Masthead aerial cable routing

bobgarrett

Visit site
Since replacing my vhf aerial and cable the cable keeps coming out of the sail groove despite me feeding by attaching it to the replaced cable and pulling it through. Usually it is not a problem as the sliders push it back in when the main is hoisted but sometimes it sticks so something is wrong. It can also rattle at night if it escapes and its windy.
Looking at the Selden mast catalogue and diagrams it appears to be correct to route cables near the sail groove though the diagram suggests there are "ducts" each side of the main groove but with slots between them.
Where are your aerial cables routed and has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

alan_d

Visit site
Bob, I do not have any cable ducts in my mast and I have exactly the same problem.

If you look at page 176 of the Selden catalogue you will see that they supply a glue to hold cables in position, but I have not been keen to put glue anywhere near my luff groove for fear of making it harder to raise or lower the main.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
Surely any cables should be in the bit of mast section that isn't open. They may be running alongside halyards but as long as they aren't too loose they shouldn't cause a problem. Where do your lighting cables run?

Martin_J

Visit site
Do you know which exact section of selden mast you have?
I was wondering about mine - but a quick measure of the fore-aft and side-side measurements, together with groove width and whether it has zero, one or two vertical lines up the mast.. oh and if the lines are central (fore and aft) or off center - and I find the section type very easily.

Lots of individual selden documents here.. http://www.seldenmast.com/page.cfm?id=5564

Perhaps start by checking measurements in the E-, D-, P- & R sections part in document 595-557-E Low.

And yes, there are some sections of mast that have the cables to the sides of the luff groove - but are you sure yours has no conduit - is the mast down?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
It may depend upon the age of the mast and the precise section. Both of my Kemp (= Selden) masts have dated from 1980 - 1985 and had open cable ducts up each side of the luff groove. Modern VHF cable is thinner section than the older ones and I also found that the cable tended to come out of the duct into the groove. I fixed mine by taping the masthead instrument cable and VHF aerial cables together but you might find that wrapping tape around the cable every metre or so will fix it. It will probably help to apply a little tension to the cable.

hightech

www.sargentmarine.com
assuming you have a connection at the bottom of the mast and some other cables coming out of the same hole, undo the connection and take the cable round the other cables a couple of times and feed the twist into the mast.The twist will then work its way up the mast and around the other cables and keep them all in a neat bunch which should stay in the mast. Might be best to get the protruding bit inside before you do this.
Just need to remember to undo the twist before you pull any cables out.

bobgarrett

Visit site
Thanks for replies so far. In answer, the mast is up and there is one cable also emerging from the same place so maybe the idea of twisting them together would be good. I am not at the boat at present but before posting the query I did visit the Selden site and decide to find out which mast I have so I can see what its section is. I may also send someone up at the weekend to have a look at the top and see whether they can see the section.

Thanks for the input.

garvellachs

Visit site
VHF cable

We've had same problem with two selden masts of 80s vintage on successive boats. The original cables were held in with bits of foam pushed into the slots in the conduit (there's a conduit one each side of the main channel, open to it via a narrow slot). My first solution was to feed in a nylon hydraulic pipe - very light and slippery and I fed the cable up thru that, making its diameter bigger in effect. Second solution was to leave the foam in place, instead of wondering what it was and throwing it away. Did you notice any bits of foam?

Bav32

Visit site
I had this problem too on a Kemp / selden Mast.
The fix is quite easy.
Get the cble out of the groove and carefully place two or three turns of insulating tape roung the cable every half meter or so. Then carefully push the cable back into thee mast using a blunt screwdriver or the back of a knife.
Practice on a couple just above the boom to get just the right amount of tape .
You want just enough to make is quite tight as you push it back into the cable track. Best to determine this before you have to do it from the bosun's chair.
Do not tape it on to other cables as this becomes a nightmare if you want to remove just one.
The above might sound like quite a bit of effort, but it does work. Ask any Sigma 33 sailor as it's almost certain that they have, or a previous owner has done this.

BabaYaga

Visit site
Foam

As already suggested, small pieces of foam pushed in through the cable slot every half metre or so is the best way to keep the cable in place and stop it from rattling. You might have to make your own tool to get the foam in place.
When you want to change or check the cable, get the foam pieces out first, by hooking them with something pointy. Might have to make a special tool for that also, but it is not difficult.
More easy when the mast is down, though.

rob2

Visit site
I believe this was covered in PBO a couple of years ago. among the suggestions was to shove fairly large chunks of foam in at regular intervals. This traps the wire at the back of the conduit and stops it rattling.

Rob.