Matching the gel coat

dave_gibsea

Visit site
Our Gib'sea 76 has a few minor scrapes and scratches on the hull that I'd like to fill but I need to get the correct shade of white gel coat... Does anyone know the reference etc., for Gib'sea hull gel coat? (I'm assuming, perhaps naively that all Gib'sea yachts have the same shade of gel coat). Thanks! ?

Beneteau381

Visit site
I've got a guy at the paint shop who can match colors perfectly by eye (better than the computer!)
Gelcoat for repairs color matching - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
[/QUOT
Our Gib'sea 76 has a few minor scrapes and scratches on the hull that I'd like to fill but I need to get the correct shade of white gel coat... Does anyone know the reference etc., for Gib'sea hull gel coat? (I'm assuming, perhaps naively that all Gib'sea yachts have the same shade of gel coat). Thanks! ?
On my two Beneteaus there is was a plate in the locker with the colour code on it

dac31

Visit site
I would be interested in hearing how this worked for you I was under perhaps the false impression that it was very difficult to colour match gelcoat and therefore the typical approach was to cover it with a new sheet of glass and refinish with gelcoat or paint.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
As previously mentioned many times, the chances of the colour being even close to the original after years of weathering and exposure to sunlight are negligible. Further, the colour will be different on different parts of the boat. Matching in place is the only reliable way to do it.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I worked as a colour matcher for several years. Here is a simple guideline as to matching for an off-white grp gelcoat.
Start with a white repair paste, e.g. Plastic Padding.
Add colour very sparingly. All colours added to white will make it darker as well as changing the colour.
Red and green are 'opposites', i.e. if too red add some green, and vice versa.
Same applies to blue and yellow.
More info on this at LAB Color Space and Values | X-Rite Color Blog

Pigments are never 'pure' colours, e.g. reds will have some blue or yellow.
Mix on a tile, using a pallette knife. Spread onto an undamaged area of the hull with the knife, then scrape off for further adjustment. When satisfied, add catalyst and spread over the repair.

dankilb

Visit site
Indeed it was, I got the code from the net and for a 2005 Jeanneau RAL 9016 it's near enough invisible. To the point where there'd be no point messing any further with it.
My RAL colour chart app says that (Traffic white) only has 5% yellow in it in terms of CMYK.

Funnily enough, when I asked the local GRP guy, while looking at our Jen, he said just pop a bit of yellow tint in!

(Not sayin I wouldn’t just buy the RAL too, but GRP guy has a good eye)

WindyWindyWindy

Visit site
My RAL colour chart app says that (Traffic white) only has 5% yellow in it in terms of CMYK.

Funnily enough, when I asked the local GRP guy, while looking at our Jen, he said just pop a bit of yellow tint in!

(Not sayin I wouldn’t just buy the RAL too, but GRP guy has a good eye)
I'd have said it's darker than the osculati pure white filler that I've used before. Which I do recommend, it's very easy to use.

To me, traffic white looks slightly blue when viewed side by side. Unfortunately it doesn't really show up in photographs.

dankilb

Visit site
I'd have said it's darker than the osculati pure white filler that I've used before. Which I do recommend, it's very easy to use.

To me, traffic white looks slightly blue when viewed side by side. Unfortunately it doesn't really show up in photographs.
Yes I was surprised to see the CMYK saying yellow was the only colour tint for 9016 - I wouldn't have classified it as a 'creamy' white at all. But maybe shows what I know about colours/printing/etc.!

The GRP pro suggested that he mainly uses yellow or black tint, suggesting they're the best for matching natural fading/oxidation in white gelcoat. Our boat is 1989 and he rightly suggested, unless you compound/polish the entire thing (inc. bits you can't like the textured non-skid) - you're always trying to match some degree of age-related discolouration on an older, well-weathered (former Med & Caribbean!), boat.

dankilb

Visit site
Yes I was surprised to see the CMYK saying yellow was the only colour tint for 9016 - I wouldn't have classified it as a 'creamy' white at all. But maybe shows what I know about colours/printing/etc.!

The GRP pro suggested that he mainly uses yellow or black tint, suggesting they're the best for matching natural fading/oxidation in white gelcoat. Our boat is 1989 and he rightly suggested, unless you compound/polish the entire thing (inc. bits you can't like the textured non-skid) - you're always trying to match some degree of age-related discolouration on an older, well-weathered (former Med & Caribbean!), boat.
Just checked 'pure white' and that also shows the same 5% yellow on CMYK - so maybe it isn't representative, apart from for printing? I can't see how both colours could have the exact same profile! On RBG 9016 has more blue than pure white. But again, I appreciate these are about how colours show on screen/paper.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Just checked 'pure white' and that also shows the same 5% yellow on CMYK - so maybe it isn't representative, apart from for printing? I can't see how both colours could have the exact same profile! On RBG 9016 has more blue than pure white. But again, I appreciate these are about how colours show on screen/paper.
You have also to ask which yellow! Pigments don't come with the pure spectral values that colour systems like CMYK assume, so the yellow pigment used will affect the result. The print industry is standardized round a particular set of inks, but the inks aren't (and can't be) pure, monochromatic colours.

Colour matching is a black art, and even with professional equipment is hard to get right, and downright impossible in certain situations (e.g. matching an emissive system like a monitor and a reflective system like a printer). It'll be close, but both have colours the other can't reproduce.