Marine carpeting

G

I'm looking to put carpet on the "wheel house" floor. Since the boat is a F/line Sunfury so the wheel house is created by the canvas cover, I need carpet that's okay if wetted by seawater and can easily be washed by hose.

Can anyone recommend UK outlets for this so I can follow up.

peterg

Visit site
where ever you get it from, don't get rubber backed carpet as the backing will peel off onto the GRP of the cockpit - we bought a boat that had this and it took ages to get all the black rubber backing stuff cleaned off the white GRP.

it's not marine specific so i'd have a look at the local Allied Carpets or similar for some indoor/outdoor matting types

G

I saw another boat near where I used to moor at brightlingsea which had a carpet construction more of a mesh or honeycomb construction in some sort of manmade material. It meant that the carpet could be easily removed and hosed down if necessary.

Muddy East coast and kids do not go down well with carpets

Visit site
That stuff is sold...

... in camping/caravan shops as "carpet" for awnings & tents. It looks a bit like the non-slip table mats sold in real chandlers . It is quite non-slip to shoes though.

Steve Cronin

Visit site
Shakespeare & other.....

sports runabout builders use a marine grade carpet. I have seen it on sale in car trimmers shops in usually grey. One outlet I know for certain is "Autotrim" in Leicester tel no 0116 2664 112. If you can't get some locally perhaps Mr (Ian?) Swann there will mail you some.

Steve Cronin

BarryH

Visit site
Re: That stuff is sold...

I used the covering that is used in catering industry/bars, sounds like c**p but actually looks really good. I finised the edges around the portions of the cockpit sole that lift in ali which also gave me an edge to cut too. comes in loads of colours totally nonslip and its designed to get wet. use a scrubber (not the wife) on it frequently and it stays looking good. got mine from Mark Edwards Carpets in South wimbledon, apparently its gaurenteed for 10 years

desG

Visit site
I have been recommended "Flotex" carpet. I am told it is available from any good carpet shop but will find out when I go to buy some soon.

Apparently it is not particularly cheap but it is totally waterproof and stain proof, lays flat, does'nt curl and can be scrubbed/hosed down.

Des

Avocet

Visit site
Try "Martrim" in Middlewich, Cheshire. Explain it's for a boat. I don't know the number but Directory enquiries will have it. I got some rot-proof (I think it was Polypropylene) carpet which is pretty rough to sit on but certainly rot proof!