa alarm.

greeny

Visit site
Just looking at buying a Matsutec HP but I am unsure of the difference between the HP33 and the HP33A, or is there a difference?
Is one an older model or does the A version give you more functions or something?
Any help or recommendations will be welcome. I know that some of this info may be hidden in the previous 15 pages but can anyone sum it up for me.
Can anyone advise the best place to buy from. Ebay or somewhere else?
thanks
greeny

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Just looking at buying a Matsutec HP but I am unsure of the difference between the HP33 and the HP33A, or is there a difference?
Is one an older model or does the A version give you more functions or something?

HP-33 is a GPS receiver. HP-33A is the same thing with AIS as well.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Thanks JD, but just to confuscus me a bit more:

this is wrong then - HP33A classB transponder is what the text says
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122872813866?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2648

thought the price was low - good job I asked before I bought.
Thanks again

Sellers sometimes get confused and quote the wrong code. I think - I am 300 mies away from it - that the box my HP-33A came in was labelled for both with a tickbox to say what it actually contained.

I'd expect that listing to be for the AIS version, as it's silly expensive for a GPS receiver. I think I paid about £280 for mine, but I was later charged about sixty quid import duty and handling. Still well worth it.

superheat6k

Visit site
Any help or recommendations will be welcome. I know that some of this info may be hidden in the previous 15 pages but can anyone sum it up for me.
Can anyone advise the best place to buy from. Ebay or somewhere else?
thanks
greeny
I have bought first the HP-628A and more recently replaced this with the HP-1228A both bought direct from the maker Huayang. Simply email Susan
[h=2]sales003@huayang-tech.com[/h]I would certainly suggest these Chart plotters with built in AIS transceivers be considered.

They will have it to you within 2 weeks of receiving your payment. The last one arrived after 5 days.

Pagetslady

Visit site
Why not buy from Amazon I received my 105 transponder next day it had a fault received another one next day, mine is connected to my ray C120 works fine it also through vYachtWifi connects to my iPad.
Mike

greeny

Visit site
Thanks for that idea. The price on amazon is a wee bit dearer but by the time I allow for vat and/or tax, the prices are comparable. Plus I'll get it next day delivery.
Looks like amazon it is then.
Thanks again.

Ordered - coming on Thursday - thanks to all for your input.

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
New unit arrived this morning. A day early from Amazon. Unpacked it and am immediately impressed at the build quality of the casing and ancillary parts. Will power it up later to give it a quick test before travelling to the boat on Saturday to fit it next week.
Now the question arises. I was planning to replace my AIS receiver unit at the chart table with this new unit but having seen the build quality I'm sure it will be fine to be mounted on the wheel pedestal outside which I think will bring advantages if being used as an anti collision assistance device in fog. Already have a chart plotter up there so no room for HP33A in the console so it would have to be bracket mounted on top of the pedestal somehow. Probably not look great but will be more functional up there. So, decision to be made, up top at the wheel looking like an "add on" or down below looking better cosmetically.
I am leaning towards fitting at the wheel at the moment. Function over looks. Any thoughts?

TSB240

Visit site
Ours is cockpit mounted. We used the advice given earlier by the late Nigel for surface mounting and it is Binnacle mounted alongside the Wind, Compass and MFD instruments under the spray hood above the Hatch.

I reckon it is essential to have it cockpit mounted especially if you are single handing or short crewed and want to fully use the AIS and GPS capabilities. We feed the AIS Nmea info into a mini computer that has its own 10 " display by the Chart table using Open CPN which probably has one of the most user friendly AIS collision avoidance displays available.

Instrument Binnacle.jpg

Last edited: