maryport

knowot

Visit site
Hi All,
Does anyone have any experience of maryport marina, as I'm thinking of relocating from the Clyde as I've moved house.

Cheers adam

pjs100

Visit site
Looked at it last year myself but wasn't impressed by the admin setup, they had vacancies but very poor coms, I'm still waiting for a phone call. I also think that the tidal range is extremely limiting with very few options if you miss the slot. They had a dolphin in there a couple of weeks ago. According to the local beeb it had to be rescued because it was being stoned from the dock wall.The rates are certainly cheap but I think it reflects on the area and services available. All IMHO of course. Try http://www.maryportmarina.com/marina.htm
JJTOP

Rooster

Visit site
We moved boat there last June from the Clyde. Marina is very quiet as out of town centre but only 5 mins walk. Handy for Whitehaven, Liverpool, North Wales, Isle of Man, Ireland and Clyde. Also, Keswick etc are just down the road. Facilities are pretty good with friendly and helpful club. They're hoping to dredge it in the next few months and are claiming over 3 hrs access each side of HW. Quite a few fin keelers there, but the area is probably most useful for bilge keels. Berthing price increase this year 8.2% /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

RufusM

Visit site
The local youths were actually shooting at the dolphin with air rifles. The police were called but of course they run away. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Had difficulty with the marina and boatyard too /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif, Whitehaven seems more popular or if you have a bilge keeler what about Kippford?

There is a plan for a new marina in Workington but although there is a little yacht club there it's not as developed as the others yet.

However, welcome to sailing in the shallow fast tidal Solway, it's never smooth we just have different sized lumps!!!

pjs100

Visit site
The police were called but of course they run away.
That's the polis for you /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
JJTOP

Visit site
Reports from a close friend, who recently moved his boat from Maryport ( convenient) to Whitehaven ( less convenient ) suggest that some of the 'local mafia' keep boats in the Maryport marina. There are published reports in local press of violence to elderly berth-holders, vandalism to boats by other berth-holders, and an unwillingness of the marina management types to manage the problems - despite CCTV footage of the occurences.
I suppose if you look like Ross Kemp and have a Hereford address, you'll fit in well. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Avocet

Visit site
We were faced with the choice between Maryport and Whitehaven 5 years ago and were advised to go for Whitehaven by a couple of local sailors partly because of the better tidal window but mainly because the entrance to Maryport can be "a bit nasty" with wind over an ebbing tide. Nobody mentioned vandalism although Maryport, like many places, I'm sure, does have its fair share.

eebygum

Visit site
Having sailed into Maryport and Whitehaven, much prefer the former. Not as noisy being a few minutes walk from town, chucking out time at Whitehaven kept us awake.Found some nice places to eat and drink in Maryport too /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Personnaly had great service from the marina and boatyard when we had a prop problem )details and some pictures on my website ..... http://www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk/Confessions01.htm)

chris_hall

Visit site
We are regulars to Whitehaven from the IOM, could'nt recommend a better place, but I have'nt tried Maryport.
Whitehaven installed new pontoons in the fish dock which has given about another 50 berths, and are in the process of installing more pontoons in the most southerly dock (can't remember its name) Access is virtually anytime and the lock keepers are very helpful. It can get abit noisy at weekends, but nothing to be concerned about.
It is well worth checking out.

Miker

Visit site
I, too, haven't tried Maryport as it is further up the coast with a smaller tidal window than Whitehaven. I also found the lockkeepers and other staff at Whitehaven very helpful, and have never had a disturbed night there. The Georgian port area is very attractive and the nearby Tesco is very useful for stocking up.

Bergman

Visit site
I was there for 3 years during the bad old days of West Coast sailing.

Eventually left in May 2000

At that time the council had kicked WCS out and put in a manager who was doing a really good job.

Reason I left was that it was such a long drive - never had any problems with vandals or mafia - did'nt know Maryport had one!

Always found entrance OK if you worked the tide ok - even on ebb if there was enough depth.

I did have some sort of concern that if you have a strong S Westerly and a flood tide and missed the entrance you were goosed - Quickly ran out of chart - "here be dragons" it says - and you would have a hell of a time getting back.

Never happened so not a problem I suppose.

As a place to sail from its great - All 4 home countries and IoM all within a days sail (maybe a day and a bit) - Always fancied going into Ravenglass but never made it.

ragger

Visit site
You have got me wooried. Have just signed up to move to Maryport.

Who are the Maryport mafia and what do they do? what's this about bertholders being assaulted? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lakesailor

Visit site
Digging in my archives I find...............

Maryport

MaryportMarina01.jpg

maryportmarina05.jpg

And Whitehaven marina

whitehmarina02.jpg

Whitehaven old harbour

whitehharbour01.jpg

And the Maryport Mafia

GullMaryport.jpg

pjs100

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The local youths were actually shooting at the dolphin with air rifles. The police were called but of course they run away. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Violent crimes up by 2000 No. in Cumbria last year according to the local BEEB tonight.

Pays your money and takes your chance?

JJTOP